SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Leaving SL55 Unused for the Winter!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brabus SL55 K8
Leaving SL55 Unused for the Winter!

Hey Guys,
does anybody know if it would cause a problem to my car if it was left in a garage unused throughout the winter (about 3 months)
would things like the ABC suspension ect develop a problem, or will I be left with various problems afterwards?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
No problems just put battery tenders on the front and rear batteries.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
Originally Posted by Brabus SL
Hey Guys,
does anybody know if it would cause a problem to my car if it was left in a garage unused throughout the winter (about 3 months)
would things like the ABC suspension ect develop a problem, or will I be left with various problems afterwards?
Drive it on good and clean road days man , at least start it up go around the block or something. i had bad experience leaving my cars parked for too long . but i guess 2-3 months won't hurt !!!!!

Last edited by m4xm1l10n; 11-03-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by m4xm1l10n
Drive it on good and clean road days man , at least start it up go around the block or something. i had bad experience leaving my cars parked for too long . but i guess 2-3 months won't hurt !!!!!
Problem with that idea in the midwest is that once they put the salt down you don't want to drive until the spring rains wash it all away.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:21 AM

06 SL600
Besides the battery issue your tires can get flat spotted. Don't leave it on the tires without moving it. Either lift it onto jack stands or move it it every 3 weeks. Hope this helps.

Hey Guys,
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 E450 4Matic
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Problem with that idea in the midwest is that once they put the salt down you don't want to drive until the spring rains wash it all away.
Not really. They use LOTS of salt here in MA. It usually blows away when the road dries. Used to drive my black 05SL a few days a week in winter. Besides the tires getting hard, it ran well (denser air).

Fond memories now gone. I traded my latest SL for a S550 4Matic. no regrets
Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 PM

Brabus SL55 K8
SL Unused for the winter

Thanks guys, I have read much about storing a car for the winter months, I have read the following:
Dont start your car during the winter without driving it for at least a 20 mile run each month as the condensation will build up in the exhaust system and become acidic and distroy the exhaust from the inside out!
Some say park it up for the winter but do not start it at all (due to the problem previously mentioned) but raise the car off the ground and use stands, increase the air pressure in the tyres to 50psi, block the engine air intake and the exhaust pipes (to prevent critters making a home).
Some say, keep the aux battery charged, some say keep the main battery charged and some say keep both charged!
Some say a heated storage is best and some say non-heated storage is fine,
Some say fill the gas tank to the max and add petrol treatment, replace all oils with new oils as older oils take in moisture more easily than new oils.
Some say drive as normal as the ABC suspension can develop a fault if left for more than 3 months without use!
As you can see I am not realy sure which way to go!

Brabus SL

Trending Topics

Old 11-03-2008, 08:45 PM

06 SL600
I will put my SL600 (used to do it with my SL55) in the garage and take it for a spin every 2-3 weeks. No problems.

Thanks guys, I have read much about storing a car for the winter months, I have read the following:
Dont start your car during the winter without driving it for at least a 20 mile run each month as the condensation will build up in the exhaust system and become acidic and distroy the exhaust from the inside out!
Some say park it up for the winter but do not start it at all (due to the problem previously mentioned) but raise the car off the ground and use stands, increase the air pressure in the tyres to 50psi, block the engine air intake and the exhaust pipes (to prevent critters making a home).
Some say, keep the aux battery charged, some say keep the main battery charged and some say keep both charged!
Some say a heated storage is best and some say non-heated storage is fine,
Some say fill the gas tank to the max and add petrol treatment, replace all oils with new oils as older oils take in moisture more easily than new oils.
Some say drive as normal as the ABC suspension can develop a fault if left for more than 3 months without use!
As you can see I am not realy sure which way to go!

Brabus SL
Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 AM

MB Cars, LOL!
lol.... you will be fine. i basically garage mine for more than i take it out on the road. just never had time to play with it since its always raining... go get yourself from MB a trickle charger and you should be fine. i got an 05 r230 and up to date i've only put about 2.5k miles on it.