Notices
SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

new member question

 
Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 123
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 R230 SL-500 / 2017 E300
new member question

I joined the forum today and posted a message to the R230 forum and it has disappeared. What's up with that? It was in the forum along with a small attachment and had a few views. I went to dimmer and when I came back t was gone.

Mike.
mikefamig is online now  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:10 PM
  #2  
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,183
Received 783 Likes on 728 Posts
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350, FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Hi Mike, my guess is that the forum software "auto-moderated" your post. I think there may be a certain number of posts you must have before it will allow you to post links or photos.
Rudeney is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 AM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 123
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 R230 SL-500 / 2017 E300
Yes I must have posted too soon after joining, it seems fine now. I joined a couple of days ago and replied to an existing post but when I came back today the system didn't recognize me as a member so I joined again. Maybe that had something to do with it too.

At any rate it seems fine now. thanks.
mikefamig is online now  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:18 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600
Anyways, WELCOME!
V12inRI is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 123
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 R230 SL-500 / 2017 E300
Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked around here for years and only joined now because I am considering replacing the headlamp washer nozzles in the SL and there's a wealth of knowledge here. I was introduced to this site by my father in law who is a Mercedes enthusiast and car collector but just passed 90 years and is no longer active. I have both the SL and a C300 that have come from him. I've been turning wrenches since I got a mini bike when I was 11 years old and professionally in the 1970's. I still have old cars and a motorcycle that I have restored and maintain but haven't kept up with automotive technology. I left mechanics for computer programming and my auto mechanic skills are mostly stuck in the 70's. when ars had points and plugs.

The SL500 is a 2005 with 23k miles and in mint condition and the headlamp washer nozzles are the only problem right now. The job looks pretty straight forward and the only problem that I expect to have is handling the bumper cover alone when I remove and replace it. That is if I decide to do it myself.





Mike.
mikefamig is online now  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:12 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 23
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 SL550 & Infiniti G35x (winter car)
Welcome '''. Unless the nozzles are leaking and making a mess you could conceivably get along just fine never using them. Other forum members have commented on the volume of fluid dispensed as extreme overkill and destroys your clean car. Do you use the headlights washers on other MB? Plenty of opportunities to turn wrenches on your new SL as you can learn about in this forum.
ps I could not open attachment pictures.
MBCO is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:35 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 123
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 R230 SL-500 / 2017 E300
Originally Posted by MBCO View Post
Welcome '''. Unless the nozzles are leaking and making a mess you could conceivably get along just fine never using them. Other forum members have commented on the volume of fluid dispensed as extreme overkill and destroys your clean car. Do you use the headlights washers on other MB? Plenty of opportunities to turn wrenches on your new SL as you can learn about in this forum.
ps I could not open attachment pictures.
The nozzles are a little ball and socket assembly and the ***** have shot out like BB's. Now the water comes out onto the hood like a garden hose. The headlamp washer comes on automatically with the windshield washer periodically so I can't use the windshield washer until the headlamp washer is fixed.

The SL is not new to me, I've had it for years but it has been good to me with few repairs. I've done oil changes, engine and cabin air filters, changed batteries once and replaced the alarm siren recently. The car is mint and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm not looking for excuses to turn wrenches, I have plenty of opportunity for that with five cars and a motorcycle here. I am considering having the dealer do the job becasue I am alone and the bumper is large but I'm leaning towards doing it myself.

Mike.
mikefamig is online now  
Old 06-05-2019, 03:07 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 23
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 SL550 & Infiniti G35x (winter car)
I do not have the MB DAS Xentry system, but other forum members do. Perhaps a member could look into providing you with the R and R instructions for the job, part numbers too. You will have a better idea of what is involved even if you elect dealership repair.
MBCO is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:23 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 219
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by mikefamig View Post
The nozzles are a little ball and socket assembly and the ***** have shot out like BB's. Now the water comes out onto the hood like a garden hose. The headlamp washer comes on automatically with the windshield washer periodically so I can't use the windshield washer until the headlamp washer is fixed.

The SL is not new to me, I've had it for years but it has been good to me with few repairs. I've done oil changes, engine and cabin air filters, changed batteries once and replaced the alarm siren recently. The car is mint and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm not looking for excuses to turn wrenches, I have plenty of opportunity for that with five cars and a motorcycle here. I am considering having the dealer do the job becasue I am alone and the bumper is large but I'm leaning towards doing it myself.

Mike.
If you do not really need these washers, I suggest that you try to disconnect the plug on the pump. There are two separate pumps for windshield and headlight washers, so you'll have everything you need and nothing you don't.
alk247 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 123
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 R230 SL-500 / 2017 E300
Originally Posted by alk247 View Post
If you do not really need these washers, I suggest that you try to disconnect the plug on the pump. There are two separate pumps for windshield and headlight washers, so you'll have everything you need and nothing you don't.
I hear ya but I'd like to keep the car as close to 100% as I can. It only has ~25k miles on it. I have a pro body man friend that will smooth and paint the scuffs on the bottom of the bumper cover while it is off of the car which gives me a little more incentive to do it. I've read through the procedure and removing the bumper cover looks pretty straight forward. I'm not decided yet but I'm leaning towards doing it.

Mike.
mikefamig is online now  
Old 06-06-2019, 12:06 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 219
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by mikefamig View Post
I hear ya but I'd like to keep the car as close to 100% as I can. It only has ~25k miles on it. I have a pro body man friend that will smooth and paint the scuffs on the bottom of the bumper cover while it is off of the car which gives me a little more incentive to do it. I've read through the procedure and removing the bumper cover looks pretty straight forward. I'm not decided yet but I'm leaning towards doing it.

Mike.
There are three features that are utterly useless in a 300 hp rear wheel drive $100k+ roadster - headlight washers, windshield wipers heater and windshield fluid heater. All designed for cars driven in snow, ice and cold.
alk247 is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 12:24 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600
Originally Posted by alk247
There are three features that are utterly useless in a 300 hp rear wheel drive $100k+ roadster - headlight washers, windshield wipers heater and windshield fluid heater. All designed for cars driven in snow, ice and cold.
More of an opinion more than a fact. I have winter wheels for all my cars because unless there's a bunch of snow on the ground I actually enjoy driving any of my cars whenever I want.
V12inRI is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 03:17 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 219
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by V12inRI View Post
More of an opinion more than a fact. I have winter wheels for all my cars because unless there's a bunch of snow on the ground I actually enjoy driving any of my cars whenever I want.
1. It is, definitely, an opinion. The fact is that there are these features. My opinion is that they are useless.
2. I believe that you are rather an exception, than a rule. Mot people here do not drive their SL in the snow. I, personally, try not to drive it even on a wet surface, if I can. I also do not use SL for ski trips (not that there is a convenient way to haul skis in it).
alk247 is offline  
Old 06-20-2019, 03:36 PM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 123
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 R230 SL-500 / 2017 E300
So I replaced the headlamp washer nozzles and just tested them and they make a mess of the hood even when they are working correctly. It sprays far and wide. I may pull the fuse on them after all but I don't regret repairing them It is my opinion that this is a 14 year old car that came to me in near #1 condition and I'm going to keep it that way. I'm having the curb scuffs on the bottom of the bumper painted while it is off the car which will be nice too.

Does anyone know if the headlamp washer has a separate fuse?

Mike.
mikefamig is online now  
Old 06-20-2019, 04:26 PM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 123
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 R230 SL-500 / 2017 E300
OK so I found the fuse chart in the tool kit in the trunk of the car. It tells me that F38 is the fuse for the headlamp washer. I located and removed 7.5amp fuse f38 and the headlamp washers still work.

Any help?

Mike.
mikefamig is online now  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new member question


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: