SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sl65, SL600 RENNtech, Verde Ithaca LP640, 3 highly modified Panteras, Maserati Biturbo, 300D turtle
Coolant leak

Was enjoying a great ride in my 05 SL600 after passing smog test, along PCH through Huntington Beach, Newport CA, etc, enjoying the day, smokin an orange M3 along the way, then got home and a couple hours later saw crying leak of coolant on the drivers side front. Not much, maybe 1/2 cup or so came out on the ground, confirmed by looking at the fluid level. Took off the plastic at the bottom so I could look under, and I believe it may be this three pipe unit as shown in the photos. Anyone know what that unit is and if it may be an easy fix? I didn't look real close to see where it goes, but on each side of the car it is bolted down to the frame. I would have to take off the side plastic shield on the side to see where the pipes go, maybe tomorrow. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak-leakdriverssidefrontlores.jpg   Coolant leak-img_1506lores.jpg  

Last edited by Jan T; 04-06-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 747 Likes on 728 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
from first pic, looks like actual leak comes from above...
Old 04-05-2015, 01:48 AM

Sl65, SL600 RENNtech, Verde Ithaca LP640, 3 highly modified Panteras, Maserati Biturbo, 300D turtle
Originally Posted by MJ50
from first pic, looks like actual leak comes from above...
I wondered that too, but looked pretty clean above for any hose leaks or anything. I will see if I can slip a mirror behind there tomorrow. Or may just need to let it run a bit and then take a look while it leaks. But I did notice something a little odd that day in that the temp gauge didn't go past 80 for a bit, and at the time I thought that was unusual, because after 10 minutes or so, I am always past 80. Didn't think anything about it at the time, but I now I remember that was out of the norm on my car anyway. Makes me now wonder if the radiator thermostat may be on that passenger side and is acting up and leaking. I suppose I need to see if I can look with a mirror, or how to remove more plastic. Had the water pump replaced about 6 mo ago, so it isn't that, and that is in a different area too.

Last edited by Jan T; 04-05-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:53 PM

After looking further, you are right, leak is coming from above, in the plastic to plastic connector as shown in the photo. I felt around by the hose in that area to be sure it was not coming from there, but the hose to plastic connection was dry. So in this plastic to plastic connection, maybe there is a gasket inside that needs replacing? I wonder if the smog test guys knocked that area, for instance looking at timing or something, or maybe it is just coincidental the leak just happened later after doing smog test.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak-leakattopplasticconnectorlores.jpg  

Last edited by Jan T; 04-06-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jan T
After looking further, you are right, leak is coming from above, in the plastic to plastic connector as shown in the photo. I felt around by the hose in that area to be sure it was not coming from there, but the hose to plastic connection was dry. So in this plastic to plastic connection, maybe there is a gasket inside that needs replacing? I wonder if the smog test guys knocked that area, for instance looking at timing or something, or maybe it is just coincidental the leak just happened later after doing smog test.
could be just a seal...
check EPC for parts...
Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by MJ50
could be just a seal...
check EPC for parts...
Thanks, but I am more into exotics not that familiar with MBZ yet. Who is EPC, or website link? I wonder how that plastic part comes on and off. Looks like there is a metal clip on it, maybe needing a special tool?
Old 04-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
Thanks, but I am more into exotics not that familiar with MBZ yet. Who is EPC, or website link? I wonder how that plastic part comes on and off. Looks like there is a metal clip on it, maybe needing a special tool?
http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc
you can register for free
enter VIN and search for parts...
Old 04-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the EPC referral. As you said, it is probably the seal, which is what Fletcher Jones replied to as well ($7), but the parts department wasn't sure how to get the radiator hose/plastic unit on and off the radiator. To mee it seems like there is some clip there, but not sure if that is holding it on or not. Maybe the hose/plastic unit just screws on. I will see if I can find a good photo of one and see what it looks like inside.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:01 PM

Still wondering how the upper hose disconnects and connects. Seems like maybe it slips on and then there is a metal clip around 1/2 of the plastic (see photo of bottom hose, but it is the same set up as the upper hose). Just not sure how to get it off and then on again. Going to pick up the $7 seal tomorrow that I suppose sits inside the unit.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak-img_1533.jpg  
Old 04-10-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
See attached parts diagram from the EPC. The part that you most likely will pickup is #75 which is an O-Ring. The complete hose is shown below. Looks like the only fastener holding the hose secure to the radiator is that metal horse shoe clip you referred to. Obviously, the o-ring does the sealing rather than a hose clamp.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Coolant Hoses '05 Sl600.pdf (120.2 KB, 496 views)
Old 04-11-2015, 04:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 SL65
These connectors appear to be very similar to the ones used on my 996 turbo. Yes just remove the clip and pull off, or that is what suppose to happen. In reality these came sometimes be very difficult to remove.
I had some that came right off and others would not. I would drain the system, remove the clip and soak with PB blaster overnight then attempt to remove.
If it were me I would purchase the complete hose, clip and oring just in case.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by TTtodd
These connectors appear to be very similar to the ones used on my 996 turbo. Yes just remove the clip and pull off, or that is what suppose to happen. In reality these came sometimes be very difficult to remove.
I had some that came right off and others would not. I would drain the system, remove the clip and soak with PB blaster overnight then attempt to remove.
If it were me I would purchase the complete hose, clip and oring just in case.
Thanks guys. Yes, I googled how to remove the hose on mercedes, SL, etc and nothing showed up, but searched in general and step by step showed up for Beamers, pretty much the same hose type. Anyway, purchased the seal yesterday, spent 2 hours trying to remove the hose in that small place to work scratching up my arms, uncliping and pushing the hose with a screwdriver, etc., and then gave up and drove it to Fetcher. That place in Newport is friendly as it comes, unbelievable customer service, friendly staff. 180 was the estimate to pressure test and put the seal on. 15 minutes after getting it there, the tech had the seal on, pressure tested and found it now does need the hose as well, on order for Monday. I guess some things are just worth taking in, paying the bucks, and fagetaboutit. I find most things that seem simple, in reality just ain't. But how else do you learn unless you give it a shot. My dad always said, "why pay someone else to F it up when you can F it up yourself". As we know, shops can screw up cars even worse, but in this case anyway, Fletcher Jones seems like a good shop, and they wanted me to see the pressure test. But downside is $7 seal will now be more on hose and labor, but they offer free coffee, etc too. When I go back I will suggest even better customer service with free massage booth.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL500R, 500SL, C230, 560SL, 450SL, 450SLC, 300CD.
Thanks guys. Yes, I googled how to remove the hose on mercedes, SL, etc and nothing showed up, but searched in general and step by step showed up for Beamers, pretty much the same hose type. Anyway, purchased the seal yesterday, spent 2 hours trying to remove the hose in that small place to work scratching up my arms, uncliping and pushing the hose with a screwdriver, etc., and then gave up and drove it to Fetcher. That place in Newport is friendly as it comes, unbelievable customer service, friendly staff. 180 was the estimate to pressure test and put the seal on. 15 minutes after getting it there, the tech had the seal on, pressure tested and found it now does need the hose as well, on order for Monday. I guess some things are just worth taking in, paying the bucks, and fagetaboutit. I find most things that seem simple, in reality just ain't. But how else do you learn unless you give it a shot. My dad always said, "why pay someone else to F it up when you can F it up yourself". As we know, shops can screw up cars even worse, but in this case anyway, Fletcher Jones seems like a good shop, and they wanted me to see the pressure test. But downside is $7 seal will now be more on hose and labor, but they offer free coffee, etc too. When I go back I will suggest even better customer service with free massage booth.
Totally agree with you in regard to FJ in Newport Beach.

Cheers.

Last edited by Leester; 04-11-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: missed word.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 PM

WTF, first seal, then hose, now radiator, now bankrupt. Seems the hose was cracked and the radiator too after they got the new hose on and pressure tested again. Makes me wonder with cheap plastic parts, if larger wheels & lowered cars jar our cars more and thus more prone to stuff breaking. At least it looks cool in the shop.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 SL65
I was going to mention the radiator but didn't want to jinx your project.

Common failure on many different manufactures that use the plastic pipes and plastic radiator end tanks. They are also easy to damage when tring to remove the pipe from the radiator.

There are all aluminum aftermarket replacements available for the porsches.
Might want to search and see if that is true for the MB as well.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:24 AM

Just had Fletcher finish the job with new radiator, and no leak now. I was curious as to what the radiator leak looked like, so had the tech show me the old radiator; however we could not see any crack in the area he said it was leaking. But he said when pressure testing then it leaked. Thought it was odd not to see any defect visually on the plastic, but maybe that's the way it is with radiators. Glad I have my 1972 Panteras with all aluminum radiators and aluminum hose connections, no plastic crap. Good old 40 year old philosophy.