SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Multicontour seat not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 AMG C63S Coupe, Kawasaki ZX10R
Question Multicontour seat not working

I just noticed that my left multicontour seat don't work. None of the functions work, and the red light for the PULSE don't turn on. The passenger seat works ok.

I can't find any fuses for the seats. Anyone have any ideas what to look for to fix this?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 SL500, 2014 E350
I just got my car a week ago. Yesterday both of my contour seats stopped working at the same time. There are fuses in the engine bay you may want to check. They are on both sides of the car for the respective seats.

I check my fuses and they were OK. My Pulse light comes and seats move forward/backward etc., but no lumbar/bolster/massaging action.

There must be something else going on.

Hopefully somebody here will chime in that knows more.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 MBZ SL500
vacummn line in seat pinched

same problem(massage/lumbar) failure. fixed by dealer for 900$(forgiven as i rose a stink that the MB xtd warranty excluded this)
Old 06-24-2011, 04:14 PM

2004 SL500, 2014 E350
Originally Posted by Gsqrd
same problem(massage/lumbar) failure. fixed by dealer for 900$(forgiven as i rose a stink that the MB xtd warranty excluded this)
I thought I read in other threads that the PSE pump also does the door locks and soft close trunk. Both of those are working for me. So the pump must be working, correct?

Now it could be the hose is pinched or broke, I was going to look at that. aside from that any other ideas??

Thanks for the help.

-Jim
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 PM

2004 SL500, 2014 E350
Originally Posted by jjsaustin
I thought I read in other threads that the PSE pump also does the door locks and soft close trunk. Both of those are working for me. So the pump must be working, correct?

Now it could be the hose is pinched or broke, I was going to look at that. aside from that any other ideas??

Thanks for the help.

-Jim
So it appears that my seats are working again. I reset the PSE pump by pulling the fuse for the PSE pump (#72) and re-inserting it.

I wish they were all going to be that easy

-Jim
The following users liked this post:
Mssidah (02-08-2020)
Old 06-25-2011, 01:03 PM

2004 SL500, 2014 E350
So it appears that my seats are working again. I reset the PSE pump by pulling the fuse for the PSE pump (#72) and re-inserting it.

-Jim

Well I guess it wasn't that easy. It stopped working again today according to my wife. She had the vent and the massage going on both seats and then it quit. I am going to reset it again and tell her not to use the vent for a while and see if it makes any difference

I will post any updates.

-Jim
Old 06-25-2011, 02:50 PM

There are fuses in the engine bay you may want to check. They are on both sides of the car for the respective seats.
Do you have the number for the fuse(s) by any chance? I have the fuse chart here, but I can't find any fuses for the seats.

Trending Topics

Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 PM

2004 SL500, 2014 E350
Originally Posted by Tobby
Do you have the number for the fuse(s) by any chance? I have the fuse chart here, but I can't find any fuses for the seats.
Drivers side F9/F27
Passenger F41/F42

PSE pump was 71 or 72. Pulling that and resetting it initially did the trick for me.

See attached fuse map

Good Luck,

-Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R230FuseMap.pdf (481.6 KB, 4834 views)
Skalasheh (12-14-2019)
Old 06-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Thank you Jim. Unfortunately it wasn't the fuse(s). My problem is a little different. Right seat: Everything works ok. Left seat: The vent work, but not the massage, lumbar etc. It's all dead. No reaction when I use the controls, and the red light for the massage do not turn on. At the right seat you can hear the the pump(?) turns on, at the left seat no sound at all.

I don't know what to check for, maybe each seat have their own control unit or something?

Last edited by Tobby; 06-27-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 PM

sl600
See https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...justments.html . Although mine was both sides, someone replied that only their driver seat went out.

Originally Posted by Tobby
Thank you Jim. Unfortunately it wasn't the fuse(s). My problem is a little different. Right seat: Everything works ok. Left seat: The vent work, but not the massage, lumbar etc. It's all dead. No reaction when I use the controls, and the red light for the massage do not turn on. At the right seat you can hear the the pump(?) turns on, at the left seat no sound at all.

It don't know what to check for, maybe each seat have their own control unit or something?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 AM

2002 SL55 AMG
Hi
I have a similar problem that I am strugeling to solve so any help would be appreciated?
None of the massage functions on either of my seats work?
all the switch gear works and I have tested all the air bladders for leaks (all working and none leaking) checked the PSE Pump and all is well, checked the main air lines and again all is well but still the seats won't work??
I had the car plugged into Star and it said Drivers side seat bolster and lower lumbar were leaking so couldn't test!! I have checked these manualy with an air line and they are fine where do I go from here? again I don't wan't to spend a fortune with Mercedes to test what I have already tested.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM

2004 SL500, 2014 E350
My problem is all over the map. For the first week or so everything worked fine.

Then both seats stopped working (massage function and manual air bladder adjustments). Then I reset the PSE pump (by pulling the fuse) and it worked again for a day.

Then the driver seat stopped working (supposedly the passenger seat kept working if I believe my wife and son). The massage light would come on, but no movement in the air bladders (manually or otherwise). Eventually both seats stopped working and both lights did not light.

Reset the PSE pump again, this time the driver seat seems to work fine (massage light, manual adjust, and massaging). The passenger seat will not massage, the lite does not light up, but I can manually adjust the air bladders.

How absurd is that!

I hope this is covered by my warranty!

Any other ideas to try?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:49 AM

2002 SL55 AMG
The problems surely have to be relating to the electrical interface between the seats and the pump? most likely the circuit board on the pump?
On mine the pump operates everything its supposed to except the seat functions, the pump operates both door locks, boot lock center consol and rear storage box locks and the massage/lumbar sections of the seats.
There is nothing else between the seats and the pump.
The pump has a fairly complicated PCB and I have come to the conclusion that this is the component at fault (this may also explain weird codes thrown up on diagnostics).
Old 06-30-2011, 01:33 PM

In my case the right seat allways work, but the left do not work. I have checked the tubes, but cannot find any damages to them. I don't know if each seat have their own control unit, but I think it must be something electrical who causes this. Everything else the pump serves in the car works fine.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 AM

2002 SL55 AMG
When you press the buttons on your left seat can you hear anything? only reason is that inside each seat there is a control module and if your right seat works and your left seat doesn't then this is most likely where the problem in your case lies.
To access this module: undo the two screws at the base of the back seat covers (dont remove the covers) then undo the two screws securing the seat back in place.
Then slide the seat back downwards and remove.
You should then see the module with all the pipes going to and from it.
If you press the buttons and hear no "clicks" then this is almost certainly the faulty part.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM

No, I can't hear anything so I think your'e right. Thanks for the info. I' ve found a seat module at eBay so I have to access the module to check the part number.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 PM

mercedes benz e500

-Jim
Where is the fuse for the Pre pump
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55, SLK55, 86 911 Carrera, 88 944 Turbo S, RANGE ROVER HSE
Hey guys....in my 2003 SL55, my driver seat multi contour / massage controls do not work. I do hear clicks coming from the seat when pressing the buttons, but no action...If I press the PULSE button, the light comes on for a moment then goes out...no action.
The Passenger seat works flawlessly....I removed the PSE fuse....or the one I believe to be the correct one, anyway....and no change.....any ideas?
Mssidah (02-08-2020)
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 PM

UPDATE: Looking under the seat, there is a main air hose with a rubber cap on it so air won't escape(I took the cap off and air came out)...a splitter that the hose was once fitted to with one tip bare and another with a piece of hose pinched off on it...I can see the rest of the hose under the seat...I just don't know what went to the bare tip...Does anyone have a diagram that shows the plumbing of this? If I can get these hoses reconnected properly, I'll be in business...
It appears the mechanics of the power seat pinched the hose in two and someone capped off the air supply to eliminate the hiss of the flowing air....any help is appreciated...I will continue to search the web for a shop manual perhaps.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:32 PM

Final: A 6" piece of vacuum hose from NAPA fixed the problem...It fit over the stiff air line going under the seat, and connected to the splitter that the air supply connected to...Everything works...I'm sure this is an older thread and many on it may not follow this thread any longer, but I figure this may help someone like me one day...happy driving
Old 04-21-2016, 10:41 AM

2004 SL 500 2002 Vovo S80 T6
This seems to be a familiar problem for R230 owners

Originally Posted by ccus911
Final: A 6" piece of vacuum hose from NAPA fixed the problem...It fit over the stiff air line going under the seat, and connected to the splitter that the air supply connected to...Everything works...I'm sure this is an older thread and many on it may not follow this thread any longer, but I figure this may help someone like me one day...happy driving

I had the drivers seat out to replace the seat cover and have the seats redyed and I am familiar with much of the tubing. I will go back and check mine to see if I can find any of these hoses disconnected. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 AM

Mercedes Benz SL500 2002
How do I look under the seat? I have the same problem as ccus911: pulse light goes on, goes off after a few seconds and no massage. Also, I hear clicking sounds when I press buttons on the control unit on the chair.