SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: There are more SL55s than SL600s so...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
360 Spider
There are more SL55s than SL600s so...

...why do the SL55s hold their value better? I have heard the argument that the V12 is more costly in the long run to maintain but that shouldn't apply to 04s/05s that are still under warranty. Personally, I think it is all the hype associated with the ///AMG badge. Everybody from teenage kids to soccer moms have to have that AMG badge. I am not hating on AMG, I had a CLK55 before my SL600...AMG makes great cars. It just makes no sense to me that a car that is more exclusive can be had for literally thousands less than an almost identical car that is produced more often. What say you?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by BiTurboBenz
...why do the SL55s hold their value better? I have heard the argument that the V12 is more costly in the long run to maintain but that shouldn't apply to 04s/05s that are still under warranty. Personally, I think it is all the hype associated with the ///AMG badge. Everybody from teenage kids to soccer moms have to have that AMG badge. I am not hating on AMG, I had a CLK55 before my SL600...AMG makes great cars. It just makes no sense to me that a car that is more exclusive can be had for literally thousands less than an almost identical car that is produced more often. What say you?
imho.. people that buy v12s.. can usually buy any car they want that is out there on the market.. they usually buy them new... i haven't found many "new" v12 owners.. that aren't rather well off financially..

so when someone is looking for the v12 model.. there isn't as much of a "used" buyer base.. as the v12 buyer base.. just buys new.. without any thought about cost..

this goes for really any v12.. bmw has the same situation with their 7 series among others.. that and the costs associated with maintenance on v12 models out of warranty can be much more expensive.. at times..
Old 09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Money

You have to spend it on something!!!!!!!!!!!

Buying cars like this and worrying about depreciation and value, is like looking at it as an investment and it is far from that. It's a toy. My opinion.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
I think it is pure marketing. The SL600 really never got a lot of press. Most people other then car enthusiasts understand the difference between the SL55 and SL600. AMG cars have a great name so the competition and demand for these cars keeps the value up. IMHO the SL600 is the Macintosh of the SL line. It is superior yet not recognized as such. I love my SL600 and would take it over and SL55 any day of the week. The people who have the choice to buy either car and go with the SL55 obviously have never driven an SL600.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

2001,CL 500
i was under the impression that 55's were for sportier more aggressive driving and the 600's were for smoother more relaxed driving....is this true? i have never driven either...only had 500's in my time...
Old 09-17-2006, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by france2112
I think it is pure marketing. The SL600 really never got a lot of press. Most people other then car enthusiasts understand the difference between the SL55 and SL600. AMG cars have a great name so the competition and demand for these cars keeps the value up. IMHO the SL600 is the Macintosh of the SL line. It is superior yet not recognized as such. I love my SL600 and would take it over and SL55 any day of the week. The people who have the choice to buy either car and go with the SL55 obviously have never driven an SL600.
Are you old enough to remember the Pepsi challenge? Some people preferred Coke. More people preferred Pepsi. And a whole lot of people couldn't tell the difference between the two.

This SL600-is-better-than-the-SL55 thing reminds me of the old Pepsi challenge.

I'm glad you love your SL600, but if I didn't already own an SL55 and someone gave me an SL600, I'd sell it to buy an SL55.

Why? Because the SL55 handles better than the SL600 (or even the SL65, for that matter).

I know, I know. This is the point where the SL600 aficionados claim that the handling differences are minute while the acceleration differences are vast.

All I can say is, I can tell the difference in handling and it's a big enough difference to affect my decision. But if it's not enough to affect your decision, hey! No problem! Mercedes has an SL600 for you and an SL55 for me. It's a beautiful world.

And back to the original question, I agree that it's the perceived value of the AMG brand drives both the greater initial sales volume and the greater resale value for the SL55s.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 AM

360 Spider
I did not start this thread so we can have another SL600 vs. SL55 debate. It doesn't make sense to me that something less common is worth less money than something more common. Logic seems to dictate that the reverse would be true, but it isn't. The only answer seems to be that the SL600 buyer likes to buy new?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by jmf003
Are you old enough to remember the Pepsi challenge? Some people preferred Coke. More people preferred Pepsi. And a whole lot of people couldn't tell the difference between the two.

This SL600-is-better-than-the-SL55 thing reminds me of the old Pepsi challenge.

I'm glad you love your SL600, but if I didn't already own an SL55 and someone gave me an SL600, I'd sell it to buy an SL55.

Why? Because the SL55 handles better than the SL600 (or even the SL65, for that matter).

I know, I know. This is the point where the SL600 aficionados claim that the handling differences are minute while the acceleration differences are vast.

All I can say is, I can tell the difference in handling and it's a big enough difference to affect my decision. But if it's not enough to affect your decision, hey! No problem! Mercedes has an SL600 for you and an SL55 for me. It's a beautiful world.

And back to the original question, I agree that it's the perceived value of the AMG brand drives both the greater initial sales volume and the greater resale value for the SL55s.
Didn't mean to offend! You are right. You like the SL55 better and I like the SL600 better. Both cars are amazing and that is a fact.

I hear what Seatlecarfreak is saying and there may be some logic to it but I don't believe that is why the 55's hold value better.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by blahzayblah
i was under the impression that 55's were for sportier more aggressive driving and the 600's were for smoother more relaxed driving....is this true? i have never driven either...only had 500's in my time...
You are right on the money with your impression. However the 600 in sport mode does handle well during aggressive driving around town. Not as good as the SL55 but IMO close enough. some may disagree. I think the 55's exhaust looks and sounds a lot better then the 600.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 AM

Whatever I feel like
I did not start this thread so we can have another SL600 vs. SL55 debate. It doesn't make sense to me that something less common is worth less money than something more common. Logic seems to dictate that the reverse would be true, but it isn't. The only answer seems to be that the SL600 buyer likes to buy new?
Being more common or less common is only 1 factor in economics: supply. Then you have the 2nd component which is equally important: demand.

There is obviously a much bigger demand for the SL55 AMG car vs the SL600, enough to offset the extra supply. I agree with the SL600 buyer stereotype as well. In addition to that my opinion is that most of it is a result of AMG marketing. There are also some other contributing factors such as MB underrating the SL600s power as well as the SL55 AMG looking sportier than most SL600s (most dont have the sport package). The AMG exhaust is also a lot sportier and sounds better to most people.

I drove both before making my decision, and the SL55 AMG is definintely a lighter, more balanced, better handling car. The SL600 has the ability to have well over 600 HP with a simple Renntech mod. This results in night and day acceleration when comparing the 2 cars. Thus the reason for my choice.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
During the R129 years, the SL600 was top dog. When the R230 came out the AMG fascination was at a highpoint. The SL55 came out first, while the SL600 came later- almost forgotten and much more rare. The SL55 is probably the most efficient choice since it is still a V8, but IMO the SL600 is still the superior nameplate (all performance aside) due to my own personal appreciation for V12 benzes. Most non-enthusiasts will notice and admire the AMG badge more though. However, the AMG badges are available on almost any benz, while the V12's are reserved for the 3 flagship vehicles. Both are great cars for sure, and without mods the SL55 is probably the best all around buy; with mods the 600's become lethal.

Last edited by CY; 09-18-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 AM

Whatever I feel like
Originally Posted by cy0811
During the R129 years, the SL600 was top dog. When the R230 came out the AMG fascination was at a highpoint. The SL55 came out first, while the SL600 came later- almost forgotten and much more rare. The SL55 is probably the most efficient choice since it is still a V8, but IMO the SL600 is still the superior nameplate (all performance aside) due to my own personal appreciation for V12 benzes. Most non-enthusiasts will notice the AMG badge more though.
Agreed, the V12 is so smooth and the power is just endless!!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally to me owning a SL of all models, 500, 55, 600, 65, etc.... Its an honor to have all cars which are very luxury sport cars. Most people cant afford them and the ones that dont have them, want it and the ones that have them love'em. I was debating on pricing and trying to find one at a reasonable price and was worried about the depreciation at first but everyone on here had a point....dont look at cars as of a investment point of view because its a loss however you look at it but want and get the car you have fun driving and enjoy being in it.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by france2112
Didn't mean to offend! You are right. You like the SL55 better and I like the SL600 better. Both cars are amazing and that is a fact.

I hear what Seatlecarfreak is saying and there may be some logic to it but I don't believe that is why the 55's hold value better.
No offense taken! Your SL600 is a sweet car when just plain stock and is a low flying airplane with the Renntech mods.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:53 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
It doesn't make sense to me that something less common is worth less money than something more common. Logic seems to dictate that the reverse would be true, but it isn't.
The logic you are attempting to apply is flawed. You've only got one side of the supply/demand equation factored in. More rare is not always more valuable unless there is an equal demand.

Yes, the supply of SL55's is bigger; so, if 55's are going for more money, than SL600's, it must be that in comparision, the demand is even larger than the supply.

So, the question is: why more demand for SL55's than for SL600's? The "why" is a matter of perception, not fact, in my opinion.

I offer the following, and others can add more:

1. AMG reputation is sexy and fun and fast and famous -- I think this is most of the difference in price.
2. 600 reputation for being nose-heavy
3. 600 reputation, starting with R129's, as having more maintainance problems
4. V-12 "tune up" perceived as more expensive than V-8
5. 55 reputation as a sportier car than 600 -- people who buy 2 seaters probably value sport over luxury. I am not sure, but doesn't the SL55 have different shift points programed into the computer ("AMG speed shift")and offer shift paddles on the steering wheel?
6. AMG body work on SL55 and AMG dash board style might appeal to more people.

Anyways . . . my guesses as a person who currently owns a 2001 R129 and is thinking about upgrading in a year or two. I think I will go for SL55.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Maybe it's the 200 MPH speedo.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by mebeJOE
The logic you are attempting to apply is flawed. You've only got one side of the supply/demand equation factored in. More rare is not always more valuable unless there is an equal demand.

Yes, the supply of SL55's is bigger; so, if 55's are going for more money, than SL600's, it must be that in comparision, the demand is even larger than the supply.

So, the question is: why more demand for SL55's than for SL600's? The "why" is a matter of perception, not fact, in my opinion.

I offer the following, and others can add more:

1. AMG reputation is sexy and fun and fast and famous -- I think this is most of the difference in price.
2. 600 reputation for being nose-heavy
3. 600 reputation, starting with R129's, as having more maintainance problems
4. V-12 "tune up" perceived as more expensive than V-8
5. 55 reputation as a sportier car than 600 -- people who buy 2 seaters probably value sport over luxury. I am not sure, but doesn't the SL55 have different shift points programed into the computer ("AMG speed shift")and offer shift paddles on the steering wheel?
6. AMG body work on SL55 and AMG dash board style might appeal to more people.

Anyways . . . my guesses as a person who currently owns a 2001 R129 and is thinking about upgrading in a year or two. I think I will go for SL55.
Hi,
You bring some valid opinions. Let me give you something to also think about. The 03 and up 600 engines are no less reliable then the 55's. If you get the AMG sport package then you get the AMG sportier look and IMO better paddle shifters then the 55's. With either the Renntech, Kleeman, or Brabus ECU upgrade you get the speed shift and 125 HP gain without having to mess with you car at all. The 600 is definitely more nose heavy but I have driven 55's hard and my 600 doesn't feel much worse on hard cornering. The acceleration is absolutelly intoxicating!!! Both cars are awsome but I recommend driving a 600 with sport package before making your purchase. You may be surprised.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 sl55amg, 04 H2, 02 corvette Z06, 01 bmw 530i(Sold), E60 M5 (507hp)
It all goes back to "race on sunday, sell on monday". Aside from that, either car is still one hell of a ride.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:31 AM

well, if anyone wants to trade their SL600 w/ performance pkg for my SL55 - let me know