SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Does Keyless Go need to be reset?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500 R230 '04
Does Keyless Go need to be reset?

Hi again,

I've had a few issues with my car over the past few months but I think I'm getting close to sorting them now. It appears the last issue I have is with the Keyless Go function which has stopped working. I have had issues with batteries and both have now been replaced. I have tested and confirmed that my PSC pump is working fine and I have had to have my keyswitch module repaired/replaced (EIC I think) as it was losing connection with other modules causing lots of random message faults and lights on the dash.

So as of now everything is functioning with the keys as it should apart from the keyless Go!. When I try to open the locked door without a key the message "Key not detected" appears on the dash so I think this confirms the button on the door handle is ok. So I unlock the car by the remote(both IR close and button from distance works) but when I press the button on the gear lever with the key on me I also get the message "keys not detected" and the ignition does nothing. I can put the key in the ignition and turn it on normally and all is good. Does this system have to be synced in any way as the keyswitch module has been repaired/replaced?

I have checked fuses 57 and 58 as found on other threads and they are both good.

Any answers welcome.

Regards

Tim

Thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 09:00 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
There's really nothing to reset, although you could try this:

http://benzbits.com/r230/KeylessGoProgramming.pdf

If that does not work, then you may need to hook up to SDS for a proper diagnosis.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 SL550
I have the same problem

Everything else works except the push button start, and the proximity opening of the doors by touching the door handle.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:52 AM

SL 500 R230 '04
Thanks Rudeney, Just out of interest could you let me know the location of the N69/5 unit. I believe I've seen it's in the boot/trunk but wonder where?

Thanks

Tim
Old 04-20-2019, 09:50 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It's in the trunk, left side, right underneath the drive unit for the NAV discs.
The following users liked this post:
Breakout16 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 AM

SL 500 R230 '04
Question Continued Keyless go issues

Ok, so right now where I am on this is as follows.
I have located and removed the Keyless go module in the boot/trunk as helpfully pointed out by Rudeney. The unit is in good clean condition and has no moisture damage. After re-fitting the unit I have again tried to operate the Keyless go function on my car but to no avail. Every now and then however it does work! Yesterday whilst trying out the suggestions about testing as described above I had one situation where I was able to unlock the car by using the button on the drivers side door. I know this button is working at all times as I could see the "No key detected" display on the dash during the other attempts. I then got inside the car and placed the key on the centre console, pressed the button on the gear lever and hey presto the car started. Wow, well I was so amazed at this I pressed the button again and stopped it only to get the "Key not detected" the very next time I tried it!
So I thought both my keys were ok as they work in the ignition switch at all times but reading the actual manual I note that it says to keep the keys away from strong sources of Electromagnet Interference and I'm now wondering if my keys have lost their transmitting ability over time? I keep all my car keys in a drawer whilst not using them and have another car with keyless go (Only a ford focus for work) and also a magnet on another keyring which I use during my work and am wondering if either of these has effected my SL keys over time? I have obviously changed both batteries on the SL fobs and I always get a red LED flicker on when I press any buttons. Is there any way to test these keys? Can I get replacement keys and simply follow the instructions placed on here by Rudeney so the EIC unit "learns" these keys over a few hours or is that not an option either.
I'm still reluctant to put it into MB along with a blank cheque but I now feel the issues are being narrowed down.

Still hopeful

Tim
Old 04-23-2019, 07:53 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
You need to hook it up to SDS and check code in the KG module, plus you can use it to test the antennas. I doubt both keys are bad - you may have a faulty antenna.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s55 amg
Originally Posted by Rudeney
You need to hook it up to SDS and check code in the KG module, plus you can use it to test the antennas. I doubt both keys are bad - you may have a faulty antenna.
anybody know where i can buy the antenna and how i can fix it
Old 11-01-2022, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL500
Question Keyless Start and Go

Got the same problem with one of my smart key fobs. The other fob works properly and keyless start and go function on the gear shifter starts the car.