SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Bluetooth

Old 12-07-2005, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
Bluetooth

I ordered my blue tooth PSE today. It will work with most Motorola Blue tooth phones. I will let you all know how it works.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:24 PM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I ordered my blue tooth PSE today. It will work with most Motorola Blue tooth phones. I will let you all know how it works.
What's PSE? a module to allow the use of Bluetooth phones in the SL?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by vkapoormd
What's PSE? a module to allow the use of Bluetooth phones in the SL?
I think it means Portable small equipment. Go here for more information. http://www.eiskits.com/MB.html

The bluetooth interface replaces the Mercedes PSE/and all Mercedes phone equipment in your car. The bluetooth interface will allow you to use most of the bluetooth phones in your car system. I like the bluetooth interface, because I can use my Cingular work phone and my Verzion phone in my car.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:34 PM

2004 SL 500
Bluetooth

I'd love to hear how it works, how easy/difficult it was to install and approximately how much.

Thank you, Cristian.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 GLK350 & S63, 2020 C63 & G63 and 2021 GLC63
Tiggerfink

Were you successful in installing bluetooth ?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I asked them not to ship it out until Monday because I was traveling. I hope to see it this week. Its is $865 for a Mercedes.

https://www.connects2usa.com/index.html

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-13-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by puranm
Tiggerfink

Were you successful in installing bluetooth ?
It works great with my Cingular MPx 220. I will try it with my Verizon E815 when it comes in. Took me 15 minutes to install in my SLK320. It sounds a lot better than my Mercedes phone system in my SL500.

I recommend the Aros bluetooth system over the Mercedes crap.

Look at the Argo system. That is all you need to get any bluetooth phone to work in your car.
Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth-arogs.jpg  

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-14-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:13 PM

'08 E63 - P 30, 66GT 350 (sold)
Do you still MBZ phone option?

Do you still need to order the MBZ phone option to get speaker phone capability through the audio system and a hands free mic or can a high end stereo installer install the argos system and mic, etc and save the $$$ that MBZ charges?

As I type I'm thinking you still need the MBZ option so the stereo volume decreases when answering, etc. but thought I'd ask.

Cheers-
Old 12-15-2005, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by VinceB
Do you still need to order the MBZ phone option to get speaker phone capability through the audio system and a hands free mic or can a high end stereo installer install the argos system and mic, etc and save the $$$ that MBZ charges?

As I type I'm thinking you still need the MBZ option so the stereo volume decreases when answering, etc. but thought I'd ask.

Cheers-
You do not need the Mercedes phone/kit, cradle, and PSE. The radio/CD will automatically mute when you place or receive a call. You can use the optional Mercedes Voice Recognition Module/kit with the Argos system.

The Agos bluetooth system works like the Mercedes phone system. On my SLK 320 that does not have the VRM, I was able to use the Mercedes mic, Mercedes car speakers, and command to make calls and listen to my calls. Even the mute button works on the command.

The only thing you need is the Argos system. I would add the Mercedes Voice Recognition Module/kit, so I would have voice control over my phone.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Almost a Member!

SL500
so which is better?

so for a 2003 SL500- do you recommend the mikbox or argos system?

since i have a motorola razor, i'm thinking of just going with the argos system instead of the mikbox.... since i would need to get a different phone and cradle to use the mikbox.

are there any differences in the features? sound quality?
any help would be appreciated!

thanks!
Old 12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by dyllanc
so for a 2003 SL500- do you recommend the mikbox or argos system?

since i have a motorola razor, i'm thinking of just going with the argos system instead of the mikbox.... since i would need to get a different phone and cradle to use the mikbox.

are there any differences in the features? sound quality?
any help would be appreciated!

thanks!
The mikbox solution only works if you have the original Mercedes phone system. Mikbox acts as an interface between non Mercedes phones to the Mercedes PSE. Mikbox will allow you to use most Motorola phones with the Mercedes phone system. You do not need a cradle because you can plug the mikbox cable directly into the phone. I think the cable will work with most Motorola phones, but please verify with Mik. The cable can plug into the hang-up cup/cradle for added strength. If you want to use the hang-up cup/cradle, you will have to purchase the hang-up cup for your phone from Mikbox.

Both solutions are excellent and achieve the same goal of using non-Mercedes phones with more phone choices. The only disadvantage that I see with the Argos system is that your phone will have to use the car phone charger that connects into the cigarette lighter for power sometimes. I like the Argos system, because I can leave my phone in my bag and not worry about connecting it to any cables.

I have not noticed any difference in sound quality between the Mercedes phone system and Argos. According to my wife, the Argos system sounds more natural.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-21-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500
Thanks for the 411!

How come you didn't wait for the Mercedes Benz Bluetooth (puck) that's suppose to come out soon? Is that going to work on our car? SL R230? Any idea of pricetag?

I actually have the mercedes v60 motorola phone system in my car. But since i have cingular service and the v60 phone is not gsm. I can't really use it. I use a Moto Razor now and was hoping not to have to change phones to use in the car. Mikbox doesn't support Razors right now- so i'm leaning towards Argos. But it's pretty expensive!

what do you think is my best solution?
1. wait for MB bluetooth to come out?
2. get mikbox and get a new phone?
3. spend $900 for the argos bluetooth system?

Any recommendations?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
How come you didn't wait for the Mercedes Benz Bluetooth (puck) that's suppose to come out soon? Is that going to work on our car? SL R230? Any idea of pricetag?

I actually have the mercedes v60 motorola phone system in my car. But since i have cingular service and the v60 phone is not gsm. I can't really use it. I use a Moto Razor now and was hoping not to have to change phones to use in the car. Mikbox doesn't support Razors right now- so i'm leaning towards Argos. But it's pretty expensive!

what do you think is my best solution?
1. wait for MB bluetooth to come out?
2. get mikbox and get a new phone?
3. spend $900 for the argos bluetooth system?

Any recommendations?
I was told by MBUSA that the bluetooth puck is for the phones on Mercedes MHOST fiber system. Our SL use D2B fiber system. The 2005 SLs and newer SLs can use the bluetooth puck when it comes out. But all this information may change and Mercedes may have a solution for our cars that use D2B. The company that will handle Mercedes phones will be www.getaws.com

I was told by www.getaws.com that there will be a Mercedes bluetooth solution in 1Q for all Mercedes from 2000 and up. www.getaws.com could not give me a price. Mercedes is no longer in the phone business. Mercedes contracted www.getaws.com to handle all Mercedes phone stuff.

I purchased the Argos for $865 for my SLK320. My SLK does not have the Mercedes phone/kit. That is cheap because the Mercedes phone kit for a SLK is about $1,400.

My SL500 has the high-end Mercedes V60p. Best technology in the world when I got it in 2004. I am joking. MBUSA and the dealer told me that the V600 and the V710 would work in my SL when the phone comes out. Yeah right and a year later! I just do not believe Mercedes will have a bluetooth solution for my 2004 SL500 or 2002 SLK320 because of the old D2B fiber technology.

It is up to you to purchase Argos bluetooth system or wait for the Mercedes bluetooth solution. Maybe the Mercedes bluetooth solution will have the correct brackets to install the bluetooth equipment in your car. If your SL is older than my SL, I would not bet on a Mercedes bluetooth solution for your car. I do know that Argos works great in my cars with no disappointments. If I was disappointed with the Argos system, I would be the first to tell everyone.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-21-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500
Thanks for the Advice!

So now decisions: I'll write out my thought process for anyone else in the same dilema.
For mikbox i would need to get:
1) mikbox $250
2) v620 phone $125 (from ebay)
3) v620 cradle $100
total: $475

For Argos:
1) $865 Argos System

So about $390 difference. But with argos, i get to use my Motorola Razor. And Argos uses bluetooth while mikbox does not.
Few more questions:

1) if i install the argos system in my 2003 Sl500, will any person with a bluetooth enabled phone be able to use it when driving my car? or is it registered only to my car?

2) How hard is it to install the argos system? Did you do it yourself? Any issues?

3) Can you think of any other pros and cons? I am debating the too... but leaning towards the Argos System. Although the mikbox has gotten good reviews as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
So now decisions: I'll write out my thought process for anyone else in the same dilema.
For mikbox i would need to get:
1) mikbox $250
2) v620 phone $125 (from ebay)
3) v620 cradle $100
total: $475

For Argos:
1) $865 Argos System

So about $390 difference. But with argos, i get to use my Motorola Razor. And Argos uses bluetooth while mikbox does not.
Few more questions:

1) if i install the argos system in my 2003 Sl500, will any person with a bluetooth enabled phone be able to use it when driving my car? or is it registered only to my car?

2) How hard is it to install the argos system? Did you do it yourself? Any issues?

3) Can you think of any other pros and cons? I am debating the too... but leaning towards the Argos System. Although the mikbox has gotten good reviews as well.
That’s a tough decision. Mikbox and Agros both make an excellent system that allows you to use non-Mercedes phones. Mikbox and Argos have very good customer service. The instructions are very easy. I installed Agros in my SL and took it out and installed it in my SLK. I even broke the Argos system and Connect2USA sent me a new Agros device in 3 days under warranty.

Go here for more information on Argos. http://www.bluecarkit.com/forum/view...02d0772b984adb

I have post your question at that site. (if will any person with a bluetooth enabled phone be able to use it when driving my car? or is it registered only to my car?) I do know that only one bluetooth phone can work with Argos at any given time. In order for the other phones to work, the Command and Argos have to pair with each other during the paring process. Read section 3 on the instructions about pairing. http://www.eiskits.com/documents/S%2...0-%20FINAL.pdf

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-22-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Verizon RAZR

Anyone tried using the new Verizon Razr phone with the ARGOS Bluetooth system? ...in the SL600 '04 or '03?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by Trimmer2
Anyone tried using the new Verizon Razr phone with the ARGOS Bluetooth system? ...in the SL600 '04 or '03?

Go here and look. http://www.bluecarkit.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

So far there are mix results.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Go here and look. http://www.bluecarkit.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

So far there are mix results.
Thank you. I've posted there also but, not much response. Randy thought it should work... I'm just conserned about the menu system being different in the Verizon Razr and there's more to the connection than just Bluetooth. The Cingulair Razr and the Verizon Razr are very different in there layouts. The Cingulair (TDMA) Razr's menu is much more similar to the V710 and E815.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
It works great with my Cingular MPx 220. I will try it with my Verizon E815 when it comes in. Took me 15 minutes to install in my SLK320. It sounds a lot better than my Mercedes phone system in my SL500.

I recommend the Aros bluetooth system over the Mercedes crap.

Look at the Argo system. That is all you need to get any bluetooth phone to work in your car.
This model is made with a $4 chip. It has limited phone book entries and does not support expanded functions like conference call.

Its OK for what it is ..... the first BT solution on the market ....... but it is way overpriced.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:55 PM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
Drove the New S-class yesterday. You'll be happy to know that it's BlueTooth enabled...so it's being intergrated into the line up.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500
question... a little off topic.

Do you guys know if the mercedes V60g will work in a 2003 sl500?
I currently have a mercedes V60 phone system in my car, but that phone is cdma and will only work with verizon. I use cingular service that needs GSM. Do you guys know if I can just buy the V60g phone, put in my sim card, and plug it into my existing cradle?

Will this be compatible with the command?
Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 PM

2004 SL 500
Do you guys know if the mercedes V60g will work in a 2003 sl500?
I currently have a mercedes V60 phone system in my car, but that phone is cdma and will only work with verizon. I use cingular service that needs GSM. Do you guys know if I can just buy the V60g phone, put in my sim card, and plug it into my existing cradle?

Will this be compatible with the command?
Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance!
You will need the MikBox to do that -> www.mikbox.com
Old 12-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500
But the V60g phone has the mercedes logo.

The Mercedes V60g phone has a slot for the sim card. It is GSM and works with cingular. So shouldn't this phone work on a 2003 SL500 without using mikbox?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:42 PM

2004 SL 500
The Mercedes V60g phone has a slot for the sim card. It is GSM and works with cingular. So shouldn't this phone work on a 2003 SL500 without using mikbox?
Oops, sorry, I misread your previous post. I thought you were trying to replace the phone.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Almost a Member!

SL500
actually-

It doesn't look like Mercedes makes a V60g. My bad. It looks like I will be going with Mikbox and getting a new phone .... the Motorola V635.

Beverly Hills Mercedes says the MB bluetooth will be out first quarter 2006.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Bluetooth