SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Removing front mounted license plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing front mounted license plate

Greetings,
Our dealership has found a 07 SL550 to our likings but it is located at another dealership so they were going to peform a trade for it. The only problem is that the other dealership foolishly mounted a front plate already. Our dealership says now they can "fix" that although if they repaint any part of the bumper I have doubts to if it will ever be the same. It's kind of rediculous that a dealership would mount one before the customer has any say in it. This is a $110k+ car... Have any other members here received a car with a front plate that they removed and how happy are you about the result?

Thank you
Old 11-11-2006, 05:45 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
This is a topic that has been around for some time. Some will say that they "must" mount the front plate because it's the law in their state. The drill holes can be fixed and painted by a good body shop and the job will be fine. Just don't accept a quick fix by the dealer. No doubt the dealer will pick up the tab rather than letting it be a deal breaker. Good luck, I hate those front plates too!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
bugg...dont worry AT ALL....I've seen many people on the forum and on the road that have taken off the frame and covered the holes with body paint colored plugs and it looks just FINE IMO, dont sweat it
...BUT as you can tell I still have my front plate on...dont really know how to get around not having the plate up front (illegal not to have front plate in NJ)...i could just have it sit on the front dash against the windshield but that looks weird and can be dangerous with the top down if it got air underneath it ..
Old 11-11-2006, 11:12 PM

It's illegal here in Texas as well ... but I don't ever get hassled for it, most I've ever gotten was a warning.
Cops won't usually hassle you regarding no front plate on cars like this and corvettes, etc ...

ricers, "lower end" cars, etc ... sure, you'll probably be bugged about it.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:55 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I put very very small body colored screws to cover the holes...I hate how they drill into our bumpers...$100k+ cars should have the customer decide...here in CA we have to sign a waiver to not have them drilled but most are drilled already.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
The dealer around here would never drill holes in the front bumper. They get it.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:11 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
On several of my cars I did not have the dealer drill the holes (E500). I put the plate on the plate frame and put it in the trunk. If stopped I said "sorry officer, it came off in the carwash". This gambit worked twice. My SL was drilled before I could do anything about it. I'll get the painted plugs and deposit the plate in the trunk. Here we go again!
Old 11-12-2006, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Calif requires a front plate, but a lot of people don't have one.

The only place where the cops will actually pull you over and ticket you, or find your car in parking and ticket you while you're away is LAX. I avoid taking any cars to LAX w/o a front plate. The cops there have nothing to do and so they do this crap all day.

Heavy tint, no front plates = avoid LAX. The cops actually go throug the parking structure and leave tickets under your wipers.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Vik888
Calif requires a front plate, but a lot of people don't have one.

The only place where the cops will actually pull you over and ticket you, or find your car in parking and ticket you while you're away is LAX. I avoid taking any cars to LAX w/o a front plate. The cops there have nothing to do and so they do this crap all day.

Heavy tint, no front plates = avoid LAX. The cops actually go throug the parking structure and leave tickets under your wipers.
I never had a front plate on any of my cars until my wife was pulled over by a Sacramento City policeman in her E55. I attached the plate to the lower grill(the black mesh) with cable ties and took it to the local station and they were fine with it. Now the car is again plateless but the plate is in the trunk of her car with a supply of cable ties.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
well, even though it's not a felony her in California, I will say that I have been pulled over a few times late at night leaving a restaurant or bar due to the missing front plate.

the officers were using this as reasonable cause to pull me over and check for a possible DUI. i did not receive a fix it ticket for the plate and did not end up with a DUI, but it is something to think about if you're leaving a hot spot after a drink or two.

just thought i would throw that it.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
They really don't NEED a reason to pull you over if they want to check for DUI.

I understand what you're saying, and its good that you didn't get a fix it ticket.

I'd do the same as the previous poster about tying it to the front to pass the fix it ticket at the station, then remove it later on.

Not a big deal .. I doubt I'd ever take a SL to LAX anyway. Most of my family max out their luggage where I'd probably need a ML or GL

Originally Posted by mikeblah
well, even though it's not a felony her in California, I will say that I have been pulled over a few times late at night leaving a restaurant or bar due to the missing front plate.

the officers were using this as reasonable cause to pull me over and check for a possible DUI. i did not receive a fix it ticket for the plate and did not end up with a DUI, but it is something to think about if you're leaving a hot spot after a drink or two.

just thought i would throw that it.