SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL55 AMG or SL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG or SL600

I’ve been a Porsche 911 owner for the last decade (I’ve had 10 different 911’s) and finally I’ve grown up and decided to switch to I believe my dream car – the SL.

Yesterday I test-drove the SL55 AMG at my local MB dealer and it was a great ride. I think I have decided that my next car and first SL will be the 600 but since my dealer doesn’t have an SL600 for me to test-drive I turn to you guys: What are the characteristic differences between the SL55 AMG and the SL600?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
This topic has been discussed a number of times. Here's a link to one such thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/60870-sl55-sl600-differences.html
Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by Perre
I’ve been a Porsche 911 owner for the last decade (I’ve had 10 different 911’s) and finally I’ve grown up and decided to switch to I believe my dream car – the SL.

Yesterday I test-drove the SL55 AMG at my local MB dealer and it was a great ride. I think I have decided that my next car and first SL will be the 600 but since my dealer doesn’t have an SL600 for me to test-drive I turn to you guys: What are the characteristic differences between the SL55 AMG and the SL600?
You will really want to test drive the 600 to see and feel and hear the differences for yourself to know which one is right for you. It was an easy decision for me after that. Have fun!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
helpfull

Originally Posted by sillydriver
This topic has been discussed a number of times. Here's a link to one such thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60870
you will find that thread helpfull. my wife now drives an sl600 and we could'nt be happier. it is smooth and powerfull, luxurious ad safe. also prtty hot looking. (get the amg package). reading all the threads was helpfull to me in purchasing. i think the majority here prefer the 55, but i thought, eventually the loud exhaust would wear me out. i was not willing to give up any of the luxury either. the ride in comfort is very nice. if you've decided after getting the 600 you want more pop, the after market upgrades to the 600 are both greater and easier for the 600.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by Perre

The 55 has a brute muscle car feel with a nice throaty exhaust note.
The 600 has a smoother power delivery and is very quiet.
The 600 has a more luxurious interior, leather covers the dash, doors etc...
Coming from a 911 I think you will be more at home in the 55. You have the characteristics of the Porshce with the smooth Mercedes ride.

Another thing to consider is resale and depreciation. The 600's take a big hit and are harder to sell in the used market.
Personally I like the 600, the interior gets me everytime.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:19 PM

2005 SL600 Designo, Graphite Gray, Panorama Roof
As an ex 996TT owner, an ex Diablo owner, an ex M3 owner, and current SL600 owner, here are some relevant observations:

The SL600 is more comfortable than my Porsche for sure, and just as fast. It blows me away how fast this car is stock, let alone modded with a new computer chip.

But when compared to an SL55, perhaps you should consider the following:

The SL55 has a more aggressive exhaust note, love it or hate it. You cannot come close to that exhaust note because of the V12's combustion chamber characteristics...modded exhausts on these things just aren't as rumbly/aggressive as they are on an SL55...but I like my car quiet.
The SL600 can be upgraded to over 600hp with a simple computer chip upgrade. I believe the SL55 can only (yeah, ONLY) go up to about 575hp with upgrades;
The SL55 seems to depreciate less rapidly than our SL600's;
The SL600 is a great sleeper...most people don't know its a V12, let alone a V12 TT. I've spanked Mustangs, C5Z06's, M3's, and modded Evo's and WRX's.

Styling: Toss up...which do you like better? Get the AMG package on the SL600 and the cars are nearly identical.

Gas mileage: if you can afford either car, who cares?

Insurance: Cheaper on an SL600 (at least at my company), but who cares?

WOW Factor: The SL600 is quicker than an SL55, sure, but modestly. As for which car impresses more, the AMG would have to get the nod.

Maintenance: Who knows? I've got 1900 miles on my SL600, so you'd have to search and see what kind of experiences people are having with 04-05 models of both.

One last consideration: If you're going to change wheels, why buy the SL55?
Just for the blower, right? Because if you change the wheels on an SL55 and get the AMG package (body kit), the cars are visually identical.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
The 55 has a brute muscle car feel with a nice throaty exhaust note.
The 600 has a smoother power delivery and is very quiet.
The 600 has a more luxurious interior, leather covers the dash, doors etc...
Coming from a 911 I think you will be more at home in the 55. You have the characteristics of the Porshce with the smooth Mercedes ride.

Another thing to consider is resale and depreciation. The 600's take a big hit and are harder to sell in the used market.
Personally I like the 600, the interior gets me everytime.
Leather covers the dash, doors, rear compartment, everything on the 55 as well and also has the alcantra headliner, visors and instrument pod. The seats are also different on the 55 and to myself are much more supportive.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:03 PM

2011 E63, 2018 AMG GT Convertible
SL600 gets my vote

Loved the Porsches I had, and the older SLs were fun too. But the 600 gets the nod in my book. I'm for comfort now, with an occassionaly blast of power! My wife keeps telling me to get another SL600, but we need a sedan to haul folks around - at least that's what I keep telling myself (for now).
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
Originally Posted by Stricks
Loved the Porsches I had, and the older SLs were fun too. But the 600 gets the nod in my book. I'm for comfort now, with an occassionaly blast of power! My wife keeps telling me to get another SL600, but we need a sedan to haul folks around - at least that's what I keep telling myself (for now).

wellcome to my life. only i drive the sedan and my wife gets the sl.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 AM

none
Originally Posted by lkirchner
Leather covers the dash, doors, rear compartment, everything on the 55 as well and also has the alcantra headliner, visors and instrument pod. The seats are also different on the 55 and to myself are much more supportive.
No it does not. The SL55 has the same material on the doors and dash as the Sl500.
The only way you get leather on the dash is ordering the "black nappa leather" option.
I drove both cars last week, I know what I am talking about.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:44 AM

2005 SL600 Designo, Graphite Gray, Panorama Roof
No it does not. The SL55 has the same material on the doors and dash as the Sl500.
The only way you get leather on the dash is ordering the "black nappa leather" option.
Correct...the Nappa leather option gets you the soft touch dash and seats. Having owned a CLK500 with the standard "Pleather," I can tell you that there is NO comparison. I would never again get a Benz without the Nappa leather option but thankfully, my Designo SL600 has it.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Right from the Mercedes web site interior specifications SL55 :
Hand-fitted AMG-designed perforated leather seating surfaces with metal AMG badges. Premium leather on dash, console, doors, armrests, roll bar and rear cabin panels. Contrasting top-stitching on doors, dash and console. Alcantara covering instrument-cluster hood, ceiling and sun visors.

I own one and I know what I am talking about
Old 08-12-2005, 01:48 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Smile

Hand-fitted AMG-designed perforated leather seating surfaces with metal AMG badges. Premium leather on dash, console, doors, armrests, roll bar and rear cabin panels. Contrasting top-stitching on doors, dash and console. Alcantara covering instrument-cluster hood, ceiling and sun visors.

The X11 Black Nappa leather option on the SL600 includes leather on the instrument cluster, and on the seat backs and over the entire surfaces on the rear area as well. Nice textured contrasting leather in certain areas as well. It's definitely a nice upgrade from the standard SL600 or the SL55.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:48 PM

none

Have you sat in a SL600? Obviously not. The material used on the 55 dash and doors is NOT the same as the Sl600
specs on SL500 (same as the SL55) <Hand-fitted premium leather upholstery on seats, head restraints, dash, console, doors, armrests, roll bar and rear cabin panels.>

SPECS ON SL600 interior <Exclusive leather interior treatment with glove-soft Nappa leather hand-fitted to seats, head restraints, dash, console, doors, armrests, roll bar and rear cabin panels. Color-keyed top-stitching on doors, dash and console. Alcantara covering ceiling and sun visors.>

Drive to the dealership and look at both. ITS NOT THE SAME.
The SL600 has a smooth, more expensive leather than what the 55 has.
The ONLY way you get the same interios as the SL600 is to get the Napa leather option.
The interior on the SL600 is night and day comared to a Sl500 or Sl55.
. My point is that the BOTH the 55 and 500 share the same interior materials sans the headliner. The Sl600's leather is of a VERY high quality... and its very noticeable.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:10 PM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
Originally Posted by craiglieberman
As an ex 996TT owner, an ex Diablo owner, an ex M3 owner, and current SL600 owner, here are some relevant observations:

The SL600 is more comfortable than my Porsche for sure, and just as fast. It blows me away how fast this car is stock, let alone modded with a new computer chip.

But when compared to an SL55, perhaps you should consider the following:

The SL55 has a more aggressive exhaust note, love it or hate it. You cannot come close to that exhaust note because of the V12's combustion chamber characteristics...modded exhausts on these things just aren't as rumbly/aggressive as they are on an SL55...but I like my car quiet.
The SL600 can be upgraded to over 600hp with a simple computer chip upgrade. I believe the SL55 can only (yeah, ONLY) go up to about 575hp with upgrades;
The SL55 seems to depreciate less rapidly than our SL600's;
The SL600 is a great sleeper...most people don't know its a V12, let alone a V12 TT. I've spanked Mustangs, C5Z06's, M3's, and modded Evo's and WRX's.

Styling: Toss up...which do you like better? Get the AMG package on the SL600 and the cars are nearly identical.

Gas mileage: if you can afford either car, who cares?

Insurance: Cheaper on an SL600 (at least at my company), but who cares?

WOW Factor: The SL600 is quicker than an SL55, sure, but modestly. As for which car impresses more, the AMG would have to get the nod.

Maintenance: Who knows? I've got 1900 miles on my SL600, so you'd have to search and see what kind of experiences people are having with 04-05 models of both.

One last consideration: If you're going to change wheels, why buy the SL55?
Just for the blower, right? Because if you change the wheels on an SL55 and get the AMG package (body kit), the cars are visually identical.
Then you must have the standard AMG seats/leather. The exclusive leather package is standard on the SL600 and optional on the SL55. I have the optional exculsive leather with walnut trim.
Attached Thumbnails SL55 AMG or SL600-d-door-open.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 AM

Thank you

Thank you everybody for your thoughts and comments. I’ll have some thinking to do and will also try to get my hands on an SL600 for a test drive. Maybe I’ll end up with buying an SL55 and drive that for 2 years and then trade it for an SL600.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I agree that standard MB leather is not good, coarsely grained and generally unpleasant. Here, what we call the exclusive nappa leather upgrade option is what you guys are talking about and greatly improves the feel of the car.

I'm going the other way in that I've had the SL55 for 3 years and have come back to Porsche and recently moved to a 996 TT because I've re-discovered just how much fun the 911 is to drive.

The SL is a much better choice if you are mainly doing freeway and city driving. The 911 comes into its own off on the twisties; it's also somewhat faster stock than either the SL55 or SL600, though none of them is a slouch.

Difficult to choose between them, I'm pleased I have both, would be a tough choice if I could only have one. What I do know is that since a 911 has come back into my life, my SL has done hardly any miles, though it was the car of choice to drive to the South of France earlier this year. But, I have just turned 50, so maybe I'm busy chasing lost youth...