SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Is there a Repair Manual for the SL500's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a Repair Manual for the SL500's?

Im looking for a repair manual like Bentley Publishers or Chilton or something like that? Bentley doesnt seem to have one for these cars. Can anyone tell me if there is even such a book for these cars and where I can buy one?

Would Mercedes even have something like that as well?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 02:51 AM

Does anyone know of any kind of book that tells you how to work on interior trimming, motor work, etc.... Im just looking for something like chilton or bentley. I went on both websites and neither of them have it for our cars? I know most people take there cars to dealers or shops to do the work but minor stuff I would perfer to do.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 R230
I have seen (and purchased) a service cd from ebay. It is the cd supplied by the factory to dealerships and covers all models from the 1990's on. I haven't seen it recently offered however. Mercedes has a website you can access for a fee that has all service info also. Something like startech.com.
There are no repair manuals offered for this car at this time to my knowledge.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by WOOCHOW
I have seen (and purchased) a service cd from ebay. It is the cd supplied by the factory to dealerships and covers all models from the 1990's on. I haven't seen it recently offered however. Mercedes has a website you can access for a fee that has all service info also. Something like startech.com.
There are no repair manuals offered for this car at this time to my knowledge.
That CD you have purchased...have you played with it yet? How is it? Is it pretty detailed or is it pretty vague? Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 R230
it is quite detailed although it is written for use by a certified mechanic and doesn't walk you through simple repairs like a Chilton or Bentley. it also makes reference to many MB special tools to be used with each procedure whereas the average guy could probably substitute a more common tool. For my needs, a more simple service manual would be better as I am more likely looking for info on how to replace the cabin air filter than rebuilding the automatic transmission. But the information is quite interesting and nothing is left out-(except the simple stuff). also available is a full parts catalog
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by WOOCHOW
it is quite detailed although it is written for use by a certified mechanic and doesn't walk you through simple repairs like a Chilton or Bentley. it also makes reference to many MB special tools to be used with each procedure whereas the average guy could probably substitute a more common tool. For my needs, a more simple service manual would be better as I am more likely looking for info on how to replace the cabin air filter than rebuilding the automatic transmission. But the information is quite interesting and nothing is left out-(except the simple stuff). also available is a full parts catalog
I called MB and they dont have anything yet for the car. Where did you pick that up? I may be interested in picking one up. Im also wanting a book or something to do simple stuff like interior as well as maybe doing minor engine work too. The center console on one of the cars is driving me insane because the spring is broken and is not opening and closing like it should so thats why Im trying to track something down to help me with the process on how to do it.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 389 Likes on 308 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Johnny, I know of 3 options. First is to get the Mercedes WIS software. I have not used this, but it is supposed to have all the information you need. Mercedes does not sell the software, and you will have to get a bootleg copy. If you look around the forums you will probably find someone to sell you a copy. It should cost about $50.

Another option is to subscribe to alldata.com. Cost is about $25 for one year. I have not tried this either, but it is highly regarded by those who have used it for models other than the R230.

The other option is to go to Mercedes' www.startekinfo.com. This is very good, but it is expensive. $18 for 24-hours of access.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by bobterry99
Johnny, I know of 3 options. First is to get the Mercedes WIS software. I have not used this, but it is supposed to have all the information you need. Mercedes does not sell the software, and you will have to get a bootleg copy. If you look around the forums you will probably find someone to sell you a copy. It should cost about $50.

Another option is to subscribe to alldata.com. Cost is about $25 for one year. I have not tried this either, but it is highly regarded by those who have used it for models other than the R230.

The other option is to go to Mercedes' www.startekinfo.com. This is very good, but it is expensive. $18 for 24-hours of access.
Yeah when I spoke with Benz they told me to use startekinfo.com as well. She never told me the pricing. Damn $18 for just 24-hour access is alot. But if it works and has the info I need I guess its not bad.

I tried searching the forums for bootleg copies but no one seems to have it for this car.

I have also looked at alldata.com which I was told is good but if I remember right it isnt as good as it is made out to be. It doesnt tell you in full detail as it should from what I have been told. Correct me if Im wrong.

Im pushing either alldata or say screw it and go with startekinfo
Thanks again.