SL/R230: Pewter Sl 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Pewter Sl 55

Could someone post PIC's Of A PEWTER sl55 ? I would love to see the Color!!!

Thanxs
Old 02-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 E420
Here's Pewter silver SL500 (Sorry my family cannot afford SL55, but should give you a good idea about the color ).

Most the time it looks a little gold-ish, but at certain lighting it look silverish.

Stone 2-tone leather match quite nicely with pewter. Excuse the mess in there.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:52 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55
Thanks a lot!!
Old 02-12-2003, 11:06 PM

I posted these before, but here ya go... pewter sl500 with sport package

Old 02-14-2003, 04:04 AM

The first Pewter/Stone SL looks sooooooo very elegant,especially with the wood wheel (I may be a little bias).

I think Pewter and any interior color will be a very popular choice,and a nice change from Brilliant Silver!!
Old 02-14-2003, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Seems to me pewter is more than usually sensitive to the climate you live in.

If you have bright sunshine most of the time, lie CA, FL or Oz, it's probably OK but in more northern climates such as here in the UK, it reminds me too much of the sky colour we live with for months of the year. Sorry to say it, but a pewter car would give me the winter blues year round.

If I was buying again, I would probably go for Jasper (Orion Blue in the US). I'm the first to admit there are too many Brilliant Silver cars around, it's an easy, too-safe choice.

Last edited by blueSL; 02-14-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:45 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Japer with Berry Red Interior?

Wouldn't you have to forego the berry red interior if you went with Jasper (Orion Blue) though?
Old 02-15-2003, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Yes I would, and I'm not sure whether I would go for light or dark grey but it's slightly academic. After a just-for-fun 100 miles today, this car's going to be around for a while. Sooooo good.

One issue of the berry red is that in our winter overcast light, it looks brown through the tinted windows. I had one person ask "silver I can understand but brown seats?" Opening the door reveals the true colour, but the green glass takes out some of the red I think. I'm still very happy with the colour though.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:18 PM

black = pimp as always
Old 02-15-2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by AMG4life
black = pimp as always
Agree, Black has the most pimp factor. THat was my first choice, but my other car is black.

Old 02-19-2003, 06:28 PM

powter is one of the better looking colors. after the silver and black
Old 03-09-2003, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

into things
I agree Pewter Silver Metallic is better than Brilliant Silver or Black.
It looks good on my C320. My 2003 ML500 looks rather boring with brilliant silver.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,025 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally posted by brianhn1
I agree Pewter Silver Metallic is better than Brilliant Silver or Black.
It looks good on my C320. My 2003 ML500 looks rather boring with brilliant silver.
Originally I ordered the SL55 in pewter because the color looked really nice on the ridicuously tiny color patch in the brochure and because I wanted a have a color that was more practical than black.

Silver was too common for my taste, but I wanted to see a pewter car "in the flesh". Luck had it that a european delivery pewter/ash SL500 with a sport package showed up at the dealer and I compared it with a black and agean blue next to it.

Bottom line, I changed my order to obsidian black because for the SL it was simply to plain looking and too uneventful.

Especially in that combo with ash, there was just no contrast. Not to put down pewter; the SL just looks better in other colors, including the Silver.

Color and design just go together...
For example, I really liked the previous SL in desert silver/java because it had a contrasting softtop and had a classic convertible look to it. Looking at the new SL in desert silver, I don't like it at all. Go figure

My 2 cents...

Wolfman
Old 03-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm still waiting for a car that looks bad in black
guess what color i like! Thats right. Black!
Old 03-13-2003, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by Wolfman
Originally I ordered the SL55 in pewter because the color looked really nice on the ridicuously tiny color patch in the brochure and because I wanted a have a color that was more practical than black.

Silver was too common for my taste, but I wanted to see a pewter car "in the flesh". Luck had it that a european delivery pewter/ash SL500 with a sport package showed up at the dealer and I compared it with a black and agean blue next to it.

Bottom line, I changed my order to obsidian black because for the SL it was simply to plain looking and too uneventful.

Especially in that combo with ash, there was just no contrast. Not to put down pewter; the SL just looks better in other colors, including the Silver.

Color and design just go together...
For example, I really liked the previous SL in desert silver/java because it had a contrasting softtop and had a classic convertible look to it. Looking at the new SL in desert silver, I don't like it at all. Go figure

My 2 cents...

Wolfman
What fool would order such a dead combination as pewter and grey? Talk about no taste whatsoever. I saw a dessert silver on the road recently and it looked good for that type of color, IMO. I hate metallic paints because they lack shine. Silver is out of the question for me because it looks too "friendly", almost giving the SL a chick car appeal. But it still baffles me why Mercedes doesn;t want to offer Java on the SL. I wonder what is the problem. That is the best "beige" interior they have developed. I agree totally with you on the whole contrasting issue. When I look at all these black on charcoal SL's, it gives the car a drab and boring look. Definitely not a head turner. On any convertible there needs to be a sharp contrast between the interior/exterior.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,025 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally posted by internet_mafia
What fool would order such a dead combination as pewter and grey? Talk about no taste whatsoever. I saw a dessert silver on the road recently and it looked good for that type of color, IMO. I hate metallic paints because they lack shine. Silver is out of the question for me because it looks too "friendly", almost giving the SL a chick car appeal. But it still baffles me why Mercedes doesn;t want to offer Java on the SL. I wonder what is the problem. That is the best "beige" interior they have developed. I agree totally with you on the whole contrasting issue. When I look at all these black on charcoal SL's, it gives the car a drab and boring look. Definitely not a head turner. On any convertible there needs to be a sharp contrast between the interior/exterior.
I believe that the stone interior is about the same as the java; haven't seen them side by side to see if they are identical, but they are close.

Had Java in a black CL500 with special order burlwood instead of the chestnut and it looked awesome!
While I love the interior for a convertible I was concerned about the road dirt that get sucked into the car when driving top down. It's just easier to wipe off a dark interior without worrying about stains.

Wolfman
Old 03-13-2003, 04:30 PM

There is no similarity between Stone and Java, trust me, I've seen them in person together. The java, being a richer color, luminates the interior of the S/CL class, but stone is too light. It'll be a matter of months before discoloration occurs. If they offer stone, they might as well offer Java.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:49 PM

The problem is that MB deleted two colors from their color palate and replaced them with one.

They got rid of Java and Quartz (mushroom/beige color even lighter than Stone) and replaced them with a color that is kind of in the middle-Stone.

I loved Java on some cars and not others. On some models that color was great like in the SL, S and E Classes and on others like the ML it seemed too yellow.

When I chose my interior color with Pewter for my E Class I went for Stone,a better contrast with the brownish tinge of Pewter than the blueish tone of Ash.

If I was fortunate enought to have an SL, I would probably go for Charcoal with Pewter is it is a little less elegant and more sporty,in keeping with the style of the car.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:52 PM

Here in the US, Java is still offered on the S/CL. It doesn't make sense to have such a small palette for a $100k car. However, the much cheeper C and CLK have just about every kind of color you can think of.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:19 PM

2005 E55 Wagon
Pewter with berry; for me it's the only way to fly. The contrast is quite striking in a handsome sort of way. The car "seems" to be more stealthy to passersby in the parking lot (except people who really know what it is) and, apparently, to the police as well. I bought this car for me and me alone so I did not want a color that said "HERE I AM" but was still elegant. To each his own. In the defense of more extroverted colors, I came close at one point to ordering magma red with berry; I just didn't want all the attention .
Old 03-14-2003, 05:10 PM

flinstones
that is a SWEEEET color
Old 03-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Fast_Bubba
I came close at one point to ordering magma red with berry; I just didn't want all the attention .
We had to decide between Magma Red with berry also or Black with Ash, guess which we chose?

Something about a clean black car that just makes me sing my heart out!