SL/R230: New To The Board - SL55 On Order

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 BMW M5
Talking New To The Board - SL55 On Order

Good Morning Chaps

Well let me introduce myself - The names Mark - I am A Britt and have been in the US for 7 years or so.

So i figured it was time to get into my first MB.

At 6'5 i am generally not happy in any car - i am curretly in a 2000 M5 and with some on the fly "mods" i manage to fit.

But low and behold i fit like a glove in the new SL - infact i have always been happier in the cabin of a Benz than anything else but never got round to driving one off the lot

I am a car nut and am totally in to "road therapy" as such i have managed to find a 93 Lexus SC 300 STICK, a 98 Lex gs400 and now my newest arrival the M5. I ahve also owned a few bikes here and there but am most happy with my K12 right now

Sure i will miss the 6 speed in the SL but it doesnt really bother me - and i figured that i should have a convertible as everyone should have at least one in their life time and the new 6 series does nothing for me so SL it is!!!

I was wondering what advice you veterans of the MB world would give a newbee like me? What are the service and delaership woes - or is it jsut the same as everywhere else - just dont tell me its the same or Worse than BMW!!!
What are the special programs offered to owners... etc

I have also started to notice various issues on the SL55 regarding engin trouble.. I am sure i dont have to worry but i was wandering what u could tell me. R there any specific bits that i should ignore or go after when finalising the order for the car. naturally my dealer has NO IDEA what the car will be offered with - other than the specs in the SL book but i would rather hear info fomr u lads than my dodgy dealer..

Of course, these are brand new cars and as shuch there wont be any ownership issues as yet but i am all ears - i will gladly listen to any and all MB advice - fire away

Thanks chaps - i lookforward to eharing from u soon

see u out there

Mark
Old 03-13-2002, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Hi mark, welcome. You asked:

"What are the special programs offered to owners... etc "

Other than buying an extended warranty past the 4 year/50k miles that is it. MBZ has had free scheduled maintenance on new cars since 2000 model year. BMW had free maintenance prior to MBZ adopting it.

This Sunday, March 17, 2002, American Service Center in Arlington, VA will host their 2003 SL500 debut with a champayne bunch from 12 to 3. I will be there - Just look for the guy with the biggest smirk on his face - I just received my 2002 E55.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:34 AM

500 SEC
Mark,

Welcome to the family! (MB family that is, may you enjoy the SL for many, many years to come, and miles)

I had issue with the FIT also however my 500 SEC (1984 with over 500,000 miles) is great as the seat moves back so far that I would not be able to depress the brake if I put it all the way there.

Join the MBZ club in your area. They have great get togeathers and some good stuff with the dealerships in the areas. (if you need discounts this is the best way to go)

Your chapter has some great functions and a nice membership base. I think they have a ralley planned for the summer.

Maybe we will see you in TEXAS for ours!
Old 03-13-2002, 04:20 PM

2000 BMW M5
Thumbs up Nice to meet u chaps

Afternoon Chaps

Thank u all so much for the warm welcome..

I know my SL is a while away but the more i get to know the MB lads the more at home i will feel when i finally jump into it!!

I have one more question - I am a member of BMW CCA - car club of America - is there a similar MB club - do they offer similar membership discounts on parts and new cars as the BMW club does.

Does a national MB club even exist????

thanks again chaps.

Mark
Old 03-13-2002, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Jimmy Hill:
At 6'5 i am generally not happy in any car - i am curretly in a 2000 M5 and with some on the fly "mods" i manage to fit.
Mark, welcome to this forum.

I sat my 6'2" frame into the the new SL500 and the decision was: Not for me, just too small!

I made a mistake last year when I bought a 2001 SL500. It lasted only 3 months and 3,000 miles till traded it for a car that "fits". The new SL seems to have the same legroom dimensions as the old model. For trips over 1 hour it is just not comfortable for my frame,- seatback just doesn't go back far enough to be comfortable.

Mark, you may want to take a test drive first!
Old 03-13-2002, 07:22 PM

SL55. GT40
Welecome

When we first moved to DC area, I actual went around and interviewed the dealers and salesman (we had been spoiled in Florida). I was amazed at how differeent they were, and it is amazing how some know notheing about what they sell (actually this is most). They generally are Toyota sales people in more expensive suits.

As to the benifits, this area is competitive. The price will not vary much but the perks will. My wife (she buys the M-B's) is treated like "royalty". When ever one of her cars is in for service they go over with it and look for potential problems. The other perk is ability to take the lastest "toy" for extended tests.

Good Luck, by the way my sales guy had about 95% of the information avaliable when I placed the order for my SL55, big question is it built in August or September.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

JayT, check a few other posts The SL55 and the kompressor engine has received a major setback in productiion and delivery of cars. The rumor has it that all SL55 have been sent back to AMG for modification or fixing a problem. The car was getting horrible gas milege. One guy (Lucas) on this board who lives in EU and ordered a SL55 reports that the cars had been sent back. There is also very little information and hard facts on the E55k with the kompressor and that time frame is way in the future. The wait is on.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:37 PM

2000 BMW M5
Thumbs up More thanks from the Newbe

Well chaps - once again many thanks for your warm welcome to this board - i am sure we will have lots to talk about as more Sl's appear on the roads. I LOOK FORWARD

So let me say a few words to each of u that have been so kind to me

E55 Kev -
Congrats on your new baby - i thought, however that 23 miles was a bit high for delivery miles - my M5 had less about 4 miles totaly and most of those miles we between the drop of point in Sout Carolina to the Performance center. Did u ever ask - or is anything under 50 considdered a good thing?
I would love to see a 2002 E-55 i live in G.town and would happily come out to say hi - have u been in an M5? - I am sure we could both come up with some intresting comparasons on our beasts.

Ski Guru -
I have been in the US for 7 years now and the friendliest people i have ever met were in Texas when my brother and i wandered around Dallas, and Garland for a week or so - we were invited to dinner simply because we were brits - My X is from San Antonio and sooner or later i will go visit her as a "friend" cause i would love to see the area - so many lovely drives to be had.
BTW - u mentioned the MB car club - i have not been able to find any refrence to it. U wouldn't have any contact info would u - r u a member of the Texas club??? - can i sign up on line etc???

Karl - K
Even though we are only a couple of inches in height appart from one another i guess its where the height is - i am relatively proportional - so i am jsut a bigger fit in the car ie just a bigger version of the average size, if u know what i mean. A lady friend of mine has a 99 SL500 and i could only dirve it for short distances espically with the top up. But when i got in the New SL - my driving position was just right - i was very happy - there was even an inch or so of head room and the wheel tilted just high enough for my knees to fit under it. But u r totally rigth - my delaer has promised me a ride in the new SL when they have one on the floor to play with - i have pleanty of time - but i will push for an Extended drive - a good 30-40 miles or so - if he doesnt like it i will go somewhere else. But thanks for the tip

Jay T-
I am most intrested to know about your delaership and service experiences in the DC area. I went from 2 lexus to a BMW - i was exceptionally well treated with my Lexi when i lived in boston. I got to DC and as expected the local dealerships didnt care one bit - one even told me to ignore my first service (1200miles) cause they couldnt fit me in -What idiots. AS luck would have it a friend of mine from out of town moved to take a position as a master menchanic at one fo the local dealers - he is the only guy who even touches my car and i cant praise him enough - the rest of his team are fantastic as well - i guess they know that i wont take any crap form them so they look after me. Which delarship did u go to for your order - i would very much like to get more info on the car if possible???

Well thanks again lads

Happy driving - thanks for the great welcome

Talk to u soon

Mark
Old 03-16-2002, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

JimmyHill, what would you imply from 23 miles? Are you implying that the car is used? 23 miles raises no question for me. Why would you compare your M5's 4 delivery miles to mine anyway? 23 miles just means the car was test driven before by other customers or the sale guys had a little fun going to McDonalds for lunch. Who cares - I purchased a new car, one of only two on the entire East Coast configured the way I wanted it.

No one could buy it drive home and return it and only have 23 miles. 23 miles is only 19 more miles than you M5 had. What is the big deal with questioning the 23 miles? This car came from a New Jersey Dealer and sold to me by a dealer on Maryland's Eastern Shore and delivered to my home. Even if I had purchased one locally with 4 miles on it like your M5, drove it home and back to the dealer to return it - 30 mile round trip. Your mileage concerns are not reasonable.

My E55 was built and delivered to the states in 2001 and been in dealer stock for months before my salesmand located it and I purchased it. Due to current market conditions E55's are not selling quickly on the East Coast. I know of one in stock since August 2001.

Bloke, don't expect 4 miles on the SL55 you ordered!

Last edited by E55 KEV; 03-16-2002 at 12:15 PM.