SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Can some post a picture of the lock-hook on the lid for the glove compartment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Can some post a picture of the lock-hook on the lid for the glove compartment?

The lock-hook that holds the glove compartment lid shut have come loose on my 2003 SL, R230

The lock-hook was loose inside the lid so i took it out and i need to figure out how to attach it again

I have never noticed how the "hook" is attached on the glove compartment lid so i need a picture to tell how the lock-hook is attached on the lid.

So to manage to put the lock-hook back in i need a picture that is showing how the lock-hook is placed on the inside of the glove compartment lid

It helps me a lot if some of my fellow members here can take a picture of the "hook" on the lid while pressing down the plastic cover(see the pic to the right)so most of the hook shows properly

So please press down the cover around the hook while taking the picture
The plastic cover is held up with some kind of spring mechanism

To the left is a picture of the lid after took the hook out.

The picture in the middle is of the hook after i took it off the lid

The picture to the right i found after searching the net for a long time but it does not show which way the lock-hook is held in place because the plastic cover is up

I need a picture where the plastic cover is pressed down like the red arrow shows

Hope some of my fellow members here can help me with a picture so i get the glove compartment lid repaired
Attached Thumbnails Can some post a picture of the lock-hook on the lid for the glove compartment?-glove-compartment.-pic-1.jpg   Can some post a picture of the lock-hook on the lid for the glove compartment?-lock-hook-lid.jpg   Can some post a picture of the lock-hook on the lid for the glove compartment?-press-down-cover-where-red-arrow-points.jpg  

Last edited by TheSaint; 08-14-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Hopefully these will help you. I can try a vew more if you think it will help. The bottom of the images hace the rear of the car, so they're looking into the fixture as though you were sitting in the passenger seat. Left side of the spring-loaded door is being pressed in.

Little stuff like this can be seriously annoying. I can't imagine it will be too difficult to fix though. Good luck with the repair.

-V
Attached Thumbnails Can some post a picture of the lock-hook on the lid for the glove compartment?-20170814_195418_resized.jpg   Can some post a picture of the lock-hook on the lid for the glove compartment?-20170814_195545_resized.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 04:22 PM

350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
This is the pictures i have been looking for so thanks

Thanks a lot for taking the time to take the pictures and also to post them here on the forum Vendetta

It does not look like you can seperate the inside of the glove compartment door so i guess i have to glue the lock/hook back in place using glue that is normally used on new cars

On the picture posted by Vendetta (see the red arrows) it looks like there are 2 metal plates inside the clove compartment door or am i wrong?
Looks like it is only the lock with the hook on my car or there might be another metal plate inside the glove compartment door

Again thanks because these pictures helps me a lot

Vendetta you are 100 percent correct about the fact that things like this is seriously annoying
Attached Thumbnails Can some post a picture of the lock-hook on the lid for the glove compartment?-glue-catch-place.jpg  

Last edited by TheSaint; 08-15-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
You got it, bud. Happy to help.

I haven't looked to be sure, but I'd be surprised if the plastic door liner isn't relatively easy to remove and access whatever you need to reattach the latch loop. You might even find a couple of loose nuts, bolts, or whatever fasteners held it in place.

Keep us posted, inquiring minds want to know - and you never know who's next.

Best of luck,
-V
Old 08-19-2017, 05:48 PM

I will let you know how it turns out

There must be some way to seperate the plastic door liner from the glove compartment door so i can reattach the the catch/hook on the glove compartment

Last edited by TheSaint; 08-19-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALL
Hi, i am currently dealing with this same issue. did you figure out how to separate the outer cover from the glove box to reattach the latch?

Thank you!
Old 06-19-2020, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALL
Originally Posted by imback
Hi, i am currently dealing with this same issue. did you figure out how to separate the outer cover from the glove box to reattach the latch?

Thank you!
Well if anyone is wondering, you can NOT take off the outer part of the glovebox without cutting the inner plastic and then to reassemble you would have to glue it together. I opted to just buy a used glove box and have the leather painted to match my custom black interior.
All because the little latch piece fell off into the door.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
glove box latch on the passenger door

Originally Posted by TheSaint
I will let you know how it turns out

There must be some way to seperate the plastic door liner from the glove compartment door so i can reattach the the catch/hook on the glove compartment
Originally Posted by imback
Well if anyone is wondering, you can NOT take off the outer part of the glovebox without cutting the inner plastic and then to reassemble you would have to glue it together. I opted to just buy a used glove box and have the leather painted to match my custom black interior.
All because the little latch piece fell off into the door.
Hi, can someone tell me how to repair the glove box latch on the passenger door? Thank!