SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Auto folding sideview mirrors on 04 SL 500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto folding sideview mirrors on 04 SL 500

My car was shipped with the mirrors folded and they didn't unfold automatically when I put the car in drive... I had to just manually unfold the mirrors this morning..

Wasn't this feature going to be available as a standard option on 04 SLs. I called my sales rep and he said that maybe this is not a standard feature on the 04 SL.. and it may only be standard on the S class (he contradicted his statement made to me when he was training me on features on the phone yesterday)...

Can anyone with an 04 SL comment on this... Also how many of you guys use the teleaid feature.. I got it turned on, but now have been told that there is a per minute charge to use it.. No charge on my lexus (other than an annual fee)...

I finally drove the car.. its fantastic.... love the ride.. I cant tell what the 7 speed is buying me... im still trying to figure out all the widgetry.. wish MB gets some ideas from Lexus on how to make the User Interfce experience more intuitive.. MB should be the leader not the follower....
Old 01-05-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine aren't automatic nor was it an option with my '04.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Auto folding sideview mirrors on 04 SL 500

Originally posted by pdxxer

Can anyone with an 04 SL comment on this... Also how many of you guys use the teleaid feature.. I got it turned on, but now have been told that there is a per minute charge to use it.. No charge on my lexus (other than an annual fee)...
You get 30 minutes ( I believe ) free airtime when you use it. If you do go over the 30 minutes ( which most likely won't happen ), then you get charged by the minute...forgot the charge. First year is free of charge, after that, they send you a letter asking you if you want to re-sign or not.

-G-

As for the folding mirrors, I don't think they're auto-fold? We have a S500 and they don't auto-fold or open when in drive...
Old 01-05-2004, 05:41 PM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT

My car was shipped with the mirrors folded and they didn't unfold automatically when I put the car in drive... I had to just manually unfold the mirrors this morning..

Wasn't this feature going to be available as a standard option on 04 SLs. I called my sales rep and he said that maybe this is not a standard feature on the 04 SL.. and it may only be standard on the S class (he contradicted his statement made to me when he was training me on features on the phone yesterday)...

I finally drove the car.. its fantastic.... love the ride.. I cant tell what the 7 speed is buying me... im still trying to figure out all the widgetry.. wish MB gets some ideas from Lexus on how to make the User Interfce experience more intuitive.. MB should be the leader not the follower....
Hi, folding mirrors are optional only for Europe. For 2004 model, if you have that option, when you open or close your car, they fold automaticly.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:02 AM

2002 C230K
they dont fold on our '04, or didnt while we were in germany. we'll ask our mechanic about that when the car actually gets here. as far as tele-aid goes, subscription is free for the first year and you get 30 minutes free of use, but you are required to do the 30 minutes of "training" otherwise you cant use it. and there is a per minute charge for actually calling in. if it's an emergency and it activates automatically, it's no charge.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by dswildfire
they dont fold on our '04, or didnt while we were in germany. we'll ask our mechanic about that when the car actually gets here. as far as tele-aid goes, subscription is free for the first year and you get 30 minutes free of use, but you are required to do the 30 minutes of "training" otherwise you cant use it. and there is a per minute charge for actually calling in. if it's an emergency and it activates automatically, it's no charge.
By "training", do you mean the setup call? Cuz when we picked up our S, the salesman sat in the car with us and hit the SOS button to connect us with Tele-Aid. From there, we setup our account, phone numbers, passwords, etc...that's the only time we've ever used it and it took about 5-10 minutes.

-G-
Old 01-06-2004, 06:54 AM

BMW 535d Touring

Wasn't this feature going to be available as a standard option on 04 SLs.
As Cone says, it an option in Europe.

Most people wouldn't want it as a permanent feature, simply because many European garages (such as mine) are so narrow, they need the mirrors folded after Drive or Reverse is selected until they clear the garage and/or other car. Its the same with many narrow car parks here.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
In the US market, only the S and as an option on the ML are the folding mirrors available. I don't think the autofold feature is available on either of those cars, for the US at least.

Someone who has a US spec car in the W211 E Class forum has retrofitted the Euro spec folding mirrors on his car, with good results. I think the mod was relatively easy, and was not too expensive. And, I think it includes a mod to the computer to allow for the autofold feature, if I am not mistaken.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E550 Cabriolet/19 SL550
I don't have autofold on my 04 built in Sept 03
Old 01-08-2004, 02:10 PM

2002 C230K
Originally posted by GDawgC220
By "training", do you mean the setup call? Cuz when we picked up our S, the salesman sat in the car with us and hit the SOS button to connect us with Tele-Aid. From there, we setup our account, phone numbers, passwords, etc...that's the only time we've ever used it and it took about 5-10 minutes.

-G-
yeah, that's the stuff. we were told at the kundencenter that it would take half an hour. oh well. we'll see when the car clears customs. it's currently sitting in port.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Does anyone know how/where to add the power folding feature to the mirros on the 04' SL 500 or how much it costs?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
The thread on the E-Class forum was inconclusive about price.

See https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...s&pagenumber=1

PM'ing MBenzNL would be your best bet. A tutorial on how to install them was posted on here at one time, but I think we lost that post in the forum downtime fiasco.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:05 AM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Originally posted by alewifebp
The thread on the E-Class forum was inconclusive about price.

See https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...s&pagenumber=1

PM'ing MBenzNL would be your best bet. A tutorial on how to install them was posted on here at one time, but I think we lost that post in the forum downtime fiasco.
Hi, I had a SL 350 2003 with folding mirrors, they fold pressing a button in the central console, I tryed to update as 2004, with autofolding when open or close the car, it was impossibe because my hardware doesn´t support this function, I sold my Sl350 and I bought a new SL 500 (on order) you have an option in the cluster menu asking you if you want autofold on open /lock or not. If you wish you can see it in the on line interactive owners manual ( english ) in the german page www.mercedes-benz.de