SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: I'm Stumped!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 mercedes benz SL500
I'm Stumped!!!

I purchased a SL55 AMG with 74K miles last January. Car was maintained pretty well and is in excellent condition. I have been turning wrenches for 50 years and maintain my own vehicles except for rebuilding transmissions. I leave that up to the pros. I changed the motor oil last weekend and drove to Vegas and back 500 miles round trip with no issues. I drained the transmission, put the fluid in a gallon container, marked the amount with a sharpie. I removed the pan and found what seemed to be the original transmission fluid. Looked bad and smelled bad, but no signs of excessive particles. Service records indicated "no" service to the transmission. I put the new filter and fresh transmission fluid with the same amount I had previously removed. At this point I decided to do a complete flush after watching a YouTube Video. Seemed simple enough. With my son's help, I proceeded to remove the lower transmission line that goes to the radiator, fired the engine and nothing came out of the transmission. So I reinstalled the lower line and removed the upper line. Same thing, after firing the engine nothing came out. I wanted to do a complete flush. I didn't purchase Mercedes transmission fluid, instead I used a well known brand with Mercedes specs. Now I have one great big problem. The transmission won't shift. I started the car and let it worm up and still nothing. Is it because I didn't use Mercedes transmission fluid?? Where did I go wrong and how do I fix my mistakes. Sure need your help. jc
Old 03-02-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Sounds like transmission is empty of fluid. Are you sure that you installed the new fluid into the correct fill tube??

On my '03 SL500, there are two tubes next to each other. One is the engine oil dip stick tube which on mine has a black plug in it. The other tube, the trans fill tube, is much lower and you must break a tab off and pull the plug out then funnel in new fluid. I accidently mixed some trans fluid into my engine oil before realizing my mistake. (I had to drain and refill with fresh oil and filter.)

Check out my post here for what I did for a trans fluid exchange.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 03-02-2016, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I agree with mercy-me. You need to check the level of the engine oil and see where the tranny fluid went and go from there.....
Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 Wagon
Transmission fluid dipsticks are under $10 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ben...NWwZJZ&vxp=mtr
Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM

1993 mercedes benz SL500
I'm Stumped

Prior to delving into this project I purchased a case of 12 quarts of Shell ATF134 Mercedes specs 236.14 transmission fluid, cherry red, a new rubber gasket, and a dip stick. This is the second attempt to flush. 1. I removed the transmission line "in" fitting at the top of the radiator. 2. I purchased a 1/2 inch clear plastic hose and clamped it with a hose clamp. The transmission pan was already full from the first attempt according to the dip stick. A video of flushing the 722.6 transmission I watched on YouTube earlier said to overfill the transmission by 1-1/2 Liter. I didn't want to overfill and have a mess so I put one extra quart in the pan. With everything in place, my Son started the engine, and nothing came out. I have plenty of transmission fluid in the transmission. Why is it not coming out. I followed your instructions to the letter. And I'm still stumped!!! jc
Old 03-02-2016, 05:36 PM

1993 mercedes benz SL500
I'm Stumped.

I want to piggyback on my last post. FYI, This supercharged engine has the transmission fill tube in the center on the engine up against the firewall. And the engine oil fill cap is almost 3" in diameter is on the left side of the valve cover. No chance of making a mistake as to where the fluids go. There is no engine oil dip stick on this engine. The Command Center on the dash will tell me if and when the engine oil is low. Just wanted to clarify a couple of issues. jc
Old 03-02-2016, 09:49 PM

1993 mercedes benz SL500
I'm Stumped

What I'm really asking for is a Journyman Mercedes 722.6 Technician to answer these questions. I followed the YouTube video and the one mercy- me posted showing the flushing procedures to the letter. I have a shop an my residence with a 4 post lift and have been working on my own cars as well as the neighbors, friends and relatives for years.
When I read about the "sealed for life" theory with the transmission, it was hard to swallow. I was pleased to hear Mercedes is not following that theory any more. With a little over 74K on the speedo, I thought it was time to flush the transmission and give it a new life. There was no problems with the shifting or slipping of the transmission, just thought it was time for a good flush. Over the past 60 years I've changed the fluids in numerous automobiles. But never a 722.6 Mercedes transmission. Never ever had one not go into gear after a fluid change.
I need HELP. Called Mercedes Dealer Service Dept. and they want me to bring the car to them. I'm hoping to avoid that. JC.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Originally Posted by cooner6
I want to piggyback on my last post. FYI, This supercharged engine has the transmission fill tube in the center on the engine up against the firewall. And the engine oil fill cap is almost 3" in diameter is on the left side of the valve cover. No chance of making a mistake as to where the fluids go. There is no engine oil dip stick on this engine. The Command Center on the dash will tell me if and when the engine oil is low. Just wanted to clarify a couple of issues. jc
My final 2¢.

There is no dip stick perse' but what there is,is a guide tube to allow suctioning of the engine oil from the top without having to crawl under the car to drain it. An oil and filter change can be done completely from the top side and this is the preferred method that many dealerships use to save time and to not tie up a lift.

My thinking is that what you are checking with you trans dipstick is in fact engine oil which gives you the impression that the trans is full. To validate my theory, take the drain plug out of the trans pan and see if it is full. (I went through exactly what you are going through,sadly!)

It is no wonder that the dealership wants you to have your car flatbedded to them. A simple fix for them and $$'s to you.

I hope that I am right on this and if I am, then your next step is the find the correct fill tube and continue on. Do an engine oil change also of course. There is no way that your trans could suddenly stop working without some advance warning since it was running so good just before the fluid drop.

Keep us in the loop,

Good luck,

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oil Pan Guide Tube.pdf (94.8 KB, 187 views)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
When I bought my '03 a year ago I spent a lot of time trying to learn about how the car was designed to function and thanks to this forum I have learned a lot. I got out there yesterday and labelled carefully the oil and trans fill tubes so the next owner may keep things straight. Lots of new things to learn about this car and how it functions. Also thanks to the forum members help I obtained diagrams of all the fuse boxes and their locations and what each fuse does. I needed that right off as the trunk lid was closer had a leak problem.

Moretech

Last edited by moretech; 03-03-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:21 PM

1993 mercedes benz SL500
I'm Stumped.

I have a 1993 SL500 I've had for almost a year. I recently purchased a low mileage 2003 SL55 AMG. There is no question, I'd be lost without this MBWorld.org forum. Use it constantly for information on both vehicles. jc
The following users liked this post:
Heatwave (03-05-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 02:12 PM

2003 sl 500
Have you gotten your problem solved?? Let the forum members know the answer. Sure helps all of us know the final outcome of complex problems.
Moretech
Old 03-04-2016, 06:06 PM

1993 mercedes benz SL500
I'm Stumped

I'm pretty sure I do. Mercy-me put me on the right track. I've just got to button down the hatches. I haven't finished putting all the fluids in yet. I made the mistake of putting transmission fluid where the motor oil goes. Want to make sure all that stuff is drained out. I'm 78 and a little slow but should be finished tomorrow. When I drive the car and make sure all is working as it should, I will post the results.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:53 AM

2003 sl 500
The next owner of my SL will be happy I got those pipes labelled real good. They are tricky.
Moretech