SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
If you're looking for cheap Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranties, don't forget to contact "Lisa" in this post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/3536786-post47.html

If you're from outside of Chico, CA, she sells the cheapest MB ELW's around...
Old 05-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 (SL550); 2009 SL550 (sold); '05 SL500 (sold)
Chokaay has given great advice on the MB ELW's, thanks. A few notes to consider:
1. As someone noted earlier, certain states charge sales tax so the trick is to find what states don't. Arizona is one of them;
2. I called MB of Arrowhead (AZ) and was given a great price by Dave in Finance (623-583-7200). No 15% penalty was charged for not originally buying the car from a MB dealership;
3. If you ever think you may sell the car (hard to believe) and want to terminate the ELW before the policy's expiration date, MB will pro-rate the refund based on time served and then will deduct the dollar amount of claims paid out under the policy. However, certain states don't allow MB to deduct the claims paid out and, again, Arizona is one of them.

Last edited by HSESL500MB; 05-27-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
I have the Easycare plan and took my 2003 SL500 in for an ABC leak at a MB dealer, who charged me $142 (not covered) just to look at the problem. They gave me a $5600 estimate to fix and called Easycare, who told the dealer they would only cover $42 of the bill, after I paid the $100 deductable. This was my first claim dealing with Easycare, also they were extremely rude on the phone when denying my claim. Buyer beware.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
My 2005 SL500 goes off-warranty in 4 months. I talked with my local MB dealership about an extended warranty last week. The sales manager said initially I didn't qualify for the Mercedes extended warranty (total BS, btw) and proceeded to start a sales-pitch for other aftermarket warranties. I cut him off, said if I couldn't get a Mercedes warranty from him, I'd go elsewhere.

He started doing the Olympic backstroke and said he'd contact Mercedes, make a "special case" for my car, and provided the prices. Standard pricing + 15%. Moral here is the profit margin on the aftermarket companies must be huge, as my dealer was pushing them by basically fabricating stories to steer me away from the Mercedes plan. No-doubt the Mercedes warranty is a profit generator, too.

IMHO, no extended warranty is a good financial choice for the consumer, but if the "peace of mind" thing is worth it for you, then the factory-backed warranty is the only worthwhile option. BTW, I'm still considering the factory option, but only if I can find a no-sales-tax, no-added-15% provider. I'll call a few of the folks listed above for this.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firemist Red SL500
Factory Extended Warranty

When I purchased my CPO SL500 ........
and knowing the extremely high costs of parts and labor for these beasts ......
I was advised by a good friend who deals wioth these sorts of things on a daily basis to get a GOOD Warranty program for the SL .......

and after haggling in my mind about this ......
and the high cost ........
I went with the Factory (Merc-Benz) Extended Warranty.

So far .........(and this indudes the first year which came with the "CPO")
they have replaced parts and labor we estimate to be worth about $4000.
Front Strut, AC compressor, and Dryer, Door "module" to work the top externally .. and leaking strut seals.

Not a hitch whatsoever. The dealer (Mercedes-Benz of Buckhead - Georgia)
could not have been any more accommodating and they were not the seller dealer to me !

Needless to say ..... My Bride (40 yrs in Sept) and I are glad we chose this Ext'd Warrty option.

Gotta get back to Bass Fishing.

Y'all play nicely now.

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA
Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by diablo2112
My 2005 SL500 goes off-warranty in 4 months. I talked with my local MB dealership about an extended warranty last week. The sales manager said initially I didn't qualify for the Mercedes extended warranty (total BS, btw) and proceeded to start a sales-pitch for other aftermarket warranties. I cut him off, said if I couldn't get a Mercedes warranty from him, I'd go elsewhere.
Seems like buying extended warranties is like buying cars -- go in with as much research as possible, and push them as hard as you would when buying a car. Kinda sucks that they sell them like they were profit engines instead of customer retention engines.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:28 AM

2006 SL 500
Daimler Chrysler Extended Warranty

After reading the threads on here concerning extended warranties and doing some price research myself I decided to purchase the above in the title. Michael Case was very informative as people have mentioned here and the price was right ($2935) compared to the Fidelity and MB Extended warranties. I got 5 years from today and 70K additional miles on my 2006 SL500 with 43000 miles on the odometer currently. Chrysler is out of bankruptcy and now has the backing of Fiat so I feel the warranty is solid. I'll let everyone know how it goes.