SL/R230: Tracking car on ocean vessel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Tracking car on ocean vessel

There is a website that if you know the vessel name and Bill of Lading for your car that you can actually track your car on vessel being shipped from Germany to the US to determine the vessel's location.

Does anyone know that website?

Many thanks,

Matthew
Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
There is a website that if you know the vessel name and Bill of Lading for your car that you can actually track your car on vessel being shipped from Germany to the US to determine the vessel's location.

Does anyone know that website?

Many thanks,

Matthew
Here you go:

http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/cargoTrack.do

Under "Auto", you can enter your VIN# and get the ship. And then of course you can track the ship by port of call from that same site.

When I was tracking my car, I also signed up for a trail with one of the commercial ship tracking companies so my son and I could watch on the map the last day as the ship came made its way in Baltimore harbor.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:52 PM

'08 Audi R8, '09 SL63, '10 GLK, '10 ML550
Originally Posted by eddietr
Here you go:

http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/cargoTrack.do

Under "Auto", you can enter your VIN# and get the ship. And then of course you can track the ship by port of call from that same site.

When I was tracking my car, I also signed up for a trail with one of the commercial ship tracking companies so my son and I could watch on the map the last day as the ship came made its way in Baltimore harbor.
Isn't that web site only for tracking Wallenius Wilhelmsen ships? My SL came on a NYK Line ship to the port of Los Angeles and they don't have tracking on their web site. I had to use other means to track my NYK Line ship. I am tracking another NYK Line ship right now for a friend who is awaiting the delivery of their MB into the port of Los Angeles. If that web site tracks all ships, I wish I would of known about that resource when I tracked my car.

Generally, I think the Wallenius Wilhelmsen ships deliver to the east coast and NYK Line ships deliver to the west coast.

LovinSL600-what ship are you tracking?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by spnslc
Isn't that web site only for tracking Wallenius Wilhelmsen ships? My SL came on a NYK Line ship to the port of Los Angeles and they don't have tracking on their web site. I had to use other means to track my NYK Line ship. I am tracking another NYK Line ship right now for a friend who is awaiting the delivery of their MB into the port of Los Angeles. If that web site tracks all ships, I wish I would of known about that resource when I tracked my car.

Generally, I think the Wallenius Wilhelmsen ships deliver to the east coast and NYK Line ships deliver to the west coast.

Yes, you are right. That's only useful for tracking BMWs and Mercedes (and probably Volvo and Mini also) on WW to the east coast. I didn't realize the poster was in SF.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curious was there a reason you bought out of the state? Better deals or you just wanted a Euro Version? Just curious.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are correct. My car is coming in on a NYK ship called Sirius Leader. I tried the NYK site but I can't track on that site as you already know.

What are you using to track a NYK ship? Also, I have my VIN so can I tell if the car is on this ship for sure. Believe it or not I have conflicting reports from the dealer and New Jersey.

Any ideas?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
You are correct. My car is coming in on a NYK ship called Sirius Leader. I tried the NYK site but I can't track on that site as you already know.

What are you using to track a NYK ship? Also, I have my VIN so can I tell if the car is on this ship for sure. Believe it or not I have conflicting reports from the dealer and New Jersey.

Any ideas?
I saw the dealer's printout for my friend's ship last week and it showed the Sagittatius Leader on the printout. Your dealer should be able to look it up on the computer and give you the name with certainty. Same with New Jersey. If they are both coming up with different ship names, that is scary. I did Euro Delivery with my SL and I was also in contact with EH Harms. They are the ones who schedule MB's Euro Deliveries. I was in contact with all three of them while my SL was in shipment. I found New Jersey customer service to be particularly helpful with updates, but maybe it was just the particular agent that I had (I think it was a supervisor).

I am using a few different tracking resources right now for the Sagittarius Leader. I watched the Sagittarius Leader go through the Panama Canal yesterday on the web cameras. I did the same with my ship, the Aegean Leader, last year when I was tracking my own car. I knew, down to the hour, when my car was coming into port and arriving at the dealer. Do you know when the Sirius Leader was to leave Bremerhaven or arrive in port? Is it going to SF? I will look around for it this morning. Sue
Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I saw the dealer's printout for my friend's ship last week and it showed the Sagittatius Leader on the printout. Your dealer should be able to look it up on the computer and give you the name with certainty. Same with New Jersey. If they are both coming up with different ship names, that is scary. I did Euro Delivery with my SL and I was also in contact with EH Harms. They are the ones who schedule MB's Euro Deliveries. I was in contact with all three of them while my SL was in shipment. I found New Jersey customer service to be particularly helpful with updates, but maybe it was just the particular agent that I had (I think it was a supervisor).

I am using a few different tracking resources right now for the Sagittarius Leader. I watched the Sagittarius Leader go through the Panama Canal yesterday on the web cameras. I did the same with my ship, the Aegean Leader, last year when I was tracking my own car. I knew, down to the hour, when my car was coming into port and arriving at the dealer. Do you know when the Sirius Leader was to leave Bremerhaven or arrive in port? Is it going to SF? I will look around for it this morning. Sue
For some reason my car disappeared off the computer for 3 weeks and the dealer was unable to find my car. I then called New Jersey and corporate called Germany and told me my car was on a ship arriving today actually. Yesterday the dealer called me and said the car popped back up on the computer and gave me the printout which showed it on Sirius Leader.

I went nuts to say the least and called New Jersey. They called me back this morning saying they made a mistake and my car was at the port for over a month waiting to get on a ship. Well, it finally did on May 25 and it is due to land in Los Angeles on June 16th on the Sirius Leader.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 AM

Here are the free arrival reports (links) for both the ports of San Diego and Hueneme (below). Unfortunately, both LA and SF port reports are fee-only reports, so we can't see their schedules without paying. I paid for the LA report when I was expecting my SL last year, as that gave me the arrival time down to the hour. I think it was $25 for a seven-day access to their reports for arrivals. I subscribed a few days before I expected my ship into port.

I just checked the Panama Canal area maps and the Sirius Leader is not there. It generally takes seven days to get from the Panama Canal to the LA area, so if it is due into San Diego on June 15 (see below), then it won't hit the Panama Canal until June 7 or 8; somewhere in that time period. It is my guess that the Sirius Leader is in the Atlantic Ocean right now and is not trackable. You (the general public) can only track it when it is near land via these public maps: http://www.aislive.com/index.aspx. You can subscribe for a two-week free trial. If you time it right by watching these AIS maps, once you see if appear in the Panama approach, you can follow the ship on the web cameras here http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html and actually watch your ship go through the locks:

I did find the following information on the Sirius Leader:

It departed Bremerhaven on 5/25/07.
Here's the link:
http://www.dbh.de/index.php?id=151&L...0070628&menu=%

The Sirius Leader is due into the Port of San Diego on June 15 and departing June 16. Here's the link: http://www.sdmis.org/schedule/

The Sirius Leader is due into Port Hueneme (north of LA) on June 18. Here's the link: http://www.portofhueneme.org/home.php

I could not find this ship going into the SF area. Is it only going as far north as Port Hueneme and then the car trucked north?? I don't know. Maybe someone else on this list who has had a car go into SF knows that answer.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 AM

I was busy writing that last reply and didn't see your latest reply. So, you are expecting it into LA? Also, the full dbh.de link didn't come through on my post. I will try it again. It shows your ship's schedule. (And mine, too. I am tracking the Sagittarius Leader for a friend.)

Here's the dbh.de link again:

http://www.dbh.de/index.php?id=151&L...0070628&menu=%

Another free tracking site is http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml

But, NYK Line ships generally don't report on this tracking system.