SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 24 Month Report Card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL 500
24 Month Report Card

Here is the latest installment of my ownership report cards. Kind of a big one this time. Transmission failed and I had to have the car towed in for repairs. Thank God it was covered under the warranty because it was an expensive fix I was told by the MB service rep.

0-12 months
1. A glovebox wouldn't open
2. A waterleak into the trunk

12-18 months
3. My CD changer stopped working
4. Climate Control System not working properly (replaced COMAND unit)
5. 9 and # buttons on the COMAND were not illuminated

18-24 months
6. Transmission malfunctioned, unable to drive car. Diagnosis by MB - valve body failed. They ended up rebuilding the entire rear end of the transmission system.
7. Oil leak.

I still love my car but I'm beginning to be a bit troubled by the "big ticket" items that have broken in only two years of ownership and 24,000 miles (i.e. COMAND unit and transmission). Lease is up in three months so I have time to comtemplate all this. My plans when I leased the car were to purchase it at the end of the lease.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
I'm seeing a lot of posted problems with the 7 speed that you don't see on the 2003 5 speeds.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
2004 SL report card..

My SL isn't my daily driver, and I have 22,000 miles on the clock. So far, it's behaved pretty nice, but, I have noticed the following issues:

1. Steering Wheel shaking or vibration at low speeds.

Cause: Checking the Technical Bulletins, it's a known issue with brushing on some SLs so I will get it addressed on Monday.

2. AC Odor - Mildew type of smell whenever the AC is turned on.
Cause: Not sure. Will get AC serviced, hopefully fixes the problem.

I will keep guys posted. heading to service center on monday.

Amer
Old 09-29-2007, 11:36 AM

'08 Audi R8, '09 SL63, '10 GLK, '10 ML550
Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
Here is the latest installment of my ownership report cards. Kind of a big one this time. Transmission failed and I had to have the car towed in for repairs.
So Cal Sam, we got our cars about the same time (yours a little ahead of mine) and I always find your report cards interesting.

The transmission is always a worry of mine, so I was disappointed to read that yours did fail. Do you use your shiftronic? I always do, and I wonder if others do, too. I am a woman (and not a motorhead) and I wonder if the transmission is likely to fail faster by using the shiftronic. Sometimes my shifting isn't as smooth as the car's shifting ability. Maybe someone out there can comment on a person's shifting ability vs. a car's shifting ability and the wear and tear on the transmission. I don't see this car being able to take a lot of hard shifting.

I love my car, too. Even as a woman, it is my passion in life and I look forward to driving it every day. I see this car as a thoroughbred, though. It takes pampering and I know it is subject to more breakdowns. It is not a Toyota, for sure, and I knew that when I bought the car. Just pulling into the garage each day, the heat coming off my SL is unlike any car I have ever owned. I know it is closer to a "rocket ship" than any simple Toyota I have ever owned. And, I certainly enjoy it more than any Toyota I have ever owned, by far! I wish it had the reliability of a Toyota, but it is far more complicated than a Toyota. I know a guy who owns a SL63 AMG, a Porsche, and a Ferrari (I can't remember the exact models); all relatively new. He drives his Ferrari the least, because it is SO unreliable. He's had the Ferrari in the shop so many times for transmission failures. He's tired of the breakdowns. His Porsche reliability is somewhere in the middle, and his SL is his favorite, for its reliability. He drives the SL the most because he trusts it the most. Now, I know every car is different, from car to car, but for someone who owns all three thoroughbreds, I think that is an interesting comparison.

I would not own the SL without its factory or an extended warranty, because repairs are so costly. I will be leasing the new 2009 facelifted model when it comes out next year, so I will not own my current SL beyond its four-year warranty.

My SL has not had too many problems. My 18-month report card (all covered under warranty):

1. Ashtray lid sticks open or closed.
2. Oil leak (faulty valve cover).

My husband's 2007 GL450 (one-year old) has not had any issues other than some type of faulty oil-level reading on the dash, and my 2008 ML550 (another rocket ship! :-)) is only 14 days old.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:12 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by spnslc
So Cal Sam, we got our cars about the same time (yours a little ahead of mine) and I always find your report cards interesting.

The transmission is always a worry of mine, so I was disappointed to read that yours did fail. Do you use your shiftronic? I always do, and I wonder if others do, too. I am a woman (and not a motorhead) and I wonder if the transmission is likely to fail faster by using the shiftronic. Sometimes my shifting isn't as smooth as the car's shifting ability. Maybe someone out there can comment on a person's shifting ability vs. a car's shifting ability and the wear and tear on the transmission. I don't see this car being able to take a lot of hard shifting.

I love my car, too. Even as a woman, it is my passion in life and I look forward to driving it every day. I see this car as a thoroughbred, though. It takes pampering and I know it is subject to more breakdowns. It is not a Toyota, for sure, and I knew that when I bought the car. Just pulling into the garage each day, the heat coming off my SL is unlike any car I have ever owned. I know it is closer to a "rocket ship" than any simple Toyota I have ever owned. And, I certainly enjoy it more than any Toyota I have ever owned, by far! I wish it had the reliability of a Toyota, but it is far more complicated than a Toyota. I know a guy who owns a SL63 AMG, a Porsche, and a Ferrari (I can't remember the exact models); all relatively new. He drives his Ferrari the least, because it is SO unreliable. He's had the Ferrari in the shop so many times for transmission failures. He's tired of the breakdowns. His Porsche reliability is somewhere in the middle, and his SL is his favorite, for its reliability. He drives the SL the most because he trusts it the most. Now, I know every car is different, from car to car, but for someone who owns all three thoroughbreds, I think that is an interesting comparison.

I would not own the SL without its factory or an extended warranty, because repairs are so costly. I will be leasing the new 2009 facelifted model when it comes out next year, so I will not own my current SL beyond its four-year warranty.

My SL has not had too many problems. My 18-month report card (all covered under warranty):

1. Ashtray lid sticks open or closed.
2. Oil leak (faulty valve cover).

My husband's 2007 GL450 (one-year old) has not had any issues other than some type of faulty oil-level reading on the dash, and my 2008 ML550 (another rocket ship! :-)) is only 14 days old.
Excellant post
Old 09-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Excellant post
Thanks. I am passionate about my SL, just like you guys, and I enjoy these posts a lot.

One other "Toyota-related" comment. In my first year of ownership of my SL, I received car-related questionnaires weekly ("we value your opinion") from every car manufacturer, magazine (Motor Trend, Car and Driver) out there. I literally received a questionnaire a week. The most interesting one was an email asking my opinion about the design of four different "concept cars." They sent me photos of these concept cars and asked me my opinion about every angle of this one particular car. I think it was Toyota (maybe Lexus) throwing a design out there, to get people's opinions about it. From what I could glean from their questionnaire, they want to market this car in the $200,000 range (it might be far enough along that it is all over the internet now). It looks Porsche-ish from the front and sides, but Ferrari-ish from the back. Its back end was much squarer, and had a short and squished look, and much fatter than a Ferrari. The tail lights were big, square and (I thought) ugly. Not sporty at all. It looked like someone rammed into the back of the car. I don't care how reliable Toyota can make that car, it just won't compare to the SL's design. And, of course, I couldn't help but compare it to the SL. Every time the questionnaire asked me "why" I answered the way I did, it was hard to be enthusiastic about their design (mostly just the back end). The SL is, by far, the sleekest, classiest design out there (IMHO). I just don't know how anyone could improve on it.

So, Toyota is going to try and compete in the high-end sports car market. It will be interesting if they can be successful with this car and what its reliability record will be like. The questionnaire didn't mention anything about the engine size or any of the options. I just didn't find the design for me. Even if it is more reliable than the SL, I wouldn't pay $30,000 for that car. In fact, you couldn't give me that car. For a $200,000 car, it just won't compare to the SL. When I see a SL coming down the street, it jumps out at me more than any other car.

So Cal Sam, I wouldn't think (even once) about choosing any other car.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 PM

CLS63, GLK350
All brands have issues and I don't think Toyota/Lexus is as bullet proof as their rep would indicate. I've owned a Landcruiser and a LX470, great vehicles but they have some common issues that I've not seen on the SL's. Yes some people on this forum have had several issues mostly little. The LC/LX have starts that commonly go out at around 90K miles and based on where it is located can cost $1500 to replace. Also common is the exhaust manifolds cracking at around 90K miles another $900+ each to fix and they will crack again. Timing belts and water pumps need to be changed at 90K miles and that is another $1000, yes it is a maintance item but not cheap. So they all have issues. For the unwashed masses most would think that a LX470 was one of the most dependable vehicles made. So if you get into other vehicles and do the research I think you will be supprised. When I did the research on the SL I was really impressed with the small problems that most were having. I did buy the CPO vehicle and extended the warranty to 3 years and 100K miles just because of the complex nature of the SL and if one of the expensive systems went south the extended warranty would be a bargain compared to the cost of repair.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by SL2003driver
if one of the expensive systems went south the extended warranty would be a bargain compared to the cost of repair.
Years ago, my husband and I bought a brand new Honda Accord LXi, which was a very nice car. (Maybe still is--I don't know if they still make them.) It had electric everything on it, including electric windows and door locks. It was a first for us, to buy a car with all the "bells and whistles." Because those bells and whistles always had a tendency to break, my husband wouldn't have normally opted for them. (Thankfully, he became a changed man, since our garage is now full of Mercedes with bells and whistles. :-)) The Accord was the only car where we opted for an extended warranty. In the end, I can't tell you how many window regulators and electric door locks went out on that car (not to mention the water pump, too) and they were all replaced under our extended warranty. The cost of those repairs would have paid for the extended warranty four times over.

We never had any issues with our past Toyotas, but with what you have written, maybe there is now a case for people to get extended warranties on those cars, too! We certainly needed it for the Honda, which was supposed to be a reliable car. Thankfully, we opted for it.

I would have bought the extended warranty for the SL, especially because of the roof mechanism, COMAND unit, and the transmission system, but I knew ahead of time that Mercedes was coming out with an updated SL before my manufacturers warranty expired, and that I would flip my SL for the new version (which will be the facelift next year). So I opted not to go with the extended warranty. If I were to hold onto this car for more than four years, there is no doubt I would have purchased the extended warranty, but that is my personal opinion. I know it is a tough decision to make, though.

I have a friend who used to be a Mercedes salesman who told me to wait until my car was 12 months old to determine if I needed to buy the extended warranty. He said, “Wait to see if your car is “buggy” that first year, then decide.”

You can buy the extended warranty up to the 12th month at no additional cost, as far as I know. Even though my friend didn’t believe in always buying an extended warranty on Mercedes, I would have felt better (on a daily basis) knowing I had the protection of an extended warranty, especially with the SL and its roof mechanism and the COMAND unit! They are so costly to repair and they have so much that can go wrong. The roof on my SL is up and down multiple times a day!
Old 09-29-2007, 08:02 PM

You know, If Mercedes merged with Toyota (Lexus) we could have perfect cars. Imagine if Toyota factories built the Mercedes designed cars, we could have both the beauty and reliability we all desire and both auto manufacturers would save (us) money.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dans_SL
You know, If Mercedes merged with Toyota (Lexus) we could have perfect cars.
Wishful thinking!

Two weeks ago, I traded in my 2004 Limited Edition Toyota Highlander (filled with "bells and whistles") for the new 2008 Mercedes ML550 (even more "bells and whistles.") I have to tell you that tonight, due to the cold rainy weather, I turned on the heating system in the ML for the first time, which includes the multi-zone heating system and full seat heaters. The whole car was warm (almost too warm) before we even got out of the parking garage. This luxury was definately lacking in my Toyota. Those are the luxuries I love about Mercedes (not to mention the smooth ride and interior quietness-also lacking in my Toyota), and the reason why our "Toyota-filled" garage has now been replaced by a "Mercedes-filled" garage! I use to be a big Toyota fan, too, but Mercedes styling and luxury has them beat. (Although, no doubt, Mercedes is more expensive. You get what you pay for.)
Old 09-29-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Wishful thinking!

Two weeks ago, I traded in my 2004 Limited Edition Toyota Highlander (filled with "bells and whistles") for the new 2008 Mercedes ML550 (even more "bells and whistles.") I have to tell you that tonight, due to the cold rainy weather, I turned on the heating system in the ML for the first time, which includes the multi-zone heating system and full seat heaters. The whole car was warm (almost too warm) before we even got out of the parking garage. This luxury was definately lacking in my Toyota. Those are the luxuries I love about Mercedes (not to mention the smooth ride and interior quietness-also lacking in my Toyota), and the reason why our "Toyota-filled" garage has now been replaced by a "Mercedes-filled" garage! I use to be a big Toyota fan, too, but Mercedes styling and luxury has them beat. (Although, no doubt, Mercedes is more expensive. You get what you pay for.)
--

But in reality, you are comparing a 2004 Highlander with a 2008 Mercedes ML550. That's like comparing LaBron James vs. a college level Basketball player. Sure both can play basketball and perform. But the level of ability and skill is light years apart.

Same w/ a Highlander and ML. People who buy Highlander know they are getting a good quality daily performer which is do the job. An ML on the other is more expensive, more luxuries and justifibly more stylish. You are right, you get what u pay for.

I have a couple of Toyotas and an SL. My SL isn't my daily driver and I am okay w/ that. I love my toyotas without fail, they perform solidly. I haven't take my toyotas to the shop for any major repairs since I bought them. I realize they aren't the most stylish or high-performance beasts, but that's why there's a the weekend SL in the garage
Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by djamer
I have a couple of Toyotas and an SL. My SL isn't my daily driver and I am okay w/ that. I love my toyotas without fail, they perform solidly. I haven't take my toyotas to the shop for any major repairs since I bought them. I realize they aren't the most stylish or high-performance beasts, but that's why there's a the weekend SL in the garage
All true and I agree. My Toyotas have always been solid performers, too, with no issues, other than the luxuries. Of course, I didn't know "luxuries" were an issue with Toyotas until I started driving Mercedes. I thought my Limited Edition Highlander was "luxurious." Now I am spoiled with Mercedes.

Then you take a high-performance car like the SL and it melds "fun" and "luxuries" together. There is nothing more fun than stomping on the gas in the SL and getting sucked into your seat. It is a thrill for me every time. The SL is not only luxurious, but it is so much fun to drive.

So Cal Sam, why don't you lease the newly facelifted SL when it comes out next year, instead of purchasing your SL when the lease is up??
Old 09-29-2007, 11:08 PM

2006 SL 500

spnslc,

I actually have only used the shiftronic twice in 2 years of ownership so the transmission problem cannot be traced to that. The problem with the transmission was sudden. I drove someplace, stayed for a couple of hours came out and drove off and BAM the car would hardly run. I limped home on surface streets (about 7 miles) and then got up in the morning to see if the problem was still there. I'd had instances in the past where the car seemed like it would not shift out of first and then I would stop and turn the car off and then turn it back on and the problem was gone (after thinking about that I think I might have inadvertantly hit the gershift and gone into shiftronic without realizing it). Unforturtunately the problem this time did not magically disappear.

As I said in my first post - I absolutely love this car. All the little things that have needed warranty repair haven't really troubled me it's just those 2 big things happening in the cars young life that have me concerned. I agree with you that this car is a well bred racehorse with many complicated systems. It has performed magnificently 99% of the time and for that I'm very pleased.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:12 PM

2006 SL 500
All true and I agree. My Toyotas have always been solid performers, too, with no issues, other than the luxuries. Of course, I didn't know "luxuries" were an issue with Toyotas until I started driving Mercedes. I thought my Limited Edition Highlander was "luxurious." Now I am spoiled with Mercedes.

Then you take a high-performance car like the SL and it melds "fun" and "luxuries" together. There is nothing more fun than stomping on the gas in the SL and getting sucked into your seat. It is a thrill for me every time. The SL is not only luxurious, but it is so much fun to drive.

So Cal Sam, why don't you lease the newly facelifted SL when it comes out next year, instead of purchasing your SL when the lease is up??
spnslc, I've thought about that but from what I've seen of the facelifted model I don't care for it.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
spnslc, I've thought about that but from what I've seen of the facelifted model I don't care for it.
I just hate to see you give up on the SL. I know you've liked your SL as much as I have like mine.

So far, I am not having problems liking the 2009 facelift. I certainly love our original model, but I think the new one is a nice update, too. I am anxious to see more photos to make my final judgement call. We should see full photos very soon.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:01 AM

2006 SL 500
I just hate to see you give up on the SL. I know you've liked your SL as much as I have like mine.

So far, I am not having problems liking the 2009 facelift. I certainly love our original model, but I think the new one is a nice update, too. I am anxious to see more photos to make my final judgement call. We should see full photos very soon.
Don't give up on me yet! I still want to keep my SL at this moment in time. I'll see how things develop over the next few months. This is the best car I've ever owned and I hope I will keep it for awhile.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:27 AM

2006 SL 500
I'm Baaaaack!

Well there has been a lot of water under the bridge since I last posted back in Sept. '07 on this thread. I turned in my car at the end of my lease in January '08 because of the big ticket items noted above that were covered under warranty and because MB would not budge on the entirely too high residual on my lease - $73,000 after 27 months.

Bad experience during the lease return: The inspector came out and found the car flawless (I really love my cars and take great care of them) except he said my Maintenance Booklet was missing and that would cost me $500 when I turned the car in. I don't believe I ever saw a Maintenance Booklet and if I did I surely would not have lost it - ie: I take good care of my cars and don't lose things. When I turned in the car I told them in no uncertain terms that I was not going to pay $500 for something I don't think I ever had or was lost by the MB service guys when I had work done. The lease end guy said I could buy a used one from them for $140 and I said no way to that too. Paperwork was sent to MD Financial and I never heard another word about it. I get the sneaking suspicion they were trying to rip me off - pretty perceptive of me to think that doncha think? Anyone else had similar experiences?

Now to the good part. I kept my eye on this forum and noticed that a car very similar to mine was sold at a Mannheim auction in Riverside, CA in mid February 2008. I started watching the internet used car sites and Ebay and lo and behold my car came up for sale in mid-May 2008 - at first for $65,800, then $59,000, then 56,900 and I bought it back after a bit of back and forth (I offered $50k then $52K but the independent used car dealer wouldn't go lower than $56k so I bought it for that). I'm very happy to have "my car" back because I ordered it just exactly like I wanted it and I got it for I think a fair price although I did see a 2006 SL "buy back" with 36,000 miles go for $45,300 (mine has 25,000 miles). I know these cars prices are going to drop fast with the cost of gas and the poor economy but I'm very happy to be a true SL 500 owner again! Oh, the used car dealer went halfsies on an extended warranty (Mercury) to allay my fears of big ticket things going wrong after the MB warranty was up.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:53 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Mercedes seems like a strange company, but I guess they are making money where many others are not?? You did a great job saving $17K off what MB wanted to sell you your car for congrats and welcome back.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
That is an interesting update, Sam.

My lease expires later this month. I too was surprised that MB Financial is not budging on the residual- mine is $69,000 and I see MB Certified cars going for high $50's.

How did you find your car on the resale? Cars.com?

I think I'm covered with the manual and keys. I too keep the car near perfect but have a couple scuffed wheels- not sure what they'll try to get for that. I bought a wood wheel and gearshift knob, thinking of putting the originals back on and keeping these for my next one.

No problems with the car except occasional transmission clunks when under 25 mph.

I'm hoping that $5 per gallon gas and shaky economy will prompt MB to offer some incentives on the new SL550.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:24 AM

2006 SL 500
Thanks SL2003driver...it's good to be back. boylston, I just kept looking at cars.com and ebay periodically to see if my car appeared. It was just dumb luck and coincidence brought about by me being persistent.

The car drove great after I picked it up. All my radio presets, Sirius presets (Sirius was working even though I cancelled my subscription when I turned the lease in), and my items in navigation memory were all set just like I left them. One bit of advice I would give you when the inspector comes out at lease end - stay with them and watch their every move. It only takes them about 20 minutes.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 AM

WOW! Even the radio presets remained the same... Congratulations on getting your car back better (cheaper) than ever... Very lucky, since Life doesn't always give us a 2nd chance... Good Luck.

Last edited by Dans_SL; 06-09-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 AM

2003 SL500, 2004 C230 Sport Sedan
Did it still open your garage door?

I have to remember to reset mine on my 04 C230 SS when the lease ends
this September.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Do you know

Do you know what it sold for at Auction??
Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM

2006 SL 500
Jeff, I didn't have it set up to open the garage door. Stephen, no I don't know what it sold for at auction. I was wrong in my post where I said I thought I saw it auctioned at a Mannheim auction in Riverside, CA. The used car dealer said that he purchased it at a MB Financial auction in Ontario, CA. As far as what he paid for it, he told me that he was losing money on this car. Might just be dealer talk but he did start out much higher than what I ultimately paid him.