SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Radio intermittant need 'voice module' or relay.. help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Radio intermittant need 'voice module' or relay.. help!

The radio on my SL500 '03 is intermittent, it shows the station but the volume stops abruptly with no warning. Of course this effects the CD player, the NAV and the PHONE.

The stealer tells me it's a "voice module' or words to that effect and wants me to shell out $500 for it and $100 at least for the install.

Is there another place that at least discounts to some degree a part like this? Oh and where is this module located and how hard is it to install the bleeding thing?

Thanks in advance,

J T
Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by J Tinsby
The radio on my SL500 '03 is intermittent, it shows the station but the volume stops abruptly with no warning. Of course this effects the CD player, the NAV and the PHONE.

The stealer tells me it's a "voice module' or words to that effect and wants me to shell out $500 for it and $100 at least for the install.

Is there another place that at least discounts to some degree a part like this? Oh and where is this module located and how hard is it to install the bleeding thing?

Thanks in advance,

J T
You can look online from time to time and see if anyone has a voice module thats cheaper... Ive seen them turn up in the parts channel for a bit less: maybe $400 but not lower than that. the $100 installation price is actually pretty decent for a dealer: a bunch of rear panels and both storage bins have to come off just to get to it.

So a $600 bill isnt that bad considering its for an SL which is a more difficult car to get parts for as ell as to work on. On a side note if you dont mind losing voice control you can always just unplug the module and remove it from the loop. You will need to purchase a MOST coupler for a few dollars and couple the free ends of the MOST cable together but its by far the easiest and least expensive way to get your system working again.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Thanks

I spoke to the dealer who gave me the price the first time. Now the price is about $350 for the module. They were looking at the wrong year SL.

So I may just spring for it and make it right.

Thanks for your help.

J T