SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Do you use your SL500 as a daily commuter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 11:40 PM
TCI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you use your SL500 as a daily commuter

Just wondering what your thoughts are on using the SL500 as a daily commuter. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2003, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
There's no problem using the SL as a daily driver, plus you get the bonus of being able to lower the roof on those perfect glad-to-be-alive mornings. The car is docile in traffic plus there are lots of toys to play with while you're waiting for the stop light to change. Keep in mind though that you are more conspicuous stuck in traffic with the roof down, you might like the extra attention you get (especially if she's blonde), on the other hand you might not.

The issue is where you can leave the car during the day. The SL is vulnerable to side damage from the doors of other cars, there are no side rubbing strips to protect your car from other people's carelessness. The problem is, they really do not give a damn...

If you can leave your car somewhere where it's not going to be damaged, it's not a problem, but you do not want to be looking out of the window every five minutes to see if anyone is denting your pride and joy.

I don't commute any more but still use my SL600 in preference to my SL55 if I do not know whare I am going to be leaving it.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:28 PM

2005 E55 Wagon
Bought my SL55 to use it. I take it to work 4 of the 7 days of the week. I do have controlled parking with other drivers with high line vehicles. I do occasionally like to live vicariously as I stop at the grocery store on the way home for a few minutes. Although I am very careful where I park, it is just sitting in the parking lot (THE HORROR). It is amazing how little attention it gets as it's the only one for now in the Mobile, AL, area. Anyway, I've had no problems thusfar and plan to continue enjoying my commute. I would agree with BlueSL that you should not take the car and leave it in an unprotected environment all day.

Last edited by Fast_Bubba; 04-28-2003 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Not me, but my dad uses it everyday, but recently he's been taking the lexus. Thats good and bad for me. The lexus i know will die soon and then i won't have a car, I either get stuck with the SL or the Odyssey. The Odyssey we're selling in a year and the SL, I just don't want it this early at an age. If i hide the key so the lexus though i'm pretty sure he'll take the SL. He takes it all the time.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:24 AM

2003 SL 500
naw - not everyday. The mileage will depreciate that baby. Plus you have lots of jerks that will put dings in your doors. I always double park mine I drive it about twice a week, but not to work. I use my BMW to work.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:24 AM

2003 SL 500
naw - not everyday. The mileage will depreciate that baby. Plus you have lots of jerks that will put dings in your doors. I always double park mine I drive it about twice a week, but not to work. I use my BMW to work.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:25 AM

2003 SL 500
sorry about the double post - don't know how that happend.

Mods, please feel free to delete one of the post.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:50 PM

2005 E55 Wagon
Sadly, I've found that you get keyed more often and intentionally dinged if you take two spaces or park far out. That's been my experience anyway. I've found it useful to find a parking spot with just one other next to it and park as far to the other side as possible. I appreciate the need to not put miles on the car for many, but this is one of the few times of the day outside of home where I get a chance to relax and have some fun. That's the reason I leased the car; I'll never exceed the lease limits, and if I decide to keep it (if it proves reliable) then who cares about the milage. Everyone has different agendas when purchasing cars, but few will ever reach the collectible status of an original 300SL
in the numbers they are producing now. Maybe those purchasers like me will increase the value of others' cars by decreasing the supply of gently used cars down the road. This is the reason I chose not to collect cars; I wouldn't be able to stop driving the ones that I shouldn't. For what ever reason you bought your cars, enjoy them (even if you just look at them); life's too short.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
yea....my dad takes it out everyday, becuz its a driveable car for evreyday use, AND ITS POWERFUL!