SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL500 dark blue leather interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 dark blue leather interior

I bought a used (14K miles) 04 diamond silver with dark blue leather with black maple wood. Before I bought it I probably looked at 20 or so others and none of them had this combination. Everyone had the lighter wood with dark grey or beige leather.

I was wondering if this was a special order or an upgrade, I like it because it is different and the dark wood and leather kind of blends in together.Does anyone think this adds or substracts from the cars value when I sell it?

I've read many opinions about the diamond silver. I looked for a car with the best overall condition, milage and options instead of focusing on a particular color, I would have been fine with black, silver or ageian blue. True, sometimes it is bluish and I wasn't too keen on it in the beginning but its growing on me. It also turns a very bright silver which looks very cool and clean compared to the other silvers.

this is a great site and Ive learned much from reading the posts, thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mercedave
I bought a used (14K miles) 04 diamond silver with dark blue leather with black maple wood. Before I bought it I probably looked at 20 or so others and none of them had this combination. Everyone had the lighter wood with dark grey or beige leather.

I was wondering if this was a special order or an upgrade, I like it because it is different and the dark wood and leather kind of blends in together.Does anyone think this adds or substracts from the cars value when I sell it?

I've read many opinions about the diamond silver. I looked for a car with the best overall condition, milage and options instead of focusing on a particular color, I would have been fine with black, silver or ageian blue. True, sometimes it is bluish and I wasn't too keen on it in the beginning but its growing on me. It also turns a very bright silver which looks very cool and clean compared to the other silvers.

this is a great site and Ive learned much from reading the posts, thanks

Ive never heard of this combination?? Can you post pictures Im very curious.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Would Like

Originally Posted by johnny5
Ive never heard of this combination?? Can you post pictures Im very curious.
I would like to see pictures of this one too.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 PM

1997 E320 (silver/black)
Special Order

Just looked in a "04 SL brochure that I have and see that "teal blue" interior was a special order with diamond silver paint for that car. Black ash wood was only choice offered. Standard leather colors available were charcoal, stone and ash. Your combination sounds attractive as the diamond silver looks a little blue in the right light.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:20 PM

thanks okc329. So are you saying that the black maple was the only choice with the teal blue interior, that they came together as a package? Do you know if this combination cost more?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:02 PM

1997 E320 (silver/black)
Don't know about extra cost, but......

the black wood is the only one shown as beeing available with the blue leather. It's not shown as an option so I would think no extra cost.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by okc329
the black wood is the only one shown as beeing available with the blue leather. It's not shown as an option so I would think no extra cost.

Anyway you can scan the brochure so we can all see???
Old 11-03-2006, 01:17 AM

06 SL500
Originally Posted by okc329
Isn't black wood also available with the berry red/charcoal interior?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:03 PM

1997 E320 (silver/black)
Clarifictions

First, there are not pictures of the teal blue interior in a car in the 2004 SL brochure and the little color swatch of teal blue is not true in the brochure - it is very gray looking.

The dark wood is referred to as "black ash" not the black maple used in some other applications and the reader is correct, it was the only color indicated for cars with the charcoal/berry red combination of leather in 2004.

The 2005 SL brochure does not show the teal blue leather as being available but the charcoal/berry red is in that brochure and the black ash wood is available only for it.
This info also holds for the 2006 model.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Previous SLs: 1965 230SL, 1969 280SL
Teal Blue was an option (for a premium) for 2004 and I wanted to order it. However, in the USA, it was only offered with Black Ash wooden trim whereas I wanted it with Maple as offered outside the USA. I had seen the Teal Blue/Maple combo in a showroom in Hong Kong and that sold me. I tried to get the Teal Blue/Maple in the USA but could not manage it. Apparently MBUSA decides that it knows what is best for its customers :-( I was very unhappy with MBUSA and, to have the maple wood, had to stick with the boring Charcoal Grey that many of us have.

You are lucky to have found a Teal Blue model and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Third SL
Teal Blue was an option (for a premium) for 2004 and I wanted to order it. However, in the USA, it was only offered with Black Ash wooden trim whereas I wanted it with Maple as offered outside the USA. I had seen the Teal Blue/Maple combo in a showroom in Hong Kong and that sold me. I tried to get the Teal Blue/Maple in the USA but could not manage it. Apparently MBUSA decides that it knows what is best for its customers :-( I was very unhappy with MBUSA and, to have the maple wood, had to stick with the boring Charcoal Grey that many of us have.

You are lucky to have found a Teal Blue model and I hope you enjoy it.
For years the USA has had the least selection of color choices. In just about any other part of the world you can order these cars in just about any color combination of exterior, interior and wood you can imagine.

Why MBUSA so greatly limits your choices as compared to the rest of the world is something that has always puzzeled me not to mention not being too happy about it.