SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: New to the forum; Have a question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2007 | 03:45 PM

New to the forum; Have a question..

Is there any way I can swap an SL55 tail light on my SL500? Are they intertangable?

Flame the newb!

Just kidding! I did a search, and found about a thousand newbs asking that! Now to the real question. I saw a picture at Goeckel of the SL with the SLR style kit on it. The kit looks amazing, and the SLR style sides are really interesting too! The thing that really caught my eyes was a picture of the rear, with SLR style tail lights! I'll be honest, I love SL's, but our tail lights are kinda boring. Is the SLR style tail lights photoshopped? Or can we buy them on the site?... because I dont see them mentioned on the site anywhere. If they exist, how can I get my hands on them?!?!

And is the trunk also photoshopped? Or do they sell that trunk too? I like how its wider, and more angular. It flows with the lines of the tail lights alot better. Sorry, its hard to understand that website, since theres no english version.

Last edited by Silverbolt; 10-14-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2007 | 08:01 PM

Steel Grey 2012 ML350 is wife's
Here's something I came across... http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/for...sts=12&start=1
Old 10-15-2007 | 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by gocargo
Thanks for the find! I posted and asked him to see if they have them there, when he goes to visit them.

If anyone else has any info on those tails, or any other aftermarket tail lights, PLEASE let me know
Old 10-15-2007 | 12:42 PM

SL500
That's a great looking rear! I'm sure it's photoshopped, for some reason, even the exhaust has been taken out??
Old 10-15-2007 | 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by BlackonBlack
That's a great looking rear! I'm sure it's photoshopped, for some reason, even the exhaust has been taken out??
Actually, the bumper is real. Theres a couple companies that I know of that make an SLR style rear bumper for the SL's, and they even go as far as having the exhaust exit from the side, just like the SLR. The only thing I cant figure out is if those tail lights are real.
Old 10-16-2007 | 09:55 AM

2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
The only thing I cant figure out is if those tail lights are real.
They look like the stock SL lenses with an overlay in the center to simulate the SLR look.
Old 10-16-2007 | 12:54 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by JackStraw
They look like the stock SL lenses with an overlay in the center to simulate the SLR look.
Ver nice tail lamps though. I would get them if I could. Very stylish IMO. I wonder what exctly is the piece embedded into the bumper. Does that light up? What's that grey portion?
Old 10-16-2007 | 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by JackStraw

You might be right, but I hope you're wrong. I really want to have some options for some aftermarket tail lights. If these are just overlays, then forget it... it'll end up looking really tacky in person. Looking at the picture, it just looks too good to just be overlays, but then again, maybe thats just me and my wishful thinking.
Old 10-16-2007 | 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlackonBlack
Ver nice tail lamps though. I would get them if I could. Very stylish IMO. I wonder what exctly is the piece embedded into the bumper. Does that light up? What's that grey portion?
Which parts are you talking about? THe grey portion?... are you talking about the gray/silver part inside the tail lights? That idea came from the SLR. The silver parts has L.E.D.s embedded in it. I believe those LEDs light up as the SLR's turn signal. The part thats in the bumper is the reflector for the SLR. On the insides, next to the red reflectors are supposed to be a square, for the reverse lights. Either they took it out, or painted the lense red. The black center part is an open grill/mesh to allow air flow, so the back bumper doesnt "parachute" and slow the car down.
Old 10-18-2007 | 05:19 AM

SL
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
Is there any way I can swap an SL55 tail light on my SL500? Are they intertangable?

Flame the newb!

Just kidding! I did a search, and found about a thousand newbs asking that! Now to the real question. I saw a picture at Goeckel of the SL with the SLR style kit on it. The kit looks amazing, and the SLR style sides are really interesting too! The thing that really caught my eyes was a picture of the rear, with SLR style tail lights! I'll be honest, I love SL's, but our tail lights are kinda boring. Is the SLR style tail lights photoshopped? Or can we buy them on the site?... because I dont see them mentioned on the site anywhere. If they exist, how can I get my hands on them?!?!

And is the trunk also photoshopped? Or do they sell that trunk too? I like how its wider, and more angular. It flows with the lines of the tail lights alot better. Sorry, its hard to understand that website, since theres no english version.

why do u wanna do that? don't do that please... it's stupid