SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ADVICE: Wheels, rotors, discs rusting, etc...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500
ADVICE: Wheels, rotors, discs rusting, etc...

Ok... if you guys remember me telling you about the dealer detailing my car and spraying some sort of cleaning product on my wheels, rotors, brakes that pretty much ate through all the finish/clear coates...? Well they picked up my car on a flatbed and towed it back to Fletcher in Newport Beach. I live in San Luis Obispo, CA. They told me they put on new wheels and as for the brakes and everything else they are telling me it is normal for them to look like that after time outside. I took some more pics for you guys to look at and to get your advice... Does anyone else's look like this? Look at pics on link please. Then I get the car back and the wheels were scratched and other flaws so i call back down and they just took the wheels off another car on the lot and threw them on mine. So I am making them again put on new wheels, as they should. Also now a large scratch has appeared across the roof of my car which I am making them fix because it wasn't there before they took it. Advice please. The pictures you see are from what the dealer says normal wear.

Damaged Wheel Pics
Old 05-09-2004, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
I'd lean on them to replace or refinish the parts that came in contact with the cleaner they used (looks like the calipers are severely discolored).

The rotor rust should wear off the first time you hit the brakes.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:49 AM

2004 SL500
that is what i thought..

I can't imagine a Mercedes part looking like that just because of weather, but maybe im wrong?
Old 05-10-2004, 01:44 PM

only amg
wheels, rotors,discs rusting, etc

since i cannot find your original thread please answer a few questions for me, did you buy this car new, how close to the ocean are you?, and has the m b service rep been in contact with you regarding this situation? it is common for rotors to have light corrosion on them if you are not driving regularly, but from the pictures you provided it seems unusual for some of the other rust that i saw on the calipers and bolts, it could be possible that this car may of had some water damage, it would be interesting to see the vmi mercedes term for vehicle maintenence inquiry to see if any claims have ever been made on this car, and also to see how long this car sat at the dealer before it was sold.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:55 PM

2004 SL500
follow to your ?...more

To let you know basically what the original thread said...

I bought the car new from Fletcher Jones. I now have 6000 miles on it. I drove down there a couple weeks ago (4 hours drive for me) to get some things done that they had promised, in which they also did a full detail on the car. Everything around the wheels looked normal at that point. I know this because I clean my car on a regular basis, or actually keep my car clean on a reg basis. My car is always garaged day and night unless of course im driving it. After returning home a few days later I noticed all these problems and also the wheels were getting these black spots and streaks through them, like the clear coat was coming off the wheels. I added those pics to the link so you can see the wheels too now under the wheel damage Dir.
http://centralcoastwireless.zapto.org/slwheels
Anyways, that is when i called them and they picked my car up and put new wheels on and said the rest is just what is happening to a lot of cars and Mercedes is not covering it. I did contact MBUSA and that is actually why the dealer replaced the wheels. At 1st they were not going to but they got a call from MBUSA the same day and then agreed to... MB is good on CS i have to admit..they do there job. I'm not sure how long the car sat on the lot, but i do know that they didnt look like that b4 the dealer did the full detail. So whatever they put or sprayed there ruined it all. Some service dept's told me there is some stuff that works like acid to take off brake dust, etc.. on chrome and they might of used it on my stuff on accident. ?? I dont know though.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:03 PM

only amg
wheels rotors disc rusting

working for benz for sometime now i have seen this happen only a few times because you learn your lesson right away when this happens, but here is probably what happened, a porter cleaned your wheels with something called magnesium & aluminum cleaner, it is sold to us in bulk big clear 5 & 10 gallon jugs and then we put it in spray bottles, the original container clearly states that this material is to be mixed 50/50 with water so that it does not destroy, or in their words discolor and destroy the finish of any clear coated finishes, or metals, no one ever reads the container they just fill the spray bottles and go. when i saw your pictures it resembled what has happened here, the only solution to your dilema is for the dealer to admit wrongdoing, and replace any affected areas, the metals will continue to oxidize at an accelerated rate because you now have very pourous metal. a direct result of someone using this cleaner on your car. my advice, contact the general sales manager preferrably in person, and try to come to a reasonable solution to your problem, and try to get them to assume resposibility, but i can tell you that it will be very hard to do, we never want to admit wrongdoing, but thankfully i work for a very reputable dealer who would much rather lose money in this case and make you happy, than have you complain to every person you know. and remember this a satisfied customer tells 10 friends, an unsatisfied customer tells everyone.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:49 PM

2004 SL500
do you think since they already replaced wheels..

do you think since they already replaced wheels after what happened that was kind of an admital to what happened? so they might now of put themselves at fault. why replace my wheels if they know they didn't do it is how i am seeing it?

i will get in contact with whom you said now... and i thank you very much for your info... very much needed.

thanks..JrB
Old 05-10-2004, 04:17 PM

only amg
wheels rotors discs rusting

i am glad you read between the lines in my response, by replacing wheels they already have acknowledged fault, now by professionally reasoning you should get your way. and again remember a satisfied customer tells 10 friends an unsatisfied customer tells everyone.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:47 PM

2004 SL500
ya,,i thought u had some meaning there

Ok... well i'm on the path now to get this all done. This is the email i got back after putting my email in to my service advisor using some fire power you gave me. I think i will be able to get this taken care of... i have had so many problems with that dealership you wouldn't believe...starting from the sales to this.

WILL CHECK WITH THE MY TIRE SHOP AND PARTS DEPT TO SEE WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS I WILL CHECK WITH MY MANAGER TO SER WHAT

CAN BE DONE AS WELL. SORRY ABOUT THE SLOW PROCESS. I WILL CONTACT YOU AND LET YOU KNOW WHAT I HEAR
Old 05-11-2004, 02:38 PM

only amg
wheels, rotors,discs rusting, etc

here is another way to help you along, i know the powers to be at that dealership have e-mail address, and i know that they read every one of them, explain the whole ordeal to them in an e-mail and ask for a personal response, donot just let your service advisor try to take care of your problem, they have absolutely no authority to do anything, and will always go to the service manager for help. also the director of fixed operations at that location would be a good person to contact, they are in charge of all service related issues, and are above the service manager, but remember the general manager of the dealership is at the top next to the owner.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:47 PM

2004 SL500
i will do it now....thanks

i did write up a huge email to the advisor in service.. but i will take that now and forward it to the other you suggested.. thank you very much. Josh