SL/R230: Ipod Bluetooth module for streaming music

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 Mauritius Blue SL550
Ipod Bluetooth module for streaming music

Hey guys,

I previously learned from the always helpful 'Rudeney' about a device to stream music from my (Android / Samsung S7) mobile phone via Bluetooth to my 2011 SL550 (COMAND NTG 2.5).

Rodney posted in another thread that I probably needed this device: http://a.co/euQxVLo

It was going to cost me over $120 USD including shipping to Sweden, not counting import fees. Since I purchase many items from China, I decided to give this item a try:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SITA...829435187.html

(If it isn't available when you read this, try searching AliExpress for 'sitaile bluetooth' and you should hopefully be able to find it.)

It cost me 20 bucks including shipping. Sure it took a little over 3 weeks to arrive, but I am pleasantly satisfied with my purchase. It has a fast Bluetooth connection and the sound is great. It plugs into the Ipod-connector inside the center console, and you choose 'AUX' in COMAND to connect to the device. If you also have your phone connected to your R230 via bluetooth to handle your calls, this module will not interfere with that. They can both be connected at the same time, and obviously any incoming/outgoing call always gets priority over music. There are no steering wheel functions that work with this module.

Just wanted to give you a tip.

EDIT: The regular volume up/down steering wheel functions as well as call functions obviously work, just no special buttons for this particular device. But I only listen to Spotify, so that is the only app I have thus far tried with this module.

Last edited by xclens; 09-27-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:41 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I've seen some similar units on eBay, too. I think that is a good option for the price. I know some people use a generic BT transceiver and plug it into the AUX port, but then you have to run power to it. With this, it's a single plug.

I will say that the CarPro in the ML is very nice, especially for iPhone users since it retains full functionality for stored music as if an iPod was directly plugged in. For the most part, my daughter uses Apple Music to download songs and store them on her iPhone, so it works very well for her. There are two issues she has found with it. First, it never shuts off, so her phone stays paired to it as long as she is in range. That is a bit annoying to have have to turn of T on her phone every time she parks and goes into her apartment. The other issue is that while connected to the CarPro, if she has a hands-free conversation through the COMAND BT interface, it will drop audio for a second or two every 30-45 seconds. I have contacted CarPro about this and they gave her some things to try as they say that is not a known issue. She hasn't had time to go through those instructions yet, but when she does, I'll report back if it fixes it or not.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 Mauritius Blue SL550
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I've seen some similar units on eBay, too. I think that is a good option for the price. I know some people use a generic BT transceiver and plug it into the AUX port, but then you have to run power to it. With this, it's a single plug.

I will say that the CarPro in the ML is very nice, especially for iPhone users since it retains full functionality for stored music as if an iPod was directly plugged in. For the most part, my daughter uses Apple Music to download songs and store them on her iPhone, so it works very well for her. There are two issues she has found with it. First, it never shuts off, so her phone stays paired to it as long as she is in range. That is a bit annoying to have have to turn of T on her phone every time she parks and goes into her apartment. The other issue is that while connected to the CarPro, if she has a hands-free conversation through the COMAND BT interface, it will drop audio for a second or two every 30-45 seconds. I have contacted CarPro about this and they gave her some things to try as they say that is not a known issue. She hasn't had time to go through those instructions yet, but when she does, I'll report back if it fixes it or not.
I hope I didn't make it sound like the product you cited was wrongly promoted or something. I just happened to find a cheap Chinese version that seems to work, for at least the past 3 days. heh That is the only reason for the thread. All thanks to you for the original advice! Sometimes you can get away with purchasing cheaper "knockoffs", but other times it will cost you 10x more in the long run. We'll just have to see how this module works out...
Old 09-27-2018, 11:30 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
No, not at all! I think the one you found is a great solution for the price. Also, for non-iPhoen users, the CarPro doesn't do much. It won't display track title info, but it will use the up/down buttons to change tracks. So for Android users, it might be better to buy your solution and save money over the CarPro.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
I have the same adapter in my SL, it's called Moker Bluetooth Adapter on Amazon for around $35. Works flawlessly and the sound quality is great.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1987 190E 2.3-16V; 2011 C300 M/T
Originally Posted by danaw007
I have the same adapter in my SL, it's called Moker Bluetooth Adapter on Amazon for around $35. Works flawlessly and the sound quality is great.
I'm hoping you guys can be of assistance. I have 2011 C300 with the Nav/Multimedia package and I can't seem to get the Moker Bluetooth unit to power on. It's definitely the correct plug, I'm just not getting any power to the Moker unit. I tried doing an RMA to get a second one (in case the first was a dud) and still nothing. HALP!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
The Moker units are cheap Chinese garbage so there is a definite possibility that you have a bad unit. I would try someone else’s unit to test your outlet (check your fuse, the obvious fix). Get another Moker
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 PM

The Moker units are cheap Chinese garbage so there is a definite possibility that you have a bad unit. I would try someone else’s unit to test your outlet (check your fuse, the obvious fix). Get another Moker
Already got the second unit, and checked fuses 81 and 84 in the trunk (I'm pretty sure fuse 26 under the hood can't be bad otherwise the whole system wouldn't start up). Is there another fuse somewhere?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM

Already got the second unit, and checked fuses 81 and 84 in the trunk (I'm pretty sure fuse 26 under the hood can't be bad otherwise the whole system wouldn't start up). Is there another fuse somewhere?