SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Any taken off the door speaker covers without having to take off the door panels?

Old 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Any taken off the door speaker covers without having to take off the door panels?

I need to access the main speaker on the passenger and wonder if any here have taken off the speaker cover without having to remove the door panels?

Looking at the speaker covers they are fastened with 5 plastic clips that nees to be pushed in to get the cover off

Looking at the door cover there is 5 holes for the speaker cover

Only need to push in the tabs on the speaker cover a little to get the cover off

I wonder if the pictures i downloaded from the internet is of different year models of the SL, R230 for the door panel and speaker covers since there are only 5 holes for the door cover and a whole bunch more tabs on the speaker covers?

There are plenty of "tabs" on the speaker covers

Last edited by TheSaint; 02-13-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
If you look closely, you'll notice that the 2 clips oriented to the top of the speaker grille (right side of the picture) have a more pronounced protrusion. The 3 remaining holes are for the tabs which are flat with no protrusion whatsoever. Those are for alignment. The remaining tabs have a smaller protrusion and compression clip to the door panel. So you must use a body panel removal tool (or other sufficient flat object) and start removal from the the tab marked with the arrow farthest to the left on the bottom of the speaker grille. Once the bottom is released, pull the grille slightly downward as you pulling out. Those 2 top tabs are very easy to snap and when they do snap, you'll never get secure fitment again (ie, when going over a pothole they can pop loose). When reinstalling, you must insert the two top tabs 1st, then press in on the edges of the grille working your way downward.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 185 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Taking the door panel off is a piece of cake. There’s clear info on the forum.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by Frederick NL
Taking the door panel off is a piece of cake. There’s clear info on the forum.
I wouldn't call R/R of the door trim a piece of cake. I've done it and there a few things that make it a bit more involved. Plastic clips attaching trim to the door will brake and the trim is not very convenient to handle due to its large size. But there is one consideration that might be important. These pins on the speaker cover, shown in the pics above, get really fragile with age, especially if your SL spent time in hot climates, like Florida, and brake easily.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:02 PM

350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Smile

Thanks for heling me out here fellow members

I will try carefully to take off the speaker grille and if the "tabs2 holding it in place seems fragile i will rather take off the door panel

The thing is that i need to replace one of the loudspeakers and from looking at a couple of pictures it lookes like when you have taken off the screws that hold the speaker you can just take out the speaker from the outside

But i might just as well be wrong and the speakers holder/assembly comes off the door from the inside so you have to take off the whole speaker assembly like on the pictures below

I think that perhaps you can replace the speaker from the side shown on the first picture below (if i am lucky that is)
I might be wrong and that you have to take off the speaker assembly from the "inside" like it is shown on the bottom picture. If so i will have to remove the door panel

Now that i have studied the pictures closer i think it looks like the speaker assembly have to come off of the door so i will have to take off the door panel.
If so i will order some extra door panel clips so i have a few spare clips in case any break while taking off the door panel. Usually i am patient and do not brake anything but you never know

I also have a couple of kits of plastic tools for taking off interior panels and this kit works great, Tool kits like this is tools every person that does work on their own car should have in their tool box

Last edited by TheSaint; 02-18-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
I looked at pics for door trims offered for sale on e-bay, and it looks like speaker assembly is not attached to the trim, but to the door frame. Then screw heads should be pointing towards inside of the car. If there is enough space, it might be possible to get to them and remove speaker assembly through the opening behind the speaker panel. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 185 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
In a popular British comedy on TV, this was the catch phrase: “listen very carefully because I’ll say this only once”.
Take out the bloody door panel. Unscrew the screw behind the plastic SRS label and take of the silver plate on the side. It takes just your finger tips to click the panel loose at the bottom. Loosen a lock rod, surprisingly easy to do. Unplug a few electric plugs, they’re all different, mixing them up later is impossible. (Further details are on this forum).
Now the speaker unit is staring at you. A few screws and it’s at your desk.
Leave the speaker grille alone, you’re going to wreck it. If anywhere you don’t want a rattle it’s right in front of your speaker.
DIXI
The following 2 users liked this post by Frederick NL:
Eric79 (02-18-2019), Leej (03-04-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Mercedes SL550
Originally Posted by Frederick NL
In a popular British comedy on TV, this was the catch phrase: “listen very carefully because I’ll say this only once”.
Take out the bloody door panel. Unscrew the screw behind the plastic SRS label and take of the silver plate on the side. It takes just your finger tips to click the panel loose at the bottom. Loosen a lock rod, surprisingly easy to do. Unplug a few electric plugs, they’re all different, mixing them up later is impossible. (Further details are on this forum).
Now the speaker unit is staring at you. A few screws and it’s at your desk.
Leave the speaker grille alone, you’re going to wreck it. If anywhere you don’t want a rattle it’s right in front of your speaker.
DIXI
Awesome advice!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:17 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
You have to take the door panel off.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Smile

Okey then i will take off the door panel. No problem i have taken off a bunch of door panels on several cars

I am qitye sure i know the tv show you are talking about Frederick Klopp says the german officer that use glasses. Allo Allo my french friends that show aired here back in the 90`s and is a great show

When taking off the door panel it really does not matter if i have to take out the from the front or from the behind since there is no problem taking off speaker assembly when the door panels are off

Last edited by TheSaint; 03-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.