SL/R230: Dell D630 with MB C3 super Star

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL 500
Dell D630 with MB C3 super Star

Hi All,
I recently purchase a Dell 630 with MB C3 super star loaded. The diagnostic tools all work with exception of being able to log into Star Browser. I can connect to my WiFi but cannot used any kind of browser to get on the internet. My question is if I were to reactivate the operating system ( XP Pro) would I destroy the diagnostic tools that were preloaded onto the computer?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,057 Likes on 978 Posts
1999 E300TD
Here we go again-------first of all,you never want to be running DAS Xentry and be on the internet---if you do so you will loose your keys and the software will be toast. Second you don't need star browser. You should have a copy of WIS installed and that is the app for all the repair assistance. Third if you install XP Pro you will loose all your diagnostic software. You do it in reverse---you reinstall the DAS Xentry if that is what has to be done. Forth look in the help docs, there are numerous docs to help you correctly set up the wifi mode. Fifth put the tool down and spend the next month reading all the help docs that came with the tool---if not send the tool back or throw the tool in a lake and spend time with the family and leave the diagnostics to trained folks!!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:19 PM

2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Here we go again-------first of all,you never want to be running DAS Xentry and be on the internet---if you do so you will loose your keys and the software will be toast. Second you don't need star browser. You should have a copy of WIS installed and that is the app for all the repair assistance. Third if you install XP Pro you will loose all your diagnostic software. You do it in reverse---you reinstall the DAS Xentry if that is what has to be done. Forth look in the help docs, there are numerous docs to help you correctly set up the wifi mode. Fifth put the tool down and spend the next month reading all the help docs that came with the tool---if not send the tool back or throw the tool in a lake and spend time with the family and leave the diagnostics to trained folks!!
Thanks for your reply, Plutoe. Your information is greatly appreciated. All journeys begin with a single step, even for the pros.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:51 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I have SDS running on several computers, including the Lenovo Yoga I am using right now, and with Internet access. I run in VMWare. I installed Firefox as a browser instead of the crippled IE from Star. Of course I don't use any online services for SDS, but I do use it to FTP docs to my website.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:54 AM

2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I have SDS running on several computers, including the Lenovo Yoga I am using right now, and with Internet access. I run in VMWare. I installed Firefox as a browser instead of the crippled IE from Star. Of course I don't use any online services for SDS, but I do use it to FTP docs to my website.
Thanks Rudeney,
My diagnostic tools are loaded on my hard drive. It would be nice to have internet access for FTP like you are doing, I may have to find a way to side load a browser. But I will need to cross my t's and dot my i's before proceeding.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Is your SDS a physical installation (i.e. it is installed on the O/S that boots the computer) or is it virtual (i.e. you boot Windows 7/8/10 and then start VMWare to load the whole SDS and its O/S in a window)?

I use the virtual version, and that way I can install it on other PCs for reference. Also, if something goes "weird", I can just restore the whole virtual copy and go back to an initial, working state.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:39 AM

2003 SL 500
Is your SDS a physical installation (i.e. it is installed on the O/S that boots the computer) or is it virtual (i.e. you boot Windows 7/8/10 and then start VMWare to load the whole SDS and its O/S in a window)?

I use the virtual version, and that way I can install it on other PCs for reference. Also, if something goes "weird", I can just restore the whole virtual copy and go back to an initial, working state.
When I start my computer it boots up and automatically boot SDconnect which in return starts the Star diagnostics, but I end up at my desktop, laptop, with the icons for everything start related. From here I can select what I want.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:09 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
OK, so yours is a physical installation - I assume running Windows XP. That's fine, but as I said, I like virtual better.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:59 AM

2003 SL 500
OK, so yours is a physical installation - I assume running Windows XP. That's fine, but as I said, I like virtual better.
I guess that virtual gives you more flexibility. I am running XP Pro and I have the Key for it. Everything work, my printer is connected and working, just feels naked without a browser.
What is best way to approach my delima without destroying my star diagnostic tools. And earlier comment seems as thought I can reinstall XP since Star is already installed.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:53 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I don't understand the comment about not connecting the computer to The Internet. Like i said, i have SDS installed on several computers, all on The Internet. I don;t use any of the Star features that require Internet access, but I do use FTP and a browser. I installed Firefox and it works quite well. Also, I can use Firefox to browse the Starfinder files, which allows me to print them and then upload them to post them on the forum.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:03 PM

2003 SL 500
I don't understand the comment about not connecting the computer to The Internet. Like i said, i have SDS installed on several computers, all on The Internet. I don;t use any of the Star features that require Internet access, but I do use FTP and a browser. I installed Firefox and it works quite well. Also, I can use Firefox to browse the Starfinder files, which allows me to print them and then upload them to post them on the forum.
Ok, forget about the Star Browser. If am try getting on the internet by typing in and address IE appears as though it is taking me to the address but then I get diagnostic error...their is a problem with IE. I know I am connect to my home network by WiFi. I am being cautious
Old 07-18-2016, 03:10 PM

2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by guster
Ok, forget about the Star Browser. If am try getting on the internet by typing in and address IE appears as though it is taking me to the address but then I get diagnostic error...their is a problem with IE. I know I am connect to my home network by WiFi. I am being cautious
I was able to fix my problem with getting on the internet.
The problem was with IE. I went in to options and deleted it's web browsing history and I am all set now. Thanks