SL/R230: Mercedes Diesel SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Mercedes Diesel SL

The new diesel versions of the SL and SLK are tested in this month's Car magazine. As you might expect, they are said to lack refinement but there's no doubting the performance benefits. The SL400 CDI is faster to 60 than the SL500 and does 37.7mpg compared to 23.3mpg for the SL500. Probably will not appeal to the US so much but with escalating gas prices, they may appeal in Europe.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think the SL400 is coming out here, is it?

You are so lucky you get CAR magazine, I still have the PCOTY shoot out where the VX220 won and I cherish that like a child. It's such a fantastic magazine!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
Quelle Surprise!

Thought it was April 1st there for a while - so its true!

Big fan of good diesels, but only BMW's. I'd be interested if the SL didn't depreciate so much. How unrefined do they say?

I wouldn't say the petrol 6 cylinder I have is exactly a model of refinement, more woollen than silky smooth.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:22 PM

s65AMG, sl500
"The direction in which the engineers at Mercedes-Benz are taking compression ignition engines is being shown in Geneva by the two diesel-powered roadsters that boast record performance figures. A new V8 engine generates 231 kW/315 hp in the Vision SL 400 CDI and provides the eight-cylinder’s crankshaft with an outstanding torque of 730 Nm."

"New V8 diesel for the SL-Class
The new drive in the Vision SL 400 CDI also belongs to Mercedes-Benz’ third generation of CDI engines. To create this system, the engineers took the familiar four-litre V8 diesel and enhanced many of its components while also adding stateof-the-art piezo injectors, new turbochargers and an optimised water/charge-air cooling system. Taken together, all of these measures allow the engine to bring forth its power and torque in an even more harmonious fashion. The SL 400 CDI accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 5.8 seconds. As such, this diesel sports car justifiably bears the legendary letters “SL”. "

The most balanced engine design is a straight 6 or even better a V12, the the cylinders arranged in banks of 6 fire every 120 degrees and do not suffer from any inertial problems makining it smoother. It is an inherently balanced design.

see

http://www.e31.net/engines_e.html

The 5litre petrol engine is supposed to be getting uprated to 380bhp
Old 06-01-2005, 03:24 PM

SLK 230
Really??

Hey blue don't suppose you have a copy of that article do you as I have checked on the website and it states:

In the June 2005 issue of CAR:
M6 SUPER COUPE, THE FASTEST BMW EVER: GERMAN ROCKETSHIP TAKES ON PORSCHE 911 & THE CAR THAT MAKES THEM BOTH LOOK SLOW!
HIGH STREET HEROES SPECIAL! WILD NEW HONDA CIVIC, VAUXHALL ASTRA, FORD FOCUS & SEAT LEON ON YOUR STREET IN 2007
AUDI RS4 DRIVEN!: WE'RE THE FIRST PEOPLE ON THE PLANET IN THE NEW QUATTRO SUPERCAR
SEX! DRUGS! TIME TRAVEL!: THE UNTOLD STORY OF JOHN DeLOREAN
DON'T LOOK DOWN!: WE CHEAT DEATH ON THE WORLD'S MOST DANGEROUS ROAD
PLUS: RADICAL NEW BMWs RIP UP THE RULEBOOK; PEUGEOT'S CHIC NEW 1007; JEEP'S TWIN-ENGINED HURRICANE; LEXUS GS v MERC CLS v BMW 530i
WIN A RACE IN OUR GOLF GTI: A FULL WEEK'S RACE TUITION AT SILVERSTONE IS UP FOR GRABS, PLUS A RACE AT BRANDS HATCH IN THE VW RACING CUP

You would think something like a diesel SL would figure in the summary. I would be very interested to read it that's all. Thanks Oh by the way does it give any release date?
Old 06-01-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Mmmm
"The direction in which the engineers at Mercedes-Benz are taking compression ignition engines is being shown in Geneva by the two diesel-powered roadsters that boast record performance figures. A new V8 engine generates 231 kW/315 hp in the Vision SL 400 CDI and provides the eight-cylinder’s crankshaft with an outstanding torque of 730 Nm."

"New V8 diesel for the SL-Class
The new drive in the Vision SL 400 CDI also belongs to Mercedes-Benz’ third generation of CDI engines. To create this system, the engineers took the familiar four-litre V8 diesel and enhanced many of its components while also adding stateof-the-art piezo injectors, new turbochargers and an optimised water/charge-air cooling system. Taken together, all of these measures allow the engine to bring forth its power and torque in an even more harmonious fashion. The SL 400 CDI accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 5.8 seconds. As such, this diesel sports car justifiably bears the legendary letters “SL”. "

The most balanced engine design is a straight 6 or even better a V12, the the cylinders arranged in banks of 6 fire every 120 degrees and do not suffer from any inertial problems makining it smoother. It is an inherently balanced design.

see

http://www.e31.net/engines_e.html

The 5litre petrol engine is supposed to be getting uprated to 380bhp
What the?? 5.8 for the 0-100 kmh time?? That's faster than the petrol version for the current SL500. That 380hp 4 valver can't come sooner enough!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:36 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Thanks Mmmm for the info.

The direction is right, I believe, but the problem of refinement is one MB cannot have sorted. Torque and performance yes, but refinement?

I can't see these engines being the ultimate in oil burning technology. MB need to tie-up with Bose and their noise cancelling technology to produce Lexus refinement from compression engines. I am still truly amazed they are producing road-ready oil burning sports cars ahead of BMW.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
The article says it's a challenge meeting the expectations of an SL owner with a diesel even though the S320 CDI has been the best selling S class for a while here. All down ultimately to the price of gas and the fuel consumption. The SL 400 is indeed faster than the SL500 and uses only 2/3 of the fuel. All fine, but depreciation of an SL, even in the UK with our high gas prices, is 5+ times the cost of fuelling it, so gas mileage in terms of TCO is largely irrelevant.

Neil! Stop being tight! You're in the UK and can buy a copy.... The magazine also includes a review of the AM DB9 Volante (convertible). They love it, but it's clear the SL has it beat in terms of structural rigidity. I expect the DB9 shimmies over ruts in the road like the old R129 used to and that's a car they were putting together 20 years ago. We can criticise MB for some quality issues, but they do get a lot of the fundamentals right.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:10 PM

SLK 230
I will try to buy it...

Blue what is TCO? I drive 35,000 miles a year - i think a diesel SL would be ideal for me. Or maybe i should go for the diesel SLK....
Old 06-02-2005, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Total Cost of Ownership. I agree if you do 35k miles a year, gas mileage is more important. My SL covers less than 5000 as it's not my daily driver.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:04 PM

SLK 230
Daily drive...

Blue - surely your daily drive isn't the porsche careera?!!? that would eat up petrol like there is no tomorrow surely?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I'm just back from a 1500 mile vacation drive in the SL55 - 22.4mpg average; the 911 does 26 - 28 and the 355 about 13. All UK gallons which are a bit bigger than US gallons.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:31 AM

SLK 230
Not bad...

Blimey for that performance the porsche isn't bad at all! Such a shame porsche don't do hard top convertibles!
Old 06-03-2005, 03:36 AM

BMW 535d Touring
So after 1500 miles is the SL55 a true Gran Turismo, or would you have prefered to be in a DB9 or even an XK (?) instead?

I've toured in the 350 and it wasn't really the most comfortable long distant chariot - more horses would have helped.

MPG was pretty good by any standards.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I'd say the SL55 is the ideal GT. The perfect partner for driving to the south of France and along the Riviera to Portofino in Italy's Liguria.

Roof up, it devoured the 450 miles from the north coast of France to our overnight stop near Lyon and I emerged after a 5am start from London as fresh as can be. From our second overnight stay in Mougins round to Italy, the SL was in its element, roof down, the perfect cruiser.

The bit in between though was far from perfect. If you drive from Lyon to Cannes, you have two choices. 2 sides of a triangle on the fast autoroute or the twisty bit across country and over the Alps. Here, the SL55 really showed its weight through the twisting bends and I was frequently outclassed by small front-wheel drive hatchbacks piloted by someone with local knowledge of the road. I'd sprint away from them on straights, only to find then clinging to the back of my car tenaciously on the exit from the bends.

And, the SL was always in the wrong gear on exit from the bends, too high a gear. Eventually I switched to manual mode and held it in 3 which meant the car was in better shape to pull away from the bends.

Still, Portofino was a fine final destination...
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Diesel SL-portofino.jpg  
Old 06-04-2005, 02:36 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally Posted by blueSL
I'd say the SL55 is the ideal GT. 2 sides of a triangle on the fast autoroute or the twisty bit across country and over the Alps. Here, the SL55 really showed its weight through the twisting bends .
Nice pic of Portofino, good review.

I can't concur fully with your summary - its true the car is too heavy to be special through bends and, for the 350 particularly, there's simply not enough HP for the little French poodles always snapping at my heels. US SL drivers wouldn't like it in Europe.

I've always thought more low end torque in my car would be a real bonus.
(i.e SL400)

I think the conditions you describe would have suited your Porche more.

SWMBO finds the seats in the SL too flat while touring. Its not ideal for European touring IMO, but as an all round compromise - a lot of extras and a comfortable cruiser - it probably makes the SL as good as many current GT's. But then again the new VW GTi might do just as good a job.

Can see the Yanks (oops...) liking it for these very reasons, but for me now there's so much more to do to GT's for European conditions. Porche should have stayed wiith the 928 concept...

Last edited by Mustard; 06-05-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
The new diesel versions of the SL and SLK are tested in this month's Car magazine. As you might expect, they are said to lack refinement but there's no doubting the performance benefits. The SL400 CDI is faster to 60 than the SL500 and does 37.7mpg compared to 23.3mpg for the SL500. Probably will not appeal to the US so much but with escalating gas prices, they may appeal in Europe.
Blue, I can't find the article. Is it in the issue with the BMW M6 and your letter regarding MB quality? This is the most recent issue available in the US.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
No, it's the next issue dated "July". It's weird how they date the issues given that we're only just into June. As for the letter, my original email to them was (like many of my mbworld posts!) quite "wordy" and suffered at the hands of the editor's pen. And, in case Porsche are planning to send the hit squad out, I don't live in Gloucester...

Mustard, the Porsche would have been much better on the twisty bits thanks to the 4WD and manual shift but even then, out-pacing the 25 year old blonde in a VW Polo who obviously knew the road would still have been a problem. However, the ride quality and noise of the 911 would have made the long autoroute haul much more tiring. Compromise there as well and I think you are right, something like a VW might have been a better all rounder.

This same road, the N85 from Grasse to Digne-les-Bains, the Route Napoleon, is also mentioned in this months Car magazine review of the AM DB9 Volante (cabrio). The description of how that car is mirrors my own experience with the SL55 and both seem to be sensibly set compromises. Maybe 50 year old SL55 drivers are not meant to chase 25 year old blondes down mountain hair-pins...

The French (and I generalise) are press-on drivers. They tail-gate constantly and some of the overtaking situations I saw were beyond belief which makes it quite intimidating for someone trying to leave a sensible gap to the car in front, not least to prevent stone chips.

Last edited by blueSL; 06-05-2005 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:30 AM

ML 320 CDI
The SL 400 CDI must be a kill when it comes to effortless driving (even better than a Sl 55 after my idea) but I still don't see why they put this engine under the hood. on a E,S,ML, CLS or a G I can understand it but not with the SL.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:10 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Maybe 50 year old SL55 drivers are not meant to chase 25 year old blondes down mountain hair-pins...

The French (and I generalise) are press-on drivers. They tail-gate constantly and some of the overtaking situations I saw were beyond belief which makes it quite intimidating for seomone trying to leave a sensible gap to the car in front, not least to prevent stone chips.
LOL. In my experience French blondes generally want to be caught....

The French are truly mad drivers - my female French Marketing Manager, based in the UK, last week wrote off her car and three telephone poles in Cornwall! I've given her a diesel Berlingo to try to calm her down....
Old 06-05-2005, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I agree, maybe they see it as a show case for their new diesel technology ("If it's good enough to put in the SL, is must be just fine for your C class...)
Old 06-05-2005, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Mustard, I agree, mad is the word, I was just trying to be diplomatic!
Old 06-05-2005, 01:14 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally Posted by Paul Le Corre
The SL 400 CDI must be a kill when it comes to effortless driving (even better than a Sl 55 after my idea) but I still don't see why they put this engine under the hood. on a E,S,ML, CLS or a G I can understand it but not with the SL.
Paul

My initial thought too, why under a the bonnet of a sports car?

But honestly, I believe diesels are the way forward for Europe in the short term - low end torque to use, great MPG, increasingly brilliant refinement (BMW should be the standard) and reliability far beyond standards we petrolheads are used too.

Took a new MB Vito 111 CDi to France last week - reliable, cheap to run, quiet and altogether totally acceptable.

With the UK now planning a mileage charge of £1.35 (2.00€ per 1.6 Kms) I strongly believe we in Europe have to adapt or die...
Old 06-05-2005, 03:44 PM

SLK 230
I agree...

I agree - there is one thing with making cars faster and faster - but for everyday use 15mpg is not at all very useful. In the end of the day I want a lovely convertible car to drive around in for work rather than a coupe. Peugeot already have a diesel hard top convertible it seems only natural that Mercedes were to follow....personally I can't wait
Old 06-05-2005, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I would get a SL 400 CDI. But will it have the same power and speed to pass anyone over 60 MPHs. I really do not car about low-end speed, but need enough speed and power to pass cars on the Interstate here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Mercedes Diesel SL