SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: free 1,000 to 3,000 new car check, y/no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
free 1,000 to 3,000 new car check, y/no?

Hey roadwarriors, they tell me Ive got to take my white angel in for a freebee before 3k miles. To tell you the truth, with so many of you having had bad experiences with the "stealers" I am not too keen about the idea. Do i have to let them check it out, or can i skip it without risk to warranty or whatever?

Nothing really the matter with the car. I have this nightmarish concern that they'll just fudge it all up on me. That when i get it back there'll be something new d'matter with it, coz some green-mech didnt know what he was doing.
In other words, why not leave well enough alone.

So what do you say - take her in and cross my fingers, or wait 'till A-service day?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by allminesl550
Hey roadwarriors, they tell me Ive got to take my white angel in for a freebee before 3k miles. To tell you the truth, with so many of you having had bad experiences with the "stealers" I am not too keen about the idea. Do i have to let them check it out, or can i skip it without risk to warranty or whatever?

Nothing really the matter with the car. I have this nightmarish concern that they'll just fudge it all up on me. That when i get it back there'll be something new d'matter with it, coz some green-mech didnt know what he was doing.
In other words, why not leave well enough alone.

So what do you say - take her in and cross my fingers, or wait 'till A-service day?
AS people would say...."If its not broken, Dont Mess with IT and leave it alone."

I dont understand the freebie part though? If you bought the car new they should service it under warranty no matter what till it is over? Or are you talking about freebie on Servicing it as in Oil Change, upkeeping, etc???
Old 07-24-2007, 03:50 AM

from the service booklet

Originally Posted by johnny5
AS people would say...."If its not broken, Dont Mess with IT and leave it alone."

I dont understand the freebie part though? If you bought the car new they should service it under warranty no matter what till it is over? Or are you talking about freebie on Servicing it as in Oil Change, upkeeping, etc???
"First Visit: Please bring your MB vehicle to your authorized MB Center for its first visit anytime between 1,000 and 3,000 miles.

This first visit is for basic vehicle diagnostic test and for answering any questions you may have regarding the vehicle and its features. This first visit is at no charge provided it is performed at an authorized MB Center ......"
Old 07-24-2007, 04:05 AM

"First Visit: Please bring your MB vehicle to your authorized MB Center for its first visit anytime between 1,000 and 3,000 miles.

This first visit is for basic vehicle diagnostic test and for answering any questions you may have regarding the vehicle and its features. This first visit is at no charge provided it is performed at an authorized MB Center ......"
If its just a check up and you'll be able to be there to talk with them and to see the car in your sight than hell with it....take it in and see how the break in went. Its pretty much a basic service to see how the break in period is. Its nothing to serious to stress over.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:25 AM

You dont believe in Gremlins, do you.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:35 AM

You dont believe in Gremlins, do you.
Sure I do...I believe most people believe in them. Thats why if I can do the servicing or repairs myself I will even though I have extended warranty unless its way to extreme for me than Ill take it in.

I believe theres people out there that will do things here and there so you will visit more which means more money for them. But keep in mind its always good to take it in to see how the break in is as well unless your confident that its up to par than dont even bother with it.

If its just a simple plug in to the Computer to see how everything is and an inspection you really got nothing to worry about. Besides do what I did when I took my car in to MB before and I had no other way of getting to work (besides it gave me a reason to miss work a little longer ) I stood near the bay and watched what there were doing. I also got good with a few guys there so maybe next time they can hook me up on a few things .
Old 07-24-2007, 10:57 AM

2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Take it in.

Form your own opinions about the level of service you receive.

I am happy with my service.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by JackStraw
Take it in.

Form your own opinions about the level of service you receive.

I am happy with my service.

Glad to hear that but also got to keep in mind location. I live in the Eastbay in Cali and have yet to find a MB Dealer that I am happy with!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by johnny5
Glad to hear that but also got to keep in mind location. I live in the Eastbay in Cali and have yet to find a MB Dealer that I am happy with!
It's more about safety than a convenient location or the quality of service. Here is a guy with a brand new car who just had it up to 125 mph. If it were me, I'd like to take in for a quick check up to see if everything is within spec. Things happen pretty fast at 125 mph.

There will be many opportunities for the dealer to take advantage of you in service if that is their inclination. The initial free check-up at 1000-3000 miles is not when they would do it... they want you to come back.

That being said, I am happy with the service I get. I think some people expect (or demand) too much.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JackStraw
It's more about safety than a convenient location or the quality of service. Here is a guy with a brand new car who just had it up to 125 mph. If it were me, I'd like to take in for a quick check up to see if everything is within spec. Things happen pretty fast at 125 mph.

There will be many opportunities for the dealer to take advantage of you in service if that is their inclination. The initial free check-up at 1000-3000 miles is not when they would do it... they want you to come back.

That being said, I am happy with the service I get. I think some people expect (or demand) too much.

I totally agree with you on the inspection. Not that Im saying he shouldnt do it. If you read above on some of my posts I stated to have it checked out. As for the 125mph I totally by passed that and forgot he did that on initial break in. Something that shouldnt have been done but has so yes I strongly agree taking it in for a check up to see how it was broken in.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 PM

Sure be nice to hear from some other folks on this one. Got 24 hours to decide. Leaning toward chancing it. Want to keep an eye on the situation if possible, also want to learn about the diagnostic end of things, but i reckon they'll give me the "our insurance doesnt allow customers in the service area...." line.

One reason i started this thread was, in case you know - based on the historical data whether they might need to make a decision to modify the software or tweak something related to motor operation. Coz if the dude is green he may tweak her wrong and that may really send me into a quiet fit.

So i know they'll be pulling data and examining it, but i dont know if they'll do anything about it without first getting my OK and explaining the whys and whats to me.

For instance, if she comes back and the next day starts idling rough or whatever, not sure how possible to return to original settings.

Ive had some doosies, but first time with Benz.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 PM

2006 SL55 Blk/Char Parktronic Keyless Go Xenon Lights Vent Seats; 2007 SL 550 (sold); 2001 CLK 430
Sure be nice to hear from some other folks on this one. Got 24 hours to decide. Leaning toward chancing it. Want to keep an eye on the situation if possible, also want to learn about the diagnostic end of things, but i reckon they'll give me the "our insurance doesnt allow customers in the service area...." line.

One reason i started this thread was, in case you know - based on the historical data whether they might need to make a decision to modify the software or tweak something related to motor operation. Coz if the dude is green he may tweak her wrong and that may really send me into a quiet fit.

So i know they'll be pulling data and examining it, but i dont know if they'll do anything about it without first getting my OK and explaining the whys and whats to me.

For instance, if she comes back and the next day starts idling rough or whatever, not sure how possible to return to original settings.

Ive had some doosies, but first time with Benz.
When I reached the 1000-3000 mile free check up with m new SL last year, I took it to the dealer that installed my Brabus wheels. Got to know my service rep and we helped them understand how to install the air pressure monitoring sensors on the Brabus wheels. Starting that relationship was helpful. They followed my instructions to the letter including "not" to clean the car.....it is Black and I did not want any scratches.

Start your relationship now and it should help you down the road. Just my .02 cents.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:30 AM

Ok good idea. Got any pics of those wheels, installed, and sizes.
What happened to the original wheels?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:20 PM

2006 SL55 Blk/Char Parktronic Keyless Go Xenon Lights Vent Seats; 2007 SL 550 (sold); 2001 CLK 430
Ok good idea. Got any pics of those wheels, installed, and sizes.
What happened to the original wheels?
Allmines,
I've attached some pictures of the Brabus wheels that I chose for my 2007 SL 550. Just switched out the 18" for 18" because I wanted to personalize it. I think the brushed metal finish from Brabus is the best for the lines of the car and Blk/Blk. (Just my opinion....I like many others on the forum too).

I have the original AMG wheels in the garage....they have no miles on them. If I ever sell, the original wheels might help close the deal.
Attached Thumbnails free 1,000 to 3,000 new car check, y/no?-sl550-036.jpg   free 1,000 to 3,000 new car check, y/no?-sl550-047.jpg   free 1,000 to 3,000 new car check, y/no?-brabuswheels001.jpg   free 1,000 to 3,000 new car check, y/no?-brabuswheels005.jpg   free 1,000 to 3,000 new car check, y/no?-brabuswheels007.jpg  

Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 AM

I knew it. I knew it.
I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!
They fudged-up my car.

If you dont know what im talking about i suggest you stop here and read above.

Five months of ownership and not a single thing malfunctioned.
The day after i take it in for a routine MB-recomended check and now my display is shot.
No more blue lakes. No more easy read. Just dark as ****.

On the way back from (well im not going to say yet where, i'll give them one hour to repair it first) the shop I noticed my cds skippin and popin what seemed to be much more than normal. But i let it slide, "just my imagination",
must be the rough freeway, "new road for me". Just sleep on it, tomorrow all will be well.
Tomorrow came, today, first ride out, in went WC and skip, skip. pop goes the cd again. oh well, must be the cd, lets turn it off and get the nav going, .....whaa.....whats this.......why so dark........on/off....same thing, switch to Last destes, nothing, just dark as **** barely visible.

I use it anyway. Listen to the lady, off the freeway she saids, left at exit, left again she saids, what?, back on the freeway! Ok, i do what she saids, hit RPT, she saids to stay put for 31 miles! But the mall I selected is only 3 miles away, and in the other direction! So i go back select the right dest again, straining to make out the screen, and so on and so on....

I have to ask Johnny and Jack what they think now.
Is this just some amazing coincidence, or could that mechanic who doodled with my car and looks like he had just got out of high school last week with straight C's, had something to do with it?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Try resetting the COMAND.

Press SERV

Press System

Press Reset

Follow instructions
Old 07-28-2007, 10:22 PM

And loose all my data/dest's. no way.
i'll take a look at display mode.
tanx
Old 07-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Live long and prosper.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:10 AM

Fayi, still seeing wierd things happening. FI,like you open the door and while you go to sit down suddenly the Benz emblem page comes up briefly on the command display then disappears. wtf! Never happened before they got their mits on it.
No biggy, but it makes you wonder what else is out of whack.