Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
SL350 UK Prices....

Apparently the SL350 prices have been announced:

http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/firstimpa...?id=2283&pos=1

"...Standard equipment includes leather upholstery and metallic paint, 17-inch alloy wheels; electric memory seating; speed-sensitive parameter power-assisted steering; xenon headlights, plus a host of other luxury items. As with every SL-Class Roadster, service intervals are variable, and the car has mobilo-life, the industry-leading 30-year anti-corrosion and breakdown warranty.

The new Mercedes-Benz SL 350 Roadster will be available from March 2003 priced at just £56,340 on the road"

As suspected, and now have the extras list for anyone interested....

Last edited by Mustard; 12-04-2002 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:39 AM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
should be a big seller at that price
Old 12-04-2002, 11:21 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by mookie
should be a big seller at that price

Thats $88,000. No extras, just Leather & Metallic.

You could buy a fully stocked SL500 in the USA for that, couldn't you?.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
the uk sl500 = BP 67,790
Old 12-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Mustard
Thats $88,000. No extras, just Leather & Metallic.

You could buy a fully stocked SL500 in the USA for that, couldn't you?.
i thought 89K$ ish was stock! lol
Old 12-05-2002, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The US prices you see are before tax, so a better comparison is $74320. The SL500 MSRP is 3% more expensive in the UK than the US, so that would suggest a US sticker of about $72k.

The German SL350 is lower spec than this, no leather or metallic and leather/cloth upholstery, would probably be seen as too low-rent in the UK and receive a pasting in the press. Items likely to be missing are ABC and COMMAND which will cost about $6k to put back in.

The choice of transmission is curious and it will be interesting to see how it's received. A sequential semi-manual transmission plays to the sporting aspirations of the car, yet they've done the opposite by removing ABC. Not many SL350 owners will be expecting anything other than normal automatic transmission, so the manual shift buttons (which I don't use much on my SL55) will be largely redundant.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:56 PM

SL500
Options

Hi Mustard,

Do you know what the std UK spec is yet?

It'll be interesting to see if COMAND, ABC and BiXenons are std UK spec as they are with the SL500.

What colour are you going for? I'll probably go for obsidian, blk leather and black ash wood, and chuck on the 18" AMG wheels.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:44 PM

BMW 535d Touring
SL350 spec....

Standard UK spec includes leather and Metallic, but NOT bi-xenons, ABC, COMAND, or wood trim. Even the 6disc CD is an extra. Auto is £670.

Curious, too about the sequentronic, BlueSL. Don't yet know how automatic it could be. Will probably now look at auto box. Those paddles are definitely redundant for you, are they? Too slow?

Definitely Jasper Blue, Alpaca Grey. Or Silver/Berry. Nah, definitely Jasper Blue, or perhaps......

But nice colour choice, obsidian/ash. Not ideal for the UK. Black needs light not gloom. Good choice the AMG 18" 5-spoke wheels, too. Go for it!!

Last edited by Mustard; 12-05-2002 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:07 AM

SL500
Has anyone (i.e. jornos) driven an sl350 yet?

Will be interesting to see if they miss the abc compared to an sl500.

How do you know the uk spec already - official mbuk source, or from a mag?

I'm not even going to consider the sequentronic thing unless it gets raved about which seems unlikely - must be an auto.

Haven't done the sums yet, but a reasonably specd 350 is going be well over 60k in UK isn't it?

Spec will be

Obs Blk, Blk, Blk Wood (surprised wood not std uk)
bixenon
roof rack prep
auto
massage seats
heated seats (UK std?)
amg18"
folding mirrors (UK std?)
COMAND
CD Changer
panoramic roof (a must have!)
interior protection

was thinking of but now won't bother with
keyless go
fan cooling seats
distronic (cool idea, but bet its a bit naff it practice cos because other drivers pull into the gap - is this anyone elses experience?)

will get abc if it makes a big difference to feel.

Do UK cars get the "undershield" as standard?

Cheers
Old 12-06-2002, 12:32 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Your spec - £63,290 on the road. The wheels are £1880.

Folding mirrors, heated seats standard. Not bad, eh?

No Phone? £620 for Nokia 6310i fitted.

Distronic is useless. Make a gap and its filled. Imagine going round the M25 with it on. You'd be going backwards!!

I would have Parktronic, have it in my BMW and couldn't be without it. Great for the wife too. Less dents. Also have Linguitronic on the BMW. Handy, but don't use it all except to show off.

I've changed to Automatic. Too much risk for resale with Sequentronic, but looking forward to first test, which I guess will be next month from Euroland somewhere.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:47 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Autocar published the base price on Wednesday, I have a preliminary spec sheet from MBUK, and a (secret) Optional Equipment sheet with prices. My UK dealer reckons its not firm, but I am sure if you placed an order based on the price I gave you it would be right within £100.

I tried for a discount but just no chance, despite using an Estate order as a sweetner. Miserable b****ers.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
The speed of the manual change is not a problem. I like to use it to play but generally, there's so much power and torque that you just put your foot down and whoosh, you're gone.

Did have a play with it this morning when I used to overtake 5 cars in a single, safe, seamless manoeuvre. Just stunning.

Seems to me you need to beware of spec'ing up an SL350 too much, otherwise it will get too close to an SL500 and you'll suffer at resale time.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:14 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Good advice on speccing.

At the moment I'm still 20% under a well specced SL500. If they depreciate at the same rate I'll be well ahead. Have put in Parktronic, Pano roof, COMAND, Keyless go, TV, phone, Linguatronic, & comfort seats. Big spec but my feeling is there'll be a lot wanting an SL350 later, especially women. And I believe there'll be a tightening of availability next year.

Could leave out the roof & seats but want the rest.

Would very much like a 500 but still long wait times - surmountable, but may sell the SL350 if there's a premium at all (doubtful) and get the 500 later. The SL55 would just be an extravagance for me, I'm past performance for the sake of it
If I can only take 3 cars in one go, I'll do the other two another time.

Still, glad of your advice, and was going to PM to pick your brains -(if the red hasn't got it all...)
Old 12-06-2002, 05:32 PM

Wont the SL350 come with the choice of Avantgarde or Elegance??
Old 12-06-2002, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Why not have all the toys you want, especially if you're going to be keeping the car for a while? That's what I'm intending to do because I don't see anything on the horizon that's likely to compete.

The TV's an interesting one. During the time your car will be around (not necessarily in your hands), it will certainly become obsolete when the Government get round to switching off the analogue TV transmitters. BTW, I think you're right to go with conventional automatic.

Interested in your comment about tightening supply. The good old British consumer is powering car sales to an all-time high for the second year running, all on the back of soaring house prices and low interest rates, so I guess there will be a surge of demand for the car when it becomes available.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:26 PM

SL500
Parktronic is a must, I wouldn't be without it.

I wouldn't bother with liguatronic or TV though. Had TV in an M3, and used it once, and that was only to get a footy score on the Teletext. Great gadget, but you won't use it, believe me.

They're expensive, but if you want a dead easy resale, bung on the AMGs.

To ABC or not to ABC is the only major uncertainty I have at the moment (its v expensive).
Old 12-08-2002, 02:49 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by NastyAluQuadra
Parktronic is a must, I wouldn't be without it.

I wouldn't bother with liguatronic or TV though. Had TV in an M3, and used it once, and that was only to get a footy score on the Teletext. Great gadget, but you won't use it, believe me.

They're expensive, but if you want a dead easy resale, bung on the AMGs.

To ABC or not to ABC is the only major uncertainty I have at the moment (its v expensive).
Mmmm. Saves a grand leaving off the lingua and TV. Still doesn't pay for a set of wheels. I have 5-spoke sport wheels on my BMW and they have affected the ride. Bent three of them as well. Figure if someone wants them they can after-spec them. Never use voice control on the BMW - too slow - its like a 20 questions session with the wife, but the same answers...

So ABC or not. An aussie reviewer says it wouldn't be the same care without ABC - gonna wait till the last minute to decide.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:08 PM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
Avtive body control is the way to go, High tech at its best , worth every dime
Old 12-08-2002, 04:38 PM

Mustard - I have driven SL 500s with standard 7 spoke and AMG 5 spoke. Wanted to see if AMG's were much firmer but there's hardly any difference - guess the ABC soaks it up.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Buying an SL350 certainly exercises the brain cells because there are more options to choose from but from what you say, the SL350 here is specc'ed up compared to the car in Germany which does not have metallic, leather, wood, heated seats, command, CD changer, Xenons etc etc. I believe it does still have an engine.

I've said it before that what impressed me most from the start was not the extra power of the engine or the noise, but the ABC. A back to back comparison between my SL55 and my SL600 (same weight, 79% of the power, old suspension) shows that it's this and the rack and pinion steering which really set the new SL apart from the previous generation. ABC is so good at disguising the car's bulk and gives it as neutral cornering stance and fluidity of movement which puts it on a par with something like a 911.

The TV will be a nice gadget to show off but Nasty's right, I do not know when I'd ever use it. At £800, it's ludicrously expensive and when are you going to use it? I guess you might if you have a heavy commute or if you like to listen to TV as you would radio (sound but no picture) when on the move. Perhaps you'll get into the habit of having TV dinners in the garage behind the wheel of your SL just so that you can use it once in a while!

I'm getting better at making Linguatronic understand my dulcit tones, but foolproof it is not, especially when you're driving at speed. Helga (she had been christened thus in Chateau blueSL) keeps thinking I'm saying "TV" instead of "CD" so she keeps saying "TV not installed", yes, yes, I know that, what I wanted to do was change across to Kylie, thanks very much, who apparently can't get me out of her head. Sounds good to me.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:03 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by SL Boy
Mustard - I have driven SL 500s with standard 7 spoke and AMG 5 spoke. Wanted to see if AMG's were much firmer but there's hardly any difference - guess the ABC soaks it up.
Yes, its something I'd like to compare. I'd just promised myself to get standard alloys from now on, its the second bad experience I've had. Did you get the 5-spokes?

Did you get TV?

Spec changes! At this rate I'm going to start again.

Found a company (www.slroadster.com) that's selling SL500's below UK list with Feb delivery cars if anybody's interested.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:16 AM

Yes I have AMG 5 spokes on my SL55. Didnt choose TV Tuner as I am sure I would never use it and thought it added no value.

In fact I think my SL55 is perhaps underspecced compared to most others as the only extras I have gone for are Parktronic (mainly for the wife) and exclusive alpaca grey leather to go with the Jasper blue - but this doesnt worry me.