SL/R230: Car parking...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230
Car parking...

Hi,

I suppose this thread is really aimed at those that use their SL as an everyday machine.

I presently have an old SLK and I have to say carparking is becoming more of a nightmare. Here is the UK it seems car parking space is becoming smaller and smaller especially in multistoreys (maybe they think we all drive minis!) and many a time I set off an hour early just to be able to manoeuvre in a car park and find a space and then when i manage to find a space I just about manage to get out of my car - and I am very slim! I was wondering if SL drivers face a similar problem especially as it is a bigger car - firstly is manoevring in a car park a problem or is the steering good in tight spaces, secondly is it tricky to park in the gaps which they provide and thirdly is it tricky to actually get out once you have parked? Has anyone found any good ways around this?

Would appreciate people's thoughts.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Here in the land of the giant SUV, the SL hardly qualifies a big car. I use it as my everyday commuting car partly because it is so small and maneuverable relative to most alternatives. I’m just sorry the doors of my garage at home aren't tall enough for a Hummer H2! As it is, the biggest I can fit is a Lexus LX470 (Toyota Land Cruiser).
Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Know what you mean about the spaces getting narrower! In the UK, the SL's wider than most so if in doubt I'll straddle 2 spaces and not take the chance someone will squeeze in - because they will! At work the other day, someone parked so close I couldn't get in without lowering the window and had to squeeze in. And that was when I parked right in the middle of the space! There are too many thoughtless cretins about.
It's not too bad manoeuvring but I've rarely put myself in the position as I tend to drive and park defensively!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL350
Originally Posted by NeilC123
...many a time I set off an hour early just to be able to manoeuvre in a car park and find a space and then when i manage to find a space I just about manage to get out of my car - and I am very slim! I was wondering if SL drivers face a similar problem especially...
If you can afford an SL, then you can afford to buy 1 or 2 parking spaces in a private building. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $$$ concerned because not only does it give your beauty a 'home' each day, but it is an investment, and after selling the ROI may even pay for your petrol.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Exclamation Sorry...

Originally Posted by Ken Silver
If you can afford an SL, then you can afford to buy 1 or 2 parking spaces in a private building.
Huge generalization that one should not make, IMHO. Sorry, but I make it a point of never counting other people's money.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:54 AM

2005 SL 500
I don't drive it daily, but it is my primary car. I'm don't think I'm going to drive it this winter. Anyway, if you can't find a corner, I suggest parking as far away as you have to in order to find one. I park in some pretty packed places, but I would never park my SL in a space where some dingbat or some dingbat's kid can swing their door open into my car. If I'm running into the store to pickup take-out Chinese food or something and I can see the car at all times, I might park in a regular space, otherwise I'm walking.

Want to keep the car ding free? Don't be afraid to park a quarter to a half mile away. Hey, the walking is good for you.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Walking

I typically park away from most everyone else. For one the exercise won't hurt and it saves the car from being dinged. A lot of careless people and several adults are worse than kids. I see people hit other people with their doors on a regular basis and most don't even look to see if they caused any damage, they are totally inconsiderate of other peoples property.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:23 AM

08 CL600 Black
I agree. I park my cars way out in the mall parking lot or find a corner spot. I don't mind the walk. However, I've also come across some people who would intentionally park right beside my car even if it sits alone at the farthest areas of the mall parking lot....aarrrggghhh!
Old 07-31-2005, 06:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
Unhappy keying

Originally Posted by jettie1767
I agree. I park my cars way out in the mall parking lot or find a corner spot. I don't mind the walk. However, I've also come across some people who would intentionally park right beside my car even if it sits alone at the farthest areas of the mall parking lot....aarrrggghhh!

when i wa a kid, i had just had my black autin healy mk2 repainted. pulled into a coffee shop and parked in the far corner at an angle. when i was leaving, sure enough, there was a car next to me at the same angle. there was a door chip i could see 150 feet away. i was young and had a temper then. what happened next is best left unsaid. a few months back my family went to see the movie the passion. i drove our jag xk8 conv. it's a 99, but had never been dinged or scratched. when we came out, the left rear panel had been keyed. what's wrong with people?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:33 PM

03 E500
Originally Posted by jettie1767
I'll have to admit I have done that. Usually I see a nice car parked away at the corner I feel mine would be safe next to it so I would park next to it even though there are several spaces available.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by Dvinn
I'll have to admit I have done that. Usually I see a nice car parked away at the corner I feel mine would be safe next to it so I would park next to it even though there are several spaces available.

I have park so far away and discovered a car so close to my car that makes me want to blow up that car. I just do not understand why people want to park next to me when there are at least 100 parking spots available from where I am park to the door of the store.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:16 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I have park so far away and discovered a car so close to my car that makes me want to blow up that car. I just do not understand why people want to park next to me when there are at least 100 parking spots available from where I am park to the door of the store.
At work, I parked in the middle of 2 empty rows of spaces - 5 mins later a car was parked right next to mine. Out of all those spaces! Why?!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL350
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Huge generalization that one should not make, IMHO. Sorry, but I make it a point of never counting other people's money.
The mistake many secondhand SL owners make is to want the 'look' without the expensive upkeep. But since we're all in the R230 forum, I'm assuming that most people here have leapt those financial boundaries.

However, I see now from reading the post again that it was an 'old' SLK, so maybe I shouldn't have made the assumption it was a second car.

And coincidentally I read in this morning's paper that Londoners are paying up to US$353,000 (GBP200,000) for a single parking space in the central city. One of our enterprising business-people here is selling stackers that can fit 4 to that space. That makes it very affordable if you charge rental for the other 3 tiers to cover the purchase price of both land and unit.

While in Japan a few months ago I saw similar stackers holding at least a dozen cars.

Food for thought!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I paid $40000 for one of mine a few years ago and I thought that was expensive enough...
Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM

03 E500
In Asia a lot of places you have to buy a floor in a building to be able to even buy a parking space. You can't just buy a parking space anymore.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:24 PM

08 CL600 Black
Originally Posted by tiggerfink

I have to totally agree on this one. Happened to me many times anywhere!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm okay with someone with a nice car parking next to me. You guys okay with that?

Usually I really like it when there are like three Bimmers in a row
Old 08-02-2005, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Hmm...

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I'm okay with someone with a nice car parking next to me. You guys okay with that?

Usually I really like it when there are like three Bimmers in a row

I thought you said your are ok with someone with a NICE car parking next to you, how did Bimmers get in there
Old 08-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ssssh, at least I didn't say Mercedes! Ohhhh

I think it's cool to see cars that just appear randomly that are nicely hooked up, say three nice X5's that parked together, but it was pure coincidence...