SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Anyone with Squeaky Brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with Squeaky Brakes?

I have had my 2003 SL500 in the shop twice to have them fix my brakes, they are squealing very loudly. The first time they said they showed no evidence of noice (they apparently didn't try very hard), and the second time they said they made an adjustment due to a technical service bulletin. I bring it home, and they're squealing as loud as ever!

Has anybody else had problems like this, and do you know what can be done?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:45 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
I have bad news for you

I have had 4 SL's with SBC and then all squeal and chirp. It varies depending on how dusty the area is and how often I wash the car. Service tries soaking the pads in something which works for a week or so and then all the noises return.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:45 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts
I've had this problem on and off with my current CLK500; the dealership just replaced the pads and rotors but the squeak is back, although intermittent.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:54 PM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by bboyer32
I have had my 2003 SL500 in the shop twice to have them fix my brakes, they are squealing very loudly. The first time they said they showed no evidence of noice (they apparently didn't try very hard), and the second time they said they made an adjustment due to a technical service bulletin. I bring it home, and they're squealing as loud as ever!

Has anybody else had problems like this, and do you know what can be done?
i had a similar problem (i posted a thread a few months ago); in any event, my SL 600 (which i had purchased after it sat on a lot for 2 months in some rain) developed some rust on the front brakes and squealed like crazy every time i came to a stop. This happened at 1200 miles; in any event, they were replaced under warranty, and happy to say i haven't had any problems since; yours should probably be changed Good luck!!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I have to say the brakes are very quiet on my 2004 SL500.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
Replaced my pads due to low pad material. I used a "Green" type pad. Brand escapes me at this time. Had VERY bad squeeking. Removed them, installed anti-squeel pad that pad manufactured said not to use. Slightly better. Removed pads, lubed all contact points, slightly better. Still squeeking at low speeds. Took vehicle out and made several high speed panic stops, reduced squeel somemore. Removed pads, removed all lubrication, filed edges of pads where metal particles were visible and protruding (top and bottom edges). Used anti squeel spray (blue tacky substance) on rear of pads and one side of anti squeel shim. Brakes are dead quiet now. Skip to last proceedure and save yourself some time and effort. You can work on the brakes ONLY if the automatic brake booster/check is dissabled. You can do this eigther by MB Star computer or by locking the car doors and keeping them locked while doing the work. Good luck
Glenn
Old 09-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by glennbaz
Replaced my pads due to low pad material. I used a "Green" type pad. Brand escapes me at this time. Had VERY bad squeeking. Removed them, installed anti-squeel pad that pad manufactured said not to use. Slightly better. Removed pads, lubed all contact points, slightly better. Still squeeking at low speeds. Took vehicle out and made several high speed panic stops, reduced squeel somemore. Removed pads, removed all lubrication, filed edges of pads where metal particles were visible and protruding (top and bottom edges). Used anti squeel spray (blue tacky substance) on rear of pads and one side of anti squeel shim. Brakes are dead quiet now. Skip to last proceedure and save yourself some time and effort. You can work on the brakes ONLY if the automatic brake booster/check is dissabled. You can do this eigther by MB Star computer or by locking the car doors and keeping them locked while doing the work. Good luck
Glenn
EBC Greenstuff?
Old 09-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500 Sports Package
Yes Exact Same Problem With 2003 SL500

Hi -

Yes my brakes squeak like crazy - it's driving me nutz!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
Yes. They were EBC brand.
Glenn