SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2005 SL500 for sale, soooo many extras!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
Another question: The listings you posted first from the manheim auctions were all presumably MB SL500's. Is that correct and where does it list the year?
The pricing information is from the make/model/year. If you want a different year, it would be a separate list if that makes sense.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2003 Designo (sold), SL500 2004, Nissan GT350
Hey Jonny. Wow, lots of chatter about the sale of your Merc. Have you sold it yet?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:13 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
with these prices, i'm 100% sure he'll keep it unless it's a life or death lack of cash situation.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:25 PM

SL500 2003 Designo (sold), SL500 2004, Nissan GT350
Originally Posted by amgme
with these prices, i'm 100% sure he'll keep it unless it's a life or death lack of cash situation.
Most of us take a really big hit when we sell used cars chances are he's not going to get the price he is asking for.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Mannheim, just FYI....

is the world's largest auction company. It is part of the *** package. Having been in, out, and around the industry for over 30 years, you guys have to remember that Mannheim is to be used as a guide. It doesn't necessarily mean that your car is worth more, less, or the same. It's supposed to give you an idea of where to start. Of course, some yahoos in the car biz think that MMR is the Bible, and will not deviate from it. The thing that most folks don't understand is that the majority of the cars in the lane at any Mannheim sale, with few exceptions, are usually average cars at best. Occasionally you will see a real quality example. When you do, it will bring big $$. The cars in the lane at the auction don't look like the car that you love in the garage. Most need thorough cleaining, refurbing, ding removal, tires, wheel repair, new floor mats, a spare key or two and TLC to get close to the car that us enthusiast guys want. Also remember that most dealers have 3 to 500 per car in freight to get them back to the shop, and another 2 to 400 per car in auction fees that Mannheim colllects. That has to be added to the price BEFORE it hits the recon shop.
My dad always said it's tough to pay too much for the nicer ones, and you can't buy the average cars cheap enough. Still true. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
is the world's largest auction company. It is part of the *** package. Having been in, out, and around the industry for over 30 years, you guys have to remember that Mannheim is to be used as a guide. It doesn't necessarily mean that your car is worth more, less, or the same. It's supposed to give you an idea of where to start. Of course, some yahoos in the car biz think that MMR is the Bible, and will not deviate from it. The thing that most folks don't understand is that the majority of the cars in the lane at any Mannheim sale, with few exceptions, are usually average cars at best. Occasionally you will see a real quality example. When you do, it will bring big $$. The cars in the lane at the auction don't look like the car that you love in the garage. Most need thorough cleaining, refurbing, ding removal, tires, wheel repair, new floor mats, a spare key or two and TLC to get close to the car that us enthusiast guys want. Also remember that most dealers have 3 to 500 per car in freight to get them back to the shop, and another 2 to 400 per car in auction fees that Mannheim colllects. That has to be added to the price BEFORE it hits the recon shop.
My dad always said it's tough to pay too much for the nicer ones, and you can't buy the average cars cheap enough. Still true. Hope this helps.
Excellent perspective
Old 02-23-2008, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05' SL500 (Sold) - 01' S430 - 05' Yama R1- 02' ML500 (sold)
Originally Posted by amgme
Originally Posted by lovemysl
Hey Jonny. Wow, lots of chatter about the sale of your Merc. Have you sold it yet?
No have not sold it yet. I wanted to put it to get feed back and apperantly i got a lot. Thanks for all the great feedback.

Yes i understand that my pricing is high, well i was hoping to start a trend to keep our car values REASONABLE, instead of taking such a dive in this soft market.

And yes you are correct AMGME i do plan to keep it unless my financial situation changes. Well maybe i might have to with this pricing huh?

If worst comes to worst you might see another add for it but at a more REASONABLE price.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:32 PM

A car is worth what the next person will buy it for It only takes one person that wants it exactly that way with out the hassles and delays of mod-ing it themselves. Good luck.