SL/R230: ABC - Signal of plunger travel sensor not within tolerance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500
ABC - Signal of plunger travel sensor not within tolerance

Hi All,
Just picked up my first SL and already seeing the ABC messages. I just had the rear valve block replaced which fixed the high rear end. I purchased a SDS and have been going up the learning curve. I have performed the rodeo and it seemed to pass. When reading the codes that are present, it says that a plunger calibration has not been performed. I try to do the calibration, and after it seemingly raises the car, I get the message "Signal of plunger travel sensor is not within specification". All of the values seem to move when I cycle through the ride heights. Any know where I should be looking? What are the specifications that the car is supposed to achieve as the first part of this test?

The pictures showing the message and plunger values (at highest ride setting) are attached.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails ABC - Signal of plunger travel sensor not within tolerance-img_0993.jpg   ABC - Signal of plunger travel sensor not within tolerance-img_0994.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
When it raises up doing the calibration do the values all change?
Old 05-31-2017, 04:11 PM

2004 SL500
Yes, all values change and seem to be repeatable when cycling between ride heights
Old 05-31-2017, 10:00 PM

Benz
Originally Posted by tcalef
Yes, all values change and seem to be repeatable when cycling between ride heights
If I recall correctly 0mm is at the fully extended position and it goes higher number as the car lowers? When performing the calibration step when the car raises all the way up do the sensors reach 0mm? I have had in the past low fluid level so when you attempt to calibrate there isn't enough fluid to fully extend all struts and it won't perform.
Ive also had issues with cars that have been lowered extremely low that would not raise all the way up presumably due to the strut constantly bottoming out leading to possible internal damage to sensor. After replacing the effected strut everything returned to normal.

Just throwing things out there.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 PM

2004 SL500
The values that I showed (around 20mm) is at the highest setting. The values go around 45mm when all the way lowered.

I checked the fluid level and it seems to be at the right level.

Any ideas?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:10 PM

Benz
The values that I showed (around 20mm) is at the highest setting. The values go around 45mm when all the way lowered.

I checked the fluid level and it seems to be at the right level.

Any ideas?
you are saying at the highest setting. Are referring to the highest setting selected with the switch on the console or the highest setting when performing the function "calibration of plunger travel sensors"?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:39 PM

2004 SL500
That's when I run the calibration routine, but I really doesn't changes whole lot from the top position
Old 06-22-2017, 04:33 PM

MB CL500 C215
Hello,

I've got the same problem with the error code that the plungers aren't calibrated + the white "ABC - Visist Workshop" error. And the problem that the calibration wasn't possible due to a plunger sensor not within tolerance.

After trying nearly half of a year, I finally found the solution for the problem. And its ridiculously simple but you will need STAR. Just turn your adujstable connection rods at the level sensors to original or replace them. Connect your car to STAR, go to the point where you can manually level each corner of the car by pressing the F-Buttons on your keyboard. Level each corner to maximum - it will stop when reached. Go and check the values of the plungers, they now should be all at 0mm. Go and calibrate.

Thats it.

Best regards
Lukas

For

Last edited by luke90; 06-25-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Problem solved
The following users liked this post:
HopefullyE63 (04-05-2019)
Old 04-14-2023, 03:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
W124, W126, W140, W220, W222, R129
Luke, do you suggest removing the oem links if I am having this exact issue? I am looking at the adjustments in the actuation page, and are you talking about using the manual increase of each corner one by one? If so, even all the way up, mine are not showing 0mm. Any ideas?

Old 06-25-2023, 01:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
97 Lexus LS400, 04 Mustang, 08 Corvette Z51, 92 Honda Civic Si, 02 CL500, 03 E500
Originally Posted by luke90
Hello,

I've got the same problem with the error code that the plungers aren't calibrated + the white "ABC - Visist Workshop" error. And the problem that the calibration wasn't possible due to a plunger sensor not within tolerance.

After trying nearly half of a year, I finally found the solution for the problem. And its ridiculously simple but you will need STAR. Just turn your adujstable connection rods at the level sensors to original or replace them. Connect your car to STAR, go to the point where you can manually level each corner of the car by pressing the F-Buttons on your keyboard. Level each corner to maximum - it will stop when reached. Go and check the values of the plungers, they now should be all at 0mm. Go and calibrate.

Thats it.

Best regards
Lukas

For
Hi Luke, I have a Foxwell NT530 & am currently helping a friend to calibrate the plunger travel sensors on his 02 S55 after he replaced his rear struts. I did the rodeo using the scanner then proceeded to the level sensors & plunger travel sensors calibrations under the "Suspension & Initial Start Up With Manual Takeover of Settings of Previous Control Unit". Initially, I couldn't complete the level sensor calibration as it kept prompting me with "The Preconditions of The System Test were not met. Check Preconditions & Repeat System Test". I, however was able to find a work around it by manually raise each corner to max height. By doing so, it also expanded the struts & put the plunger travel sensors to the top end (0mm) then proceeded to the plunger calibration & it passed. The only issue I have left with the ABC is I still have the white warning message with 1 fault condition as for some reason, I couldn't run the last calibration which is the Load Adjustments as it kept telling me it hasn't been successfully performed. Can you or anyone with experience chime in on this issue & tell me if there's a work around to complete the Load Adjustments calibration? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:34 PM

just looking
Hi All,
Just picked up my first SL and already seeing the ABC messages. I just had the rear valve block replaced which fixed the high rear end. I purchased a SDS and have been going up the learning curve. I have performed the rodeo and it seemed to pass. When reading the codes that are present, it says that a plunger calibration has not been performed. I try to do the calibration, and after it seemingly raises the car image, I get the message "Signal of plunger travel sensor is not within specification". All of the values seem to move when I cycle through the ride heights. Any know where I should be looking? What are the specifications that the car is supposed to achieve as the first part of this test?

The pictures showing the message and plunger values (at highest ride setting) are attached.

Thanks!
I've got a problem with my ABC. I have to calibrate my plunger travel sensors, but every time I try with SD it says they aren't within tolerance. When I read the vales of the plungers, it shows: fr: 20mm, fl: 20mm, rr: 40mm, rl: 40mm Does anyone know if the plunger travel sensors must be all at the same height for calibration? Thanks a lot