SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Carrying Bicycle on SL500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 09:11 PM
pdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carrying Bicycle on SL500?

I'm in the queue for an SL500. One thing I have found no answer to is whether there is any reasonable way to carry a bicycle on one. It would be very nice to bring one along at times on short trips. My old Saab had a towing hitch that I could mount a rear carrier to. I would hate (as in wouldn't) use one of those that could destroy the finish mounting on. Surely there is someone who has figured this one out?

Thanks from a new member.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:12 PM

Re: Carrying Bicycle on SL500?

Originally posted by pdx
I'm in the queue for an SL500. One thing I have found no answer to is whether there is any reasonable way to carry a bicycle on one. It would be very nice to bring one along at times on short trips. My old Saab had a towing hitch that I could mount a rear carrier to. I would hate (as in wouldn't) use one of those that could destroy the finish mounting on. Surely there is someone who has figured this one out?

Thanks from a new member.

A bicycle rack on the SL is about as tacky as putting on one of those jacks used to carry boats and trailers. It's your car, but I cannot see the point in driving an open top cruiser only to get out of it to ride a bike. I suggest leaving the bike rack for your less desireable cars.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:03 PM

ML 500 Sport
They sell one in Germany but it is not listed in the US
Here is link to MB/DE showing accessories

SL Extras DE
Old 05-14-2003, 02:02 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
If I recall correctly the bike rack offered in Germany requires some additional bracing for the folding hardtop which may or may not be available after production. It does affect the appearance of the car even when the bike rack is not in place.

I would suggest a better alternative is to go with the tow attached rack. I got one years ago and they simply attach to the back of your vehicle and can hold at least two bikes. I assume your local UHaul dealer should be able to attach a towing connection to any vehicle including the SL. Make sure the tongue weight is equal to the weight of your rack and the bikes. As to source you might start with Whitney catalogue, the RV accessory catalogues such as the one put out by Camperworld, or an upscale bike shop.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:51 PM
pdx

Thanks. The tow attached one is probably the right answer assuming I can find a hitch that is removable or sufficiently unobtrusive.

As to the "why do it at all" - if my wife has the Jeep (which is where we would normally haul the roadbikes) and I want to breeze out into the countryside on a nice day to go riding, combining the drive top down in the SL with a ride through the country is a hard combo to beat. The alternative is to give my wife the SL for the day! Why would I want to do that?
Old 05-17-2003, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
There's a factory option "Roof Rack Prep" which includes two fixing points at the top of the A pillars and two more half way along the rear side windows. Northbenz is correct, the mounts are clearly visible when the rack is removed.

As you can see from the picture, you can then mount the rack and whatever you like on top. It's about as aerodynamic as a house brick but it gets away from the problem of the roof not supporting the weight and it also looks as though you can open and close the roof with it on.

It's a better solution than hitching a trailer to the car, even if that can be done.

Last edited by blueSL; 05-17-2003 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:23 PM

Sams has the hitch attached rack available

Noticed at my local Sams club that they had a Schwinn hitch attached bike rack available for less that $200. It is designed to also accomodate skiis and will hold up to 3 bikes. It fits either size of standard hitch.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by blueSL

As you can see from the picture, you can then mount the rack and whatever you like on top. It's about as aerodynamic as a house brick but it gets away from the problem of the roof not supporting the weight and it also looks as though you can open and close the roof with it on.
I don't think you can raise and lower the roof with the mount intact. When the top deploys, it lifts up and then rolls to the rear. The roof will collide with the rack's support rails. Anybody daring enough to prove me wrong?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:09 PM

I think you are wrong.

If you look carefully you will see that the extra suppot from the factory actually extends outward from the folding roof and is attached at the front fixed pillar and to a solid body piece in the rear. Accordingly without the bikes on it there should be no problem folding the roof. (In fact it looks like the bikes could remain on the rack as long as they remain at the same plane as the rack.) If I am wrong then the mounting bracket would have to be easilly removeable as otherwise no one would buy an SL with it. This does look like an ingenious piece of Mercedes engineering and would make your SL unique from every one else's.

Last edited by northbenz; 05-18-2003 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:08 PM

With the rack in place, how would the roof "land" onto the pillar? There is not enough clearance. Think about it. When the roof raises, it extends way above the roof line and falls onto the pillar. The same can be said when the roof is stowed into the trunk. It lifts up (coliding into the rack) and then procedes to fall into the trunk.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
WAIT....y would u wanna put a bike on such a gorgous car like an sl?