SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Anyone also upgrade brakes with the RENNTECH engine mod in the SL600?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Anyone also upgrade brakes with the RENNTECH engine mod in the SL600?

i am going to do the RENNTECH upgrade in my SL600- the sales guy at the place where i am having it done highly recommended I also upgrade my stock brakes- he said the Brembro brakes are lighter and also have better stopping power. How many of you with the RENNTECH have upgraded their brakes and did you feel a significant difference in terms of stopping power. That's the one thing even about the stock SL600 I think doesn't quite feel as strong as I would like it. And for those that haven't changed their brakes, have they encountered any problems in terms of not being able to stop quick enough, or premature wear on their pads, etc? Thanks....
Old 09-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
He highly recommded that you blow money on something you probably don't need right now.

What go-fast modifications have you done so far? The advantage of bigger brakes is that they will dissapte heat quicker, as well as prevent brake fade after repeated use (which happens on a track).

Plus, why would you spend the 5995$MSRP on the 15" RENNtech kit, when it's basically a rebadged Brembo Kit which has a MSRP of 4295$ (If I remember right).

IMO, contact www.evosport.com or www.euroteckmotorsports.com and go ahead get the Brembo Big Brake kit all around or the StopTech Big Brake Kit for your car and save yourself a lot of money.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:18 PM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
He highly recommded that you blow money on something you probably don't need right now.

What go-fast modifications have you done so far? The advantage of bigger brakes is that they will dissapte heat quicker, as well as prevent brake fade after repeated use (which happens on a track).

Plus, why would you spend the 5995$MSRP on the 15" RENNtech kit, when it's basically a rebadged Brembo Kit which has a MSRP of 4295$ (If I remember right).

IMO, contact www.evosport.com or www.euroteckmotorsports.com and go ahead get the Brembo Big Brake kit all around or the StopTech Big Brake Kit for your car and save yourself a lot of money.
Ricky, thanks man...i kind of figured he was trying to talk me into something. I haven't done any mods yet; do you think i even have to upgrade my stock brakes- i don't plan on using the car on the track- pretty much just in the city and freeway driving.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Don't do the BBK then unless it's just for looks
Old 09-15-2005, 01:03 AM

'08 E63 - P 30, 66GT 350 (sold)
Brake upgrade?

Dr. K,

Check out some stopping distance figures. I was amazed when I read various stopping distances before and after expensive brake upgrades.

Don't quote me but I believe I read that on a Suburban (which obviously has lousy brakes) that an expensive brake conversion stopped the car something like 10~15' sooner than stock. $5K plus for decreasing the stopping distance by 10 feet???????????

When I went to Vegas for the AMG advanced driving school I flogged the s*it out the cars, while the brake overheating warning lamp came on they still pulled the car down pretty damn fine. I can't imagine why you'd need to upgrade the brakes because you add 50 or so extra HP.

Maybe get better pads from Porterfields or other aftermarket pads but no new rotors & calipers IMHO.

Are you enjoying your relocation to So Cal from the Bay Area?

Cheers-
Old 09-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

On the Suburban? No I think it was a considerate amount more, BUT you do have the right idea.

For the W203 C55 the Kleemann BBK only shaved off some 6ft, BUT (notice a trend? ) the heat dissapation was amazingly better (at least in theory anyways) and it had a lot less brake fade.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
The Mercedes engineers at MBCA Star Tech told us it was a waste of money to upgrade the brakes on a Mercedes. He said you would get a better increase in stopping if you upgrade the brakes on a Honda or Hyundai. Mercedes along with BMW have better brake designs than most cars.

I know for fact that the brakes suck on a Honda Accord, and I was so happy wife got rid it.

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
The Mercedes engineers at MBCA Star Tech told us it was a waste of money to upgrade the brakes on a Mercedes. He said you would get a better increase in stopping if you upgrade the brakes on a Honda or Hyundai. Mercedes along with BMW have better brake designs than most cars.

I know for fact that the brakes suck on a Honda Accord, and I was so happy wife got rid it.
That is very true, but I among others will attest to the fact that our stock brakes cannot dissapate heat well. I have had brake fade all too often, even when doing just mildly aggressive driving.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I drive very mild. My tires still look great with about 19,500 miles on them.

I can see getting the upgrade, if you take your car to the track all the time or just want the best results. With my driving style, the brake upgrade would be a waste for me.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
The stock brakes can easily stop the wheels and activate the anti-lock, so the car’s stopping performance is totally limited by the traction of the tires. Aftermarket brakes are warranted only if the car is raced on a track where the stock brakes might overheat.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I drive very mild. My tires still look great with about 19,500 miles on them.

I can see getting the upgrade, if you take your car to the track all the time or just want the best results. With my driving style, the brake upgrade would be a waste for me.
So I take it you're like my dad

Keep stock brakes, that way warranty can still cover costs. IMO it's not worth it, especially with the lack of real world gains you'll see.