SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Which year to buy 2003, 2004, or 2005?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which year to buy 2003, 2004, or 2005?

I am looking to buy a used SL500 - I have located three low mile cars (all under 30K) in my area, all priced within a few thousand of each other. One is an '03, one '04 and the third is an '05. Other than the 7 speed transmission strating in '04, is there any advantage/disadvantage one year over another?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM

2014 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by skidgllfs
I am looking to buy a used SL500 - I have located three low mile cars (all under 30K) in my area, all priced within a few thousand of each other. One is an '03, one '04 and the third is an '05. Other than the 7 speed transmission strating in '04, is there any advantage/disadvantage one year over another?
If you must get the 2005, I have the 2003 only put 18k on it in over 6 1/2 yrs. bought from dealer 2yrs old, 16k worth of warranty work ABC problems, CD changer, batttery power loss, airmatic rodeo, gas tank replaced, motor mounts replaced and I never dogged this auto, have four other benzs, stay away from 03 can't drive in winter if on east coast and snow. three months a year ride.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM

2009 SL550
Originally Posted by la22bay
If you must get the 2005, I have the 2003 only put 18k on it in over 6 1/2 yrs. bought from dealer 2yrs old, 16k worth of warranty work ABC problems, CD changer, batttery power loss, airmatic rodeo, gas tank replaced, motor mounts replaced and I never dogged this auto, have four other benzs, stay away from 03 can't drive in winter if on east coast and snow. three months a year ride.
18k miles and all that work done?
"discouraging', to say the least ......
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 3rd coupe!
SL's on a whole are a hit or miss thing. Some folks have all the problems listed above and some folks will knock on wood that they have none! So there are two things you can do: Keep a full warranty and cross your fingers and hope you get a good one! :-)
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 AM

SL55
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl500
2005 is a must. nevertheless it had a few modifications, MOST, etc.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CL550, 2005 SL500, 1984 380SL 1985 Mustang GT
purchase a good extended warranty. I have a 2005 with 30,000 miles and its going back in the shop yet again. when it gets out its getting sold. once one thing gets fixed its time for it to go back in the shop!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 2005 ML500 SE, 2005 CLK500 Cabriolet Avantgarde
Of course the newer the model year, the better decision. I'm not sure about your budget. But I am sure you could even sneak in an '07 into your budget at the current depreciation rate.

Like any other car, the SL of any year and any flavor has its problems. The SL is not an easy car to own without a warranty or DIY skills. It's like a Hollywood girlfriend. You love her, but you gotta keep up with the manicures and pedicures and silicone ..... (Sorry ladies. Couldn't resist going there). Are you going to be working on the car yourself or would you be relying on the dealer?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
SL R230

Be careful. A high percentage of these cars can have transmission problems. Mb have been aware since 1996 that they have had difficulties with the 722.6 transmission. I have just concluded a case against MB Agent whic took 7 years and I eventually proved that the difficulty I had with my SL 350 was of their making, not as they stated that I had touched the automatic transmission shift. I had 3 other car owners with similar problems who gave evidence in my favour. A high percentage when you consider that only approx 60 of these are imported into Irelsnd each year. This so called reputable Compsny used every trick in the book to try and beat me. They even attempted to interfer with one of my witnesses , swore false affidavits arising from which I applied to have the Directors of the Compsny put in jail for concealing documents about my car after they had sworn that they had no other documents about my car. It was a long snd difficult case and it has taught me nor important lesson ie keep away from Mercedes!! So to conclude be wary before buying an SL because if you experience that loss of power proble m it is quite scary- my. I've and I had a very close shave in one such experience. Be careful.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
SL 350

My advice is keep away from them. I have just ended up after a 7 year case against MB agent for a new SL 350 which caused me a lot of grief. They tried to convince me that I was touching the automatic stick shift and thus causing the car to diwnshift when all along, as I was able to prove, that they have known of the difficulty with the 722.6 transmission since 1996. I won my case but believe me I was up against th bedtime con artists - they were found to be concealing documents concerning my car and even tried to tamper with one of my witnesses. So my friends that s what you are dealing with. If you want any more background on this you are welcome to contact me. I will be publishing this decision of my case later for people to see.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Philip317
My advice is keep away from them. I have just ended up after a 7 year case against MB agent for a new SL 350 which caused me a lot of grief. They tried to convince me that I was touching the automatic stick shift and thus causing the car to diwnshift when all along, as I was able to prove, that they have known of the difficulty with the 722.6 transmission since 1996. I won my case but believe me I was up against th bedtime con artists - they were found to be concealing documents concerning my car and even tried to tamper with one of my witnesses. So my friends that s what you are dealing with. If you want any more background on this you are welcome to contact me. I will be publishing this decision of my case later for people to see.
I assume that you are not in the US with a reference to a 230/350 model, so I am not sure how relevant this is to a US SL500.

SL's are great cars and simply the best convertibles around. As mentioned by other posters, getting a newer year (recommend an 07, but definitely 05 or newer) with extra budget for warranty/repairs.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 AM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
SL 350 -R230

Hi Wolfman

Yes I am not in US - in Ireland in fact

The car I had the difficulty was an SL 350 but the important point is the type of transmission that was involved. Mine , in the 350 was 722.6 and I'm advised by my expert that. 1 in every 3 of these cars have transmission difficulties. My expert say that the problem can manifest itself through a leak in a pilot bushing on the transmission and by capillary action the oil makes its way " uphill". Into the ECU and then the erratic problem begins. It can be intermittent and hence unexpected and therein lies th problem as you don't know when to expect the power loss next. Behind the scenes then , I am again advised by my expert, that MB , without telling their customers, changed this bushing when the car came in for servicing and how the servicing agent would know when to change the bushing was by its colour. The colour of the unit would indicate when it was changed and would then be replaced with a modified unit. I agree that when tthese cars move they are a joy to drive but on the other hand is the price one has to pay with potential fatal repercussions simply too high a price. What I can't accept is why has this reputable Compsny, knowing that this problem has exited since 1996 attempted to hide it. Obviously thr motive is driven by cost and financial greed but all that has to happen here is that someone will get seriously hurt if not killed and then that will have another ' ford Pinto' fallout. My 3 witnesses (in my case) all being SL 350 owners had each a hair raising experience with their car. One guy described overtaking a row of vehicles then being confronted with an oncoming truck and not being able to accelerate through a total loss of power. He barely escaped with his life. I had a similar experience. Sorry for going on about this but I feel very strongly that this organisation are putting people's lives on the line in the interests of sheer greed while blaming the alleged incompetence of the driver when they know all along that they are to blame. It is simply criminal. All I can cay is keep safe snd be vigilant because as the bible says: you know not the day nor the hour!!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Philip317
Hi Wolfman

Yes I am not in US - in Ireland in fact

The car I had the difficulty was an SL 350 but the important point is the type of transmission that was involved. Mine , in the 350 was 722.6 and I'm advised by my expert that. 1 in every 3 of these cars have transmission difficulties. My expert say that the problem can manifest itself through a leak in a pilot bushing on the transmission and by capillary action the oil makes its way " uphill". Into the ECU and then the erratic problem begins. It can be intermittent and hence unexpected and therein lies th problem as you don't know when to expect the power loss next. Behind the scenes then , I am again advised by my expert, that MB , without telling their customers, changed this bushing when the car came in for servicing and how the servicing agent would know when to change the bushing was by its colour. The colour of the unit would indicate when it was changed and would then be replaced with a modified unit. I agree that when tthese cars move they are a joy to drive but on the other hand is the price one has to pay with potential fatal repercussions simply too high a price. What I can't accept is why has this reputable Compsny, knowing that this problem has exited since 1996 attempted to hide it. Obviously thr motive is driven by cost and financial greed but all that has to happen here is that someone will get seriously hurt if not killed and then that will have another ' ford Pinto' fallout. My 3 witnesses (in my case) all being SL 350 owners had each a hair raising experience with their car. One guy described overtaking a row of vehicles then being confronted with an oncoming truck and not being able to accelerate through a total loss of power. He barely escaped with his life. I had a similar experience. Sorry for going on about this but I feel very strongly that this organisation are putting people's lives on the line in the interests of sheer greed while blaming the alleged incompetence of the driver when they know all along that they are to blame. It is simply criminal. All I can cay is keep safe snd be vigilant because as the bible says: you know not the day nor the hour!!
Understood.

I know that in the past (not sure about these days), European Mercedes warranties were ridiculously short (2 years) with lots of limitations and exclusions and have heard horror stories of how customers were treated when it came to drivetrain issues.
By default, much was denied and the burden of proof was with the buyer.

I have had my own issues with Mercedes dealers in Germany and Switzerland and it took calls to MB direct to override them. For me, the problem was at the dealer level though, not MB itself...

The US is the largest market for SL's in the world, the base warranty longer and more inclusive and more important, the legal framework is more consumer friendly (i.e. lemon laws).

Re. MB making changes while the car is in service is rather normal, like software updates, recall actions, etc. I consider that a good thing.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
Thats good to hear you have good protection in US.

What worries me is that, whereas I agree that is good practice that they monitor and update software in their vehicles, the main problem is not being fixed ie. the fact that this loss f power problem has been known by them since 1996 and that hthey continue to hide it, while those vehicles continue to be potential death traps.
The concealment and arrogance is what annoys the hell out of me while blaming the driver for what they clearly know is a problem of THEIR making!!!

Keep safe