SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: V1 Hardwire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL55 Renntech Stage 3
V1 Hardwire

Anyone know how to open the overhead light? I would like to hardwire my V1 there if possible.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:32 PM

Got the light open. Not sure about using the Homelink wires as a power source. Any suggestions for a pwer source i the cabin?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 PM

2003 CL600
Not sure if it will work for you, but someone in the CL forum said to use the cig lighter power wire for the V1 hardwired install.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check my Sig
Originally Posted by mikracer
Not sure if it will work for you, but someone in the CL forum said to use the cig lighter power wire for the V1 hardwired install.
I want to do that, but can't find instructions on how to remove the cig lighter.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:19 PM

That is exactly my problem. I cannot figure out how to get to the cig lighter wire. Surely someone has tackled this problem before. Anybody know how to get to the cig lighter wire?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:53 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
hey guys. i have the v1 hardwired in my sl, but i had someone do it 4 me. he used the direct power module as well as the concealed display. he ran the wires in the headliner above the windsheild down the drivers side pillar into the compartment behind the steering wheel. u can access this compartment if you open the drivers door and use a flat edged screw driver to open the compartment. im not sure which wire he used but im sure you can tested which wire powers up when you start the car. i also used this same source for my blinder laser jammmers.

i hope this helps some
Old 01-30-2007, 12:10 PM

Thanks for your reply. I checked out the panel you talked about and access there is easy, Just not sure which wire is safe and don't want to start unplugging a bunch of stuff. I decided to just follow your example and get a stereo place to run the wire. The Mercedes salesman recommended a place they use and it's only $65.

It seems either no one has ever done this themselves or no one is willing to tell us how they did it.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im thinking of getting a V1 but how many people here actually have it in there cars? Is it as good as they claim it to be? Also where do most people mount it? Im not to fond of having it hang on the windshield as I did with another car of mine but a different brand.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 AM
Almost a Member!

04 SL 500
the V1 is worth every penny. once it saves you once it's paid itself off. i have mine on the windshield but i'm eventually going to move it up behind the rear view mirror when i stop being lazy and have it hardwired
Old 02-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check my Sig
I agree, it's saved me a few times. But, you still need to be aware of your surroundings...V1 doesn't catch everything...no Radar Detector can, they only help.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:15 PM

I have had mine for about 5 years and it is the best I have owned. But everything changes so there could be something better. It does what I need and I have been happy. I will get it mounted on the windshield right above the mirror right at the section where the dots for rain sensor are located. It seems to fit nicely there. I plan to watch how they wire it up if they will let me and will report back what they did since no one has posted where to wire one up.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:51 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
i've had mine since 99 and i thinks its great. saved me several times. what i like about it is you can send it in for an upgrade anytime theres a new feature for a small fee, cheaper than a new detector. i have mine hardwired on the windsheild right under the tint band so it cant be seen when parked by the passerby and its always on so i don't get picked off( a hard lesson i learned once). don't leave home with out it!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
CLK55, CL500, Q45
I have had V1's for years. I have one in every car I own,
and they are all updated every year or so. Its not totally
fool-proof but adds an extra layer of insurance.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 PM

I have a V1 also, but I was wondering if anyone had a nice way of hardwiring it. I don't want a bunch of wires everywhere, but I did see someone do a real nice job on in the CLS forum. Anyone have a step by step way to do it?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:07 PM

Picture of V1 in Place

Pic 1
Attached Thumbnails V1 Hardwire-dsc01770.jpg  
Old 02-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Picture of V1 in Place

I could not get the interior pic to load. Too large. Anybody have a suggestion on how to resize and I will load it.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:11 PM

Observations

OK, I observed the hardwiring of my V1 and here is what they did for those who wish to try it on their own. I attached a picture of where the V1 is mounted so that you can see the end result. These were my observations only and no warranty is implied that this will work for you. Proceed at your own risk.

1. Tools needed were a Torx wrench, wide tip flat head screw driver or plastic interior panel tool, carpet hook or wire hook and a razor blade..
2. Supplies needed were either the V1 hardwire kit or phone wire split to a separate fused power and ground wire and wire splice taps to tap the wires.
3. Remove the passenger side sun visor with the two Torx screws and remove the driver side sun visor screw closest to the overhead light.
4. Remove the overhead light by inserting the flat screw driver or interior panel tool under the rear most edge and pry up down. You will see two clips that need to be pressed in once it comes down about a quarter of an inch. Press in both clips and the light will come down and out toward the rear of the car and just hang from the wires.
5. Grab the interior panel at the top of the A-pillar on the passenger side and pull down at the top outside corner. It is held in by clips which will release. You only need to pull it down enough to pass the wire though underneath it to the windshield area inside of the car.
6. Run the telephone wire through the gap created by pulling down the panel and through to the inside. Then run it over to the down light and into the down light opening. Push the wire under the panel loosened by removing the passenger sun visor. Then run the wire out the driver’s side of the panel where the V1 is to be located.
7. Reinstall the dome light by inserting the front of it in first and the push to toward the front and up to clip back in place.
8. Reinstall the Torx screw on the drivers side sun visor.
9. Run the wire down the A-pillar by inserting it under the rubber strip that overlaps the A-pillar panel. You do not need to take the panel off. When you get to the bottom of the panel you will need to pull the padded strip that runs between what would be the closed door and the interior. It just slips over a body seam and inserts into the bottom of the A-pillar panel. Pull it out from the middle and then down out of the A-pillar panel.
10. Remove the panel on the side of the glove box to get access to the back of it by using a flat tip screw driver in the slot. Take loose, but do not remove the panel underneath the glove box by taking out the two Torx screws.
11. Run the wire into the opening on the side of the glove box and out into the floor area of the passenger side of the car and then reinstall the padded strip inserting it back into the A-pillar panel and reinstall the panel on the side of the glove box. It slips in and toward the front of the car and then press in to pop the clips back in.
12. Reinstall the top of the A-pillar panel previously pulled down by pushing back up on it being careful to make sure the rubber strip is not underneath the panel. Flat tip screw driver helps here.
13. Reinstall the passenger sun visor with the two Torx screws.
14. Remove the console passenger side panel by pulling out on it from the rear. It is held in with clips up to about the position of the temp controls. Then slide it toward the rear of the car to get it out. This is the panel that run down the side of the console, not the top and stops at about the front of the seat back. You just use your fingers and slip them under the bottom rear edge and pull out. Behind it is a plastic panel. Toward the front of the panel underneath the command console is and opening that is a little larger than your finger on the edge down where it meets the carpet. You need to use a hook of some sort to pull a loop of the cig lighter wire out of this hole. That is the only wire I could see under there. I asked and was told it should be the only wire there. It is three wires sheathed together. It is a little smaller than a pencil in diameter.
15. Use the razor blade to split open the sheath that covers the wires that you just pulled out. There will be three wires inside of the sheath. Crimp the wire taps onto the brown one and the green one with the white stripe. The brown is ground and the green is hot. Run your telephone wire through the back of the plastic panel and out the same hole you pulled the cig lighter wire out of. Plug the fused wire into the green wire tap and the other to the brown wire tap.
16. Test the V1 for power when the key is on.
17. If power is good, then your taps are good. Push the wire backs into the hole you pulled it out of.
18. Reinstall the console side panel by inserting the front of it in first and sliding forward. Once you have the clips lined up, push on it to pop the clips back in place.
19. Reinstall the Torx screws holding the panel under the glove box and you’re done.

It cost me $65 to get this done and watch. Anyone wanting to donate to my cost can PM me. Just kidding. For $65 it was worth it to me to pay someone. For those that like to mess with this sort of thing, I hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Got Pics resized.

See below
Attached Thumbnails V1 Hardwire-dsc01769.jpg   V1 Hardwire-dsc01770.jpg  
Old 02-04-2007, 05:18 PM

Hard to see, but V1 actually sits on the rear view mirror as I have it installed. It could be moved up some, but would require velcrow to attach to windshield due to the dots. The way I have it only one suctions cup holds it and it rest on the mirror to support the weight.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:16 AM

Clean set-up, another quick question. Yesterday my V1 has the "L" when I turned it on, but now it has an "A". What is the difference?
Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 AM

Those are the modes. I forget how you set them. I think holiding the knob in. Go to valentineone.com and it explains the different settings and how to set them.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
CLK55, CL500, Q45
jm55,

looking at your pics it looks like the V1 is tilted down. How do
you get maximum benefit if the front is hitting the ground infront
of the hood, and the rear is hitting the roof? In my sl, I have the
V1 about 5 inches below the mirror, I know its right in the middle,
but gives a good range front and rear.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Must be an optical illusion because it is really pretty level. There is room to change the angle if I needed to.