SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Change Time using Instrument Cluster (COMAND Removed)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL 500
Change Time using Instrument Cluster (COMAND Removed)

Hello,

I need some help.

I had COMAND removed from my car (2004 SL 500) and replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT (which I'm thrilled about by the way).

Now I cannot set the clock on the dashboard.

I took the car to two different places that have the Star Diagnosis System and they cannot find the option to enable controlling the clock through the Instrument Cluster.

Can anyone tell me if this option is available and how to enable it?
What menu do they have to go to to enable that option using the SDS computer?

Thank you.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
The answer was posted about 2 months ago. I forget who, but thanks. Disconnect your batteries and reconnect at 12:00 noon. Bingo! Clock is now correct! I had the same problem and it works perfectly.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:18 AM

2004 SL 500
Originally Posted by BMS
The answer was posted about 2 months ago. I forget who, but thanks. Disconnect your batteries and reconnect at 12:00 noon. Bingo! Clock is now correct! I had the same problem and it works perfectly.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I was looking for the actual menu links to navigate to using the Mercedes computer to program the car to enable controlling the clock through the Instrument Cluster.

I believe I read somewhere (perhaps in the same posting you're referring to) that it is possible and if the operator knows what they're doing they should be able to figure it out. Unfortunatelly the person I took it to was not able to find the correct menu options to enable this feature and gave up.

My dealer doesn't want to do it because I had COMAND removed and I installed an aftermarket unit.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
When you have COMAND the NAV menu is on, and the cluster is told to 'Time Sync with head unit'.

Dealer needs to put Star Diagnosis on the car, go to Instrument Cluster -> Control unit adaptations and then set Navigation to 'Not Present'

That will remove the NAV menu, and hopefully re-enable the time menus.

I have seen occasions where it didnt re-enable the time menu, and then I used 'developer mode' (which dealer does not have) to re-enable it, but if it doesn work, I suggest dealer looks in the individual Key preference settings (also in the cluster coding) (there are 3 of them), and if 'Time Sync with Head unit' is there, turns all 3 of them to OFF and resets the cluster.

They can also set TEL and Audio to Not Present to remove the TEL and Audio menus if they are now useless with the head unit change.

Cheers

RIchard
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 AM

2004 SL 500
Originally Posted by Richard
When you have COMAND the NAV menu is on, and the cluster is told to 'Time Sync with head unit'.

Dealer needs to put Star Diagnosis on the car, go to Instrument Cluster -> Control unit adaptations and then set Navigation to 'Not Present'

That will remove the NAV menu, and hopefully re-enable the time menus.

I have seen occasions where it didnt re-enable the time menu, and then I used 'developer mode' (which dealer does not have) to re-enable it, but if it doesn work, I suggest dealer looks in the individual Key preference settings (also in the cluster coding) (there are 3 of them), and if 'Time Sync with Head unit' is there, turns all 3 of them to OFF and resets the cluster.

They can also set TEL and Audio to Not Present to remove the TEL and Audio menus if they are now useless with the head unit change.

Cheers

RIchard
Hi Richard, thank you very much for the information.

Indeed, I had NAV turned off and it did not re-enable the time menu.

I will have them look in the Individual Key Preference settings (I assume that's a menu option, right?) and see if they find that option to turn it off. You mentioned there are 3 options. Do you know what the options are? I'm sorry, these people seem to be very limited in their knowledge and I seem to have to do the research myself to do this.
If that doesn't work though, what is "Developer Mode" and how do I access it?

Does anyone know anyone in the Los Angeles area that would know how to do this?

Thank you. At least I know it's possible, now I have to find someone that can do it
Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Originally Posted by xtianpel
You mentioned there are 3 options.
Theres 1 option, but there are 3 keys worth of settings. If you have 'key depencancy' turned on, keys 1 and 2 are what is assigned to your 2 keys, if its off it uses the key 3 settings.

The key settings are in the same coding menu structure ...

Developer mode can not be done by the Mercedes dealers .. only a very serious independant can do that ..

R
Old 04-25-2011, 05:54 PM

2004 SL 500
Thank you so very much Richard. This is invaluable information since nobody around here seems to know any of this.

I appreciate it very much. I will let you know once I can contact someone that can make these changes for me to see how things went.

Once again, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply with this info.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 PM

2004 SL 500
Originally Posted by Richard
I suggest dealer looks in the individual Key preference settings (also in the cluster coding) (there are 3 of them), and if 'Time Sync with Head unit' is there, turns all 3 of them to OFF and resets the cluster.
Hi Richard,

Unfortunately, we accessed the menu you described and "Time Sync with Head Unit" was not there, so we could not turn it off.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you again.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 AM

2004 sl500
2004 SL500 Command replacement

Hi,
I just purchased a 2004 sl500 and am thinking about swatting out the command with a 'super-duper' pioneer system that includes touch screen navigation, blue tooth, ipod, upgraded sound and speakers and possibly a rear license plate-positioned camera. Are you happy with your new system. Is anyone concerned about my doing this given the use of aftermarket parts. Will this of apparatus potentially be harmful to the battery systems or overall electronics of the car. The outfit that does this has been around for 30 yrs and works on very high-end cars (eg, Ferrari, Lambos etc).
Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM

Hi Richard, thank you very much for the information.

Indeed, I had NAV turned off and it did not re-enable the time menu.

I will have them look in the Individual Key Preference settings (I assume that's a menu option, right?) and see if they find that option to turn it off. You mentioned there are 3 options. Do you know what the options are? I'm sorry, these people seem to be very limited in their knowledge and I seem to have to do the research myself to do this.
If that doesn't work though, what is "Developer Mode" and how do I access it?

Does anyone know anyone in the Los Angeles area that would know how to do this?

Thank you. At least I know it's possible, now I have to find someone that can do it
I went through this months ago. With an 04 there is no way tondo it by the menu or diagnostic. Unless it was a later 04 that has the 05 command.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 AM

2004 sl500
Thanks. What about a top flight iphone/ipod bluetooth apparatus?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:27 AM

2004 SL 500
Originally Posted by Tonydoc55
Hi,
I just purchased a 2004 sl500 and am thinking about swatting out the command with a 'super-duper' pioneer system that includes touch screen navigation, blue tooth, ipod, upgraded sound and speakers and possibly a rear license plate-positioned camera. Are you happy with your new system. Is anyone concerned about my doing this given the use of aftermarket parts. Will this of apparatus potentially be harmful to the battery systems or overall electronics of the car. The outfit that does this has been around for 30 yrs and works on very high-end cars (eg, Ferrari, Lambos etc).
Thanks
I'm very happy with my setup. It's the Pioneer Z130BT. Here's a link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-Z130BT
They also installed the rear-view camera.
They made it so that I even retained Steering Wheel functionality.

If you're in the Los Angeles area I can recommend the people who did it for me, Pacific Stereo in Woodland Hills, 818-610-1000, ask for Steve.

Good luck! It's worth the money.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 AM

2004 SL 500
Originally Posted by jmejones
I went through this months ago. With an 04 there is no way to do it by the menu or diagnostic. Unless it was a later 04 that has the 05 command.
That's really dissapointing.
There's really no other alternative than to disconnect the battery and reconnect it at Midnight or Noon then, huh? That seems so ridiculous, but oh well.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 SL500
Can you post a pictures showing how the Pioneer unit looks in the space the command center use to be. How did they deal with the curved corners?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 PM

2004 sl500
I'm very happy with my setup. It's the Pioneer Z130BT. Here's a link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-Z130BT
They also installed the rear-view camera.
They made it so that I even retained Steering Wheel functionality.

If you're in the Los Angeles area I can recommend the people who did it for me, Pacific Stereo in Woodland Hills, 818-610-1000, ask for Steve.

Good luck! It's worth the money.
Thanks for the info. I have read some pretty scary assessments about this Pioneer unit, including inferior sound quality, incredible delays with ipod, blue tooth and navigation functionalities. Have you experienced any of these untoward events? Did you have any concerns about the set-up adversely affecting other electronic/non-electronic components? Lastly, what was your final tab after all was said and done. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 PM

2004 SL 500
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot
Can you post a pictures showing how the Pioneer unit looks in the space the command center use to be. How did they deal with the curved corners?
I will in the next few days.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 PM

2004 SL 500
Originally Posted by Tonydoc55
Thanks for the info. I have read some pretty scary assessments about this Pioneer unit, including inferior sound quality, incredible delays with ipod, blue tooth and navigation functionalities. Have you experienced any of these untoward events? Did you have any concerns about the set-up adversely affecting other electronic/non-electronic components? Lastly, what was your final tab after all was said and done. Thanks for the feedback.
I cannot say I've experienced anything negative.

The whole setup was about $3,200, including the XM Tuner, Rear View Camera, Amp, Steering Wheel Controls, and, of course, the unit itself.

I'm loving it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz 430 CLK
If I may, did you look at the Kenwood 9980HD to compare? Will the Pioneer Z130BT reroute you around traffic automatically?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 AM

2004 SL600, 2006 Range Rover SC
Originally Posted by khybs
If I may, did you look at the Kenwood 9980HD to compare? Will the Pioneer Z130BT reroute you around traffic automatically?
If you check the link that was posted, it indicates that is has "Intelligent Re-Route".

I have a 2004 SL600, so I'd like to see the pic of the unit installed, too. I'm hesitant to disturb the dash and I have read that installing a later COMAND is a huge pain in the ***.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM

2004 SL 500
Here are some pictures as I promised...

Last edited by xtianpel; 05-11-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 PM

2004 SL 500
I did and based on the features I went with the Pioneer.
Yes, it will reroute you.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 SL500
You are fortunate to have an audio installer that knew what they were doing. Where did you get the frame that fits the look and feel of the Command opening?

Nice job.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 PM

2004 SL 500
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot
You are fortunate to have an audio installer that knew what they were doing. Where did you get the frame that fits the look and feel of the Command opening?

Nice job.
Steve from Pacific Stereo in Woodland Hills 818-610-1000 custom made it.

Thank you! Yes, I was very lucky. He's a great guy.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:45 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz 430 CLK
Steve from Pacific Stereo in Woodland Hills 818-610-1000 custom made it.

Thank you! Yes, I was very lucky. He's a great guy.
That looks fantastic! I've been looking around my area (Anaheim Hills) for a place where I could play with a Pioneer demo unit in the store but I can't seem to find it. Where did you get to play with the head unit before going ahead with the install? If I have to come to LA to do this and have the install, I will given yours looks great!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:54 PM

2004 SL 500
That looks fantastic! I've been looking around my area (Anaheim Hills) for a place where I could play with a Pioneer demo unit in the store but I can't seem to find it. Where did you get to play with the head unit before going ahead with the install? If I have to come to LA to do this and have the install, I will given yours looks great!
I didn't get to play with it before proceeding with the installation. I was sold by reading about the features and I was not disappointed after the installation.

I'd be happy to show it to you in my car. Send me a private message with your phone if you're interested and I'll call you to chat or maybe do a Skype (or FaceTime if you have an iPhone), I can show it to you remotely.

I'm telling you I'm loving it, and Steve is awesome. I wouldn't trust my car to anyone else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Change Time using Instrument Cluster (COMAND Removed)