Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:21 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
Lowering question

On a non AMG 05 SL, how low should I go front and rear, when paying the dealer to adjust the ride height with the computer software, so that I wont get bad inner tire wear? My R129 SL was lowered and I went through tires every few months due to its height and butterfly effect.
I have 20's and want to go as low as I can without getting bad wear on the inside edge of the tire. I've heard 1.5 in the front and 2 inches in the back is common...?

Thanks

Last edited by CY; 03-15-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 PM

2008 M6 Vert
I'd be interested to find out how much the dealer charges for lowering the car.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
i'm not sure how many inches i ended up lowering mine (with 20s).

it's not slammed, but it's low enough. i haven't noticed a butterfly effect with it, it's an R230. i know you mentioned your last sl had that.

anyone with really low R230s notice a butterfly effect? is it possible with ABC?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my car lowered where the wheels were tucked under the fenders. There was no abnormal wear. It seems like the ABC/airmatic suspension prevents a lot of negative camber with the wheels when the car is lowered.

I never noticed any abnormal tire wear on my S class as well.

You should be okay unless your car is extremely low.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:12 PM

2005 SL500, 2002 ML500
I am currently also going through the "pain" of having my car lowered using SDS on my 2005 SL 500. After reading anything I could find about SDS in the MB forums I went to my local MB service station to have them lower my car by about 3/4 inch.

Having to upgrade their SDS software first they spent several hours trying but were not able to lower the car more then 1/4 without the ABC light coming on. I told them that I am sure we could lower the car more but again to no avail.

We are currently in the process of changing the 4 rods to lower the car mechanically.

I just was wondering if anybody knows how the dealer was able to lower the car with SDS beyond 1/2 (or more) inch. Anybody knows the details what needs to be done in the SDS?

I actually checked with both my local dealers but neither was able to lower the SLs further.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 PM

I hear a lot of mixed stories about using the StarDiag to lower the car. If the dealership can't do it, then I would wait for Steve (MBenzNL) to do it for you.

I personally have used the bracket/washer method and never had a problem.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:26 PM

2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
i am also using the washer bracket method and have not had an issue.

used it on my S for 3 years and never ran into a problem.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:45 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
So the bracket washer method is used in cobination with the SDS?...JL88 do you know how many inches it was lowered front and back?....your SL was SICK!

Is ther anything I should tell them before hand...and is there a specific ratio front and back one should go... like 1 inch in front and 2 in back...or do they eye it out?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:42 AM

No, my car was lowered using only the bracket method. TWS sells a custom bracket which allows the car to be dropped to the ground.

I don't know how low it was dropped. I just remember the tires were tucked under the fenders.

I don't think any method is superior/safer than another (module vs StarDiag vs bracket/washer). I just know that depending on which vendor you talk to, they will promote a certain product while slamming another product. I think honestly that the airmatic/ABC system is not meant for long term use and the system has a chance of failing, whether its stock or whether you modify it.

I've also heard stories of dealers that lower the car using the StarDiag. If the customer wants it to be even lower, they tell the client they have to hook it up to another machine, when in fact, the just use washers to lower the car even more. I don't have first hand experience with StarDiag, but I've heard there are limitations.

I forgot to add. When lowering using the washer/bracket, you basically have to eyeball it. For example, if you lower the left front side, it will also raise the right front side. It just takes some practice. You have to know how low you want the car to be and the tech should be able to accomodate.

YMMV

Last edited by jl88; 03-17-2006 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:50 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
You answered all my questions, thanks....

I will talk to the dealer and let you guys know what becomes of it,

cy
Old 03-19-2006, 06:49 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I got this response to my question to MBenzNL.....This is my question:

When lowering the car using the software, are any additional parts needed?
I have 20's on a 2005 SL500 Sport and want to go as low as possible without
getting tire ware on the inner edges (butterfly effect) how low do you
recommend...1inch in front, 2 in back...or do you just eye it out? I really
want therear to have no gap at all...or be tucked like some of the other member'scars on MBWORLD.

Thanks
Cy in Los Angeles

The response:

Hi Cy,

lowering mercedes benzes with stardiagnose is only possible on cars that
come equiped with airmatic - not on cars that come equiped with ABC (like
yours).

Lowering itself always results in negative camber and uneven tireware unless
you use camber correction kits (which are not available for all cars).

Am I out of luck? Many members have said they had no problem
Old 03-19-2006, 09:57 PM

Don't know what to say man. You're in LA, the car Mecca of the world. There are plenty of shops that can lower an airmatic/abc car in this city. I really don't think you'll encounter abnormal tire wear, though, it is unavoidable. If you're afraid of wearing out your tires in under 5k miles, I don't think that will happen. Your tires, depending on brand, will last anywhere between 10 to 20k, depending on brand, how you drive, etc.

If the StarDiag method isn't available, you can always go with the bracket/washer or use a lowering module.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:17 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Thanks JL88..I dont mind SOME extra wear...its just that the toyos on my escalade have been wearing on the outside edge due to my area (hills in PV) and the soft sidewall and then all the trouble w/ the R129...I'd like to get a little wear out of these.

Let us know about your new project....
Old 03-21-2006, 02:11 AM

Why not get a lowering module?
Old 03-21-2006, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Does this mean an MB dealer wouldn't be able to lower the car using computers?....and how much would a dealer generally charge to lower an SL so that the front wheel is just barely tucked under the the fender and the back is just inline with the fender.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:00 PM

2005 SL600 Designo, Graphite Gray, Panorama Roof
Originally Posted by blazinginder
Does this mean an MB dealer wouldn't be able to lower the car using computers?....and how much would a dealer generally charge to lower an SL so that the front wheel is just barely tucked under the the fender and the back is just inline with the fender.
Guys...
You can't do this on the 05 newer cars with the MB computer. CANNOT BE DONE!!!

You have a few choices:
TWS lowering brackets (I've tried emailing, calling, nothing and their website sucks).
Lowering module from Kleeman/Brabus/Renntech/Lorinser (be careful...some SL owners are having big issues with some of these...randomly allowing the car to go up, down, etc.)
Lowering rods, like these: http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ID=148058&VS=1 which basically "trick" you car into thinking it's higher, thus telling the computer to make the car lower.

Works fine so LONG AS you do not allow the car to rest on the bump stop (air cylinder all the way down). If you do, car rides like **** and struts WILL FAIL AND NOT BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

By the way: if you don't lower the car the wrong way, there might not be a need for an alignment. The system is designed to go up and down already, remember? If the vehicle is lowered aggressively, an alignment will most likely be needed and there's no guarantee that there's enough range of motion to bring the car back within spec. End result: more rapid tire wear.

Last edited by craiglieberman; 03-21-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by craiglieberman
Guys...
You can't do this on the 05 newer cars with the MB computer. CANNOT BE DONE!!!

You have a few choices:
TWS lowering brackets (I've tried emailing, calling, nothing and their website sucks).
Lowering module from Kleeman/Brabus/Renntech/Lorinser (be careful...some SL owners are having big issues with some of these...randomly allowing the car to go up, down, etc.)
Lowering rods, like these: http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ID=148058&VS=1 which basically "trick" you car into thinking it's higher, thus telling the computer to make the car lower.

Works fine so LONG AS you do not allow the car to rest on the bump stop (air cylinder all the way down). If you do, car rides like **** and struts WILL FAIL AND NOT BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

By the way: if you don't lower the car the wrong way, there might not be a need for an alignment. The system is designed to go up and down already, remember? If the vehicle is lowered aggressively, an alignment will most likely be needed and there's no guarantee that there's enough range of motion to bring the car back within spec. End result: more rapid tire wear.

Thanks for the explanation and suggestions