Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Fuel Smell after changing my plugs

hey guys,

Went to my shop and they did my plugs and wires.
The next day I get in my car to save my euro charged file and turn the position of the key 2 and I start smelling fuel around the car. I dismiss it as I though it’s just normal and the fuel pump engaging, though I’ve never smelled it.

i started the car to warm her up before the drive and there was a strong smell from the front. I popped open the engine bay and could smell fuel from the front. Once warmed up the smell is gone. Parked her and drove it again 2 hours later no smell. It seems its cold starts or when it has been sitting.

any ideas what could’ve happened I never had this before the plugs. Did going on step colder change the way fuel burns..or would that be dismissed since I smelled it in position 2 with the car off.

im taking her to the shop this weekend :/
Old 07-24-2018, 10:41 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
My guess would be a leak at the flexible fuel line going from the frame to the fuel rail. I'd check those nuts at its connections. Also make sure the fuel rail itself is in good shape.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
Originally Posted by Rudeney
My guess would be a leak at the flexible fuel line going from the frame to the fuel rail. I'd check those nuts at its connections. Also make sure the fuel rail itself is in good shape.
Thanks, how the F it got dislodged? Shop wants more $$?

I will check out this weekend, my car sits at my lake house all week.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 sl55, 2011 CTS coupe
I had a fuel smell coming from the engine bay, only when the engine was cold, for several years (!!) Dealer told me it was the pulsation damper. There went $300 down the drain. Bit the bullet and changed all the o'rings on the fuel rail & injectors which solved the problem. Fairly inexpensive fix if you forget the two injectors I damaged getting them out...
Old 07-25-2018, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
Originally Posted by JaySee56
I had a fuel smell coming from the engine bay, only when the engine was cold, for several years (!!) Dealer told me it was the pulsation damper. There went $300 down the drain. Bit the bullet and changed all the o'rings on the fuel rail & injectors which solved the problem. Fairly inexpensive fix if you forget the two injectors I damaged getting them out...
Jeez, sounds like what I got. How the f did mine suddenly wear out? Maybe sitting in traffic for 3 hours in 95f weather...sob!
Hope it's not dangerous to drive though
Old 07-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 sl55, 2011 CTS coupe
Raw gas in the engine bay can't be a good idea. Perhaps look at the fuel rail pressure after shut down with a cold engine.
jc
Old 07-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
This may not be your problem, but you can use this info if needed.

I just replaced the O rings at the injectors and Pulsation dampener on my 2003 C32 at 144K miles.
Same engine as my SL55, just 2 less cylinders. I believe the fuel rail design is similar for all R230 engines of this vintage.
It solved my fuel smell under the hood. Note that you have to buy an aftermarket (eBay) O ring for the dampener, as MB wants to sell you the whole dampener.
A good job to have a helper for when reinstalling the rail, so you don't damage the injectors.

If you can, take off the intake ducts to expose the injectors and dampener. See if you can spot fuel wetness around all of them when fuel rail is pressurized (turn the key on, but not started).
The dampener is especially hard to see, but a mirror or a white paper towel may help nail it down.
You will have to remove the rail to get the dampener out, which means you might as well replace the injector O rings.
Lube O rings with non-hardening silicone lube, or light oil, before reassembly.
Maybe a 4 out of 10 for difficulty.

Also check the lines to the purge air valve (it taps away at 1 beat per second), and the fuel line fittings to the fuel rail. Both on left side of engine bay.
Other than those items, there are no other sources for fuel under the hood that I know of.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
thanks, will def check it all out this weekend.