Notices
SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

QUESTION ABOUT FRONT BUMPERS

 
Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
QUESTION ABOUT FRONT BUMPERS

does anyone know if the 2007-2008 front bumper of the SL550 also installs on a 2003-2006 SL500 AMG sports package?

Last edited by goth; 03-26-2019 at 06:00 AM.
goth is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 11:47 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North Cali
Posts: 346
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 SL500
From what i know - yes, it's a direct fit. Anything before the facelift should fit. But i've never swapped myself. Always wanted to change the bumper for an AMG one, but the price (!) and the clear bra on my SL stopped me from doing it


Regards
Ghostty is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:00 AM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by Ghostty View Post
From what i know - yes, it's a direct fit. Anything before the facelift should fit. But i've never swapped myself. Always wanted to change the bumper for an AMG one, but the price (!) and the clear bra on my SL stopped me from doing it


Regards
i guess this would help


goth is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:01 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
the SL changed their bumpers for 2007. mine is the blue car and i am wondering if i can swap it with the newer version. and change foglights of course
goth is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 11:27 PM
  #5  
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,182
Received 783 Likes on 728 Posts
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350, FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Your best bet would be to buy a used bumper with all the parts intact. If you are gong to buy new parts, there's actually a lot to a bumper. It consists of the outer painted skin, several inner pieces of energy absorbing foam, a plastic stiffener, the grille panels, fog lights, side markers, some wiring, and a few other support pieces. It's a bit of a pain to assemble. The actual metal "frame" behind the bumper is all the same.
Rudeney is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 05:27 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 378
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
1966 W113 230SL 2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Selling the W113.
CAUTION: BRACE FOR OPINION
Goth - why not spend all that time cruisin’ around in your pretty face SL in stead of getting dirty hands and a sore back for a trivial make over... nothing wrong with either front end, but what the heck....
Frederick NL is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 06:04 AM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by Frederick NL View Post
CAUTION: BRACE FOR OPINION
Goth - why not spend all that time cruisin’ around in your pretty face SL in stead of getting dirty hands and a sore back for a trivial make over... nothing wrong with either front end, but what the heck....
i had an accident i need a new bumper
goth is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 06:06 AM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney View Post
Your best bet would be to buy a used bumper with all the parts intact. If you are gong to buy new parts, there's actually a lot to a bumper. It consists of the outer painted skin, several inner pieces of energy absorbing foam, a plastic stiffener, the grille panels, fog lights, side markers, some wiring, and a few other support pieces. It's a bit of a pain to assemble. The actual metal "frame" behind the bumper is all the same.
totally understand your point however let's assume that i had the total package bumper huh? but it was the 07-08 model
and yet i have the old style currently..... will it work?
goth is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 10:27 AM
  #9  
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,182
Received 783 Likes on 728 Posts
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350, FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
totally understand your point however let's assume that i had the total package bumper huh? but it was the 07-08 model
and yet i have the old style currently..... will it work?
The inner frame, fenders and headlights are all the same, so it should be bolt-on and you're done.
Rudeney is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 06:49 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney View Post
The inner frame, fenders and headlights are all the same, so it should be bolt-on and you're done.
ok thank you
goth is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 PM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney View Post
The inner frame, fenders and headlights are all the same, so it should be bolt-on and you're done.
hey guys, i like to give an update on this as i love giving updates. this is NOT an easy swap
there are i don't wanna say completely but they are different cars or bumpers. totally different.
i won't say it's impossible but there have to be some radical changes
07-08 fog lights receive a different set of connectors or they won't work
also the side markers are way too larger above all fender liners on 07-08 model are different as well. 03-06 fender liners are way too big for the 07-08 bumper.
goth is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:44 PM
  #12  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney View Post
The inner frame, fenders and headlights are all the same, so it should be bolt-on and you're done.
hey guys, i like to give an update on this as i love giving updates. this is NOT an easy swap
there are i don't wanna say completely but they are different cars or bumpers. totally different.
i won't say it's impossible but there have to be some radical changes
07-08 fog lights receive a different set of connectors or they won't work
the front grills fit differently on these two models. i am not sure which model has a steeper angle but i have looked online i can't pull up the original 07-08 front grille all i see are modifications and upgrades
also the side markers are way too larger above all fender liners on 07-08 model are different as well. 03-06 fender liners are way too big for the 07-08 bumper.
goth is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:43 PM
  #13  
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,182
Received 783 Likes on 728 Posts
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350, FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
If you had the entire bumper with all parts, it would be a bolt on as the metal frame parts and headlights and mounts points are all the same. If you are trying to adapt just the skin, then yes, you need lots of parts.
Rudeney is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 AM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
Angry

Originally Posted by Rudeney View Post
If you had the entire bumper with all parts, it would be a bolt on as the metal frame parts and headlights and mounts points are all the same. If you are trying to adapt just the skin, then yes, you need lots of parts.
Rodney of course you are right i hate to argue because you are always right however i am probably pointing out the problems with such a swap
everything has to go. or everything has to be upgraded to 07-08 for it to work.
goth is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:22 PM
  #15  
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,182
Received 783 Likes on 728 Posts
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350, FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Originally Posted by goth View Post
Rodney of course you are right i hate to argue because you are always right
Can you please tell my wife that!

however i am probably pointing out the problems with such a swap
everything has to go. or everything has to be upgraded to 07-08 for it to work.
And another note in that respect is working with all of those internal bumper parts is quite a pain. I've done several, and they plastic stiffeners and foam impact absorbers never seem to fit right, but of course once they are properly placed, it all snaps together. You just have to be careful with the painted skin so you don't damage its finish.
Rudeney is offline  
Old 05-31-2019, 09:02 PM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 75
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney View Post
Can you please tell my wife that!



And another note in that respect is working with all of those internal bumper parts is quite a pain. I've done several, and they plastic stiffeners and foam impact absorbers never seem to fit right, but of course once they are properly placed, it all snaps together. You just have to be careful with the painted skin so you don't damage its finish.
I will. what's her user ID? lol
goth is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: QUESTION ABOUT FRONT BUMPERS


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: