SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Brake Job - Just Rear ? Make Sense ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 Sports Package
Brake Job - Just Rear ? Make Sense ?

Hi:

I'm not real bright when it comes to cars. I am having my brakes done and was told the rear wheels need to be replaced but the front have a little more life. ( the car has 48K miles )

I'm wondering if this is Ok ? That is replace the brakes on 1/2 the car at a time ?

Also apparently brake jobs are fairly expensive with the SL just wondering if $700 sounds right for the rear brakes ? Apparently with my SL you never just replace the pads it's always the rotors as well.

Sorry for being such a NOOB about this. I'm paranoid whenever I get my car worked on after I had the shifter problem where I could not get the car out of park and it cost me 1K and a tow to the dealership.

thanks
mark
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
No problem for the front and rear brakes to be replaced separately.

There's only a few mm difference between the thickness of new rotors and the minimum allowed but you should feel free to ask the dealer what rotor thickness they measured and how it compares to the minimum. If you are above the minimum you could choose to delay replacing the rotors.

I don't what's a good price for brake service but $700 for anything on a Benz doesn't sound ridiculous.

HTH.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 PM

2004 SL 600 & 2006 CLS
It's okay to just replace the fronts or rears themselves. Normally though you'll wear through two sets of front pads for one set of rears, so just needing the rears is unusual. Although I understand that some cars with their traction aids will go thru rears first - Aston Martins seem to do this alot.

Can't know for sure about needing rotors though without seeing them. It's very common (i.e. profitable) for the shops to want to replace them, but it isn't always necessary. Rear rotors with only 48,000 miles maybe too soon. Are there grooves on the surface? Is there a pronounced lip running around the edge of the rotor to indicate wear?

$700 for pads and rotors?? Sounds high. Might shop around. Call an independent. I just bought pads for the front of a 2006 CLS 500 (wife's car) for only $100 from Tire Rack. Rear pads should be cheaper. Front rotors are fine. Dealer even agreed. Car has only 30,000 miles. Fronts take most of the abuse.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 AM

04 MBZ SL500
I too have had only the back brakes done so far. The cruise control uses the rear brakes for speed control(down hill) is my understanding of the accelerated wear. everything is engineered so well that it is a bear to own financially.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM

2007 SL550
Makes perfect sense, Gsqrd. Never thought of it -- I've noticed the brake application on the cruise control, but it never occurred to me to consider the consequences.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firemist Red SL500
Thumbs up Brake Pad Replacments

You won't get this done at a dealer.

But the SMART thing is to buy AKEBONO Ceramic Pads.

And stop cleaning your wheels every week. Due to black brake dust.
Besides..they stop better.

Available off the web.

AKEBOBO themselves invented the CERAMIC pad technologies.

They now are a LARGE supplier to car manufacturers.

If you decide to do this .... don't try and cut corners and get another brand . It is not worth it.

I have 4 cars with AKEBONO's on them. Would not ever have anything else stopping my cars.

Good go ..... Largemouth Bass are calling.

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA

Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
Thanks for this recommendation. My SL500 and 335i make brake dust in copious amounts; anything to reduce the mess is appreciated.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 AM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
probably the ABS

Your SL has an open diff. If you put your foot in it at all the thing stopping the inside wheel from spinning is the traction/stability control. The SL being a rwd can mean extra wear on the rear rotors. The quaife LSD is great and might help a bit as it will spread the driving force between the two rear wheels instead of forcing the rear brakes to do it. That and the new p-zero's or PS2's and you will not brake traction in the dry. Interesting if the cruise control can apply the brakes. I wasn't aware that was the case.