SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: I did something very stupid today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did something very stupid today!

Parked in my hospital MD parking as always. Just this time I went in too much. You know, there was these concrete stoppers or whatever we call em. The ones low down nailed to the blacktop. Well there was this scraaaape, but was in a hurry to run to the ICU and left it and ran.
Anyway, came back in awhile, forgot about it and reversed it out slowly. Only heard a Scraaape again. Stopped and got out to find the front bumper pulled out on the pass side with all the plastics under pulled away and cracked and hanging on that side. Also the AMG sport package mesh center panel on the bumper was popped out.
)(*&^&^%$$ !!!!!
Got on the tarmac and pushed all as best as I could and finished my day. Upset!
What will it cost to get by baby back in shape? Will insurance pay for it without a penalty?
Would love to hear, as I may not be the first bloke to do this.
The car is a 2006 SL500 with 12K, AMG sport and black.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
Originally Posted by Aviator
Parked in my hospital MD parking as always. Just this time I went in too much. You know, there was these concrete stoppers or whatever we call em. The ones low down nailed to the blacktop. Well there was this scraaaape, but was in a hurry to run to the ICU and left it and ran.
Anyway, came back in awhile, forgot about it and reversed it out slowly. Only heard a Scraaape again. Stopped and got out to find the front bumper pulled out on the pass side with all the plastics under pulled away and cracked and hanging on that side. Also the AMG sport package mesh center panel on the bumper was popped out.
)(*&^&^%$$ !!!!!
What will it cost to get by baby back in shape? Will insurance pay for it without a penalty?
Sorry that sucks but **** the Insurance pay out pocket and get that fix ASAP . That's what i would of done
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM

'08 SL55
)(*&^&^%$$ !!!!!
Insurance? LOL. Stop the panic, go to the dealer or shop and get it fixed.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:37 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
If they have to replace the bumper cover, figure on about 2000-2500 depending on how many other parts need to be replaced.

I hit a rabbit and cracked my bumper cover. When I found out what it would cost to fix, I decided to live with the crack since it was not very noticeable on the underside below the fog light.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 AM

03 SL500
Mine's cracked below the fog light also. I just took epoxy and glued the crack together. You can see it still, but if I decided to put touchup paint over the epoxy it would be virtually invisible.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Just this time I went in too much. You know....forgot about it and reversed it out slowly. Only heard a Scraaape again
Never go in too much...unless you really mean it either way be careful when you pull out...especially if you feel 'errr' I mean hear Scraaape something's wrong! lol
Old 04-30-2009, 05:33 PM

2007 S550 2009 SL550
Did we just change subjects?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 PM

SL 500
wow, sorry to hear. I had that happen on my CLK while back. Not fun at all. Cost wise, i would recommend calling your insurance and explain it to them.. pay your deductible and let the insurance pay for it. It will likely come out to $4K possible more. Just an estimate, it could be higher. Also, take it to MB bodyshop, the labor hourly is higher but quality will be OEM standards.

good luck..

amer
Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Raise the car

When parking if there is a doubt, raise the car, if you scrape on the way in raise it when you back out.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by StephenK
When parking if there is a doubt, raise the car, if you scrape on the way in raise it when you back out.
Yeah, really. I realized that as soon as it was done!
But good advice. You know how I feel.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by djamer
Cost wise, i would recommend calling your insurance and explain it to them.. pay your deductible and let the insurance pay for it. It will likely come out to $4K possible more. Just an estimate, it could be higher. Also, take it to MB bodyshop, the labor hourly is higher but quality will be OEM standards.
+1. Insurance is meant to deal with mistakes, ours or others'. Swallows up the cost of going to an MB body shop, and definitely that's worth it.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55AMG, SL600
Man I feel your pain sorry to hear this happened.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by djamer
wow, sorry to hear. I had that happen on my CLK while back. Not fun at all. Cost wise, i would recommend calling your insurance and explain it to them.. pay your deductible and let the insurance pay for it. It will likely come out to $4K possible more. Just an estimate, it could be higher. Also, take it to MB bodyshop, the labor hourly is higher but quality will be OEM standards.

good luck..

amer
Without seeing pictures of his car I would doubt that the repair costs would be $4,000. I had the 2008 performance package front end put on my SL55 and it was a major undertaking--- inside reinforcements, new inner fenders, fog lights, lower mesh, new grill, 34 parts in total. The complete cost was $4,500.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
parts add up quick...the bumper cover alone is is like 1600 or soemthing
Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 AM

Thanks guys, here is what happened.
One of my buddies took me to this wiz body guy who does and is trained in Germany for Mercs, BMW Audi etc. Knew his stuff cold. In 15 min he fixed it, replaced one screw. One screw. The small tear in the underside, he told me could be left alone. Best, he did it for nothing. Car is good as new and it was not even a patch up. Fixed.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:52 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
Thanks guys, here is what happened.
One of my buddies took me to this wiz body guy who does and is trained in Germany for Mercs, BMW Audi etc. Knew his stuff cold. In 15 min he fixed it, replaced one screw. One screw. The small tear in the underside, he told me could be left alone. Best, he did it for nothing. Car is good as new and it was not even a patch up. Fixed.
lucky for you i just saw a parked sl55 on Thursday with the entire lower section of the bumper, below the middle screen, missing entirely. i'm sure he wished he knew your body shop wiz friend!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Sunir
parts add up quick...the bumper cover alone is is like 1600 or soemthing
I doubt that very much since the performance package bumper is $1,250 list.