SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Updated my ECU and ABC software, and what a difference.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 05:57 AM

Received 185 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon
Updated my ECU and ABC software, and what a difference.

or some time I have been wanting the full Xentry package, being able to modify things, to the full extend, not only what the cheaper diagnostic tool allowed. So to make it easy for my self, I hooked up with member pmercury and had him setup a sole laptop with all the bells and whistles, and bought a Multiplexer in China. All working fine, no errors.

After an introduction by pmercury, the first thing I did was trolling through the module looking for software updates, and found 4 available.

ECU came first, connected the charger ( 40A ) + plus an extra battery. During software update the amp draw is about 80 amp's, and if the voltage drop to much, the update crashes, and big trouble ahead. It helps a lot if you unplug the radiator fan, as this starts during software update, and draw about 40 amp.

Engine software status.

Next came ABC :

The other 2 modules to update where SBC and CGW.

Taking it out for a spin, and what a difference.

The engine running even more smooth, better throttle response, spinning like a kitten.

The ABC always have had a tendency too get into feed back mode from time to time, especially when cold. This could be felt like short burst of low frequency vibrations. Only doing from time to time, not consistent, disappearing after a short while. After the software update, it's gone, no more. The ride is softer, more balanced, and smooth. Cooping better with uneven roads as well. No change in drive ability or less performance.

Alone these 4 software updates, where MB charges about 150-300 $ each, has paid for the whole Xentry setup, The developer tool now enables me to change settings, add features and further options.

There are other solutions, than Xentry, but that was my choice.
The following users liked this post:
NHSl550 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Placebo Effect: "a beneficial effect produced by a placebo drug or treatment, which cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment."

The effect is powerful. To wit, search here and/or Benzworld for reviews of "Omeyhomey's" lightened crankshaft pulley from c. 2008.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by bobterry99
Placebo Effect: "a beneficial effect produced by a placebo drug or treatment, which cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment."

The effect is powerful. To wit, search here and/or Benzworld for reviews of "Omeyhomey's" lightened crankshaft pulley from c. 2008.
Being a lab rat, I don't know what is going on, placebo or real, I just trust my senses.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:36 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, maybe that I changed the setting in ECU from " Fuel enrichment NONE to Fuel ENRICHMENT " made a difference, as well as changed fuel settings to maximum octane, gives a bit more pre ignition.

Also did a reset of transmission adaptation.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SLcharge
...I just trust my senses.
But should members of this forum trust your senses as well?

My prior post mentioned a lightened crankshaft pulley. A scientific analysis was presented which illustrated that under the best of circumstances the pulley freed-up just a fraction of one horsepower. Yet forum members who had installed the pulley rhapsodized how their "butt dynos" detected improved throttle response.

Doubtless one or more members trusted those reports and purchased pulleys at considerable expense. There was no material performance gain, of course, and worse, apparently the pulleys were under-engineered or otherwise defective. A video appeared on YouTube of a pulley in the process of self-destructing.

Another example of Placebo relates to audio.

Most electrical appliances which run from a home's A/C power have power cords terminated with a two-pronged connector which can have two orientations when plugged into a wall socket.

Years ago I read that a high-end audio magazine advocated that music listeners should experiment with that orientation of the power cords of their stereo equipment, since one orientation would sound better than the other. As an engineer, I state with certainty this is complete nonsense. And yet presumably at least one person at that magazine imagined a difference, and it was a Placebo Effect.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:19 AM

But should members of this forum trust your senses as well?
Not being in here in this forum for a very long time, I am probably not that trustworthy, so it is up too each individual member to make their own judgement.

Having worked with cars for ages, also doing track racing, I consider my self objective, trying not to exaggerate results.

The ABC software upgrade is such an improvement though, that I wish you could experience that yourself..
Old 09-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Banned

Oh, I forgot to mention, maybe that I changed the setting in ECU from " Fuel enrichment NONE to Fuel ENRICHMENT " made a difference, as well as changed fuel settings to maximum octane, gives a bit more pre ignition.
I believe these settings may not have the affect you believe they have.

For years I advocated setting the minimum octane from the default value of 89 (91?) to '93. I did so based upon my intuition and the benefits a friend reported when I did this to his car. Subsequently, Rodney ("Rudeney") and a moderator named Bayhas have informed me that this change is of no consequence. At this point my mind is undecided, but I no longer write about the change.

I'm not familiar with the "enrichment" setting you made. Intuitively, I suppose it may make some engines run worse and others run better.

According to a respected tech on another forum, if there is a mixture imbalance between cylinders, then to achieve a stoichiometric ratio lambda control will adjust the overall mixture based upon the richest-running cylinders. This will cause the leaner cylinders to be too lean, and this condition can be acute to the point of causing misfires. It's intuitive to me that the setting you have fiddled with may be intended to address that situation.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 AM

I believe these settings may not have the affect you believe they have.

I'm not familiar with the "enrichment" setting you made. Intuitively, I suppose it may make some engines run worse and others run better.
According to the description in the below picture, it do enrich the mixture when you accelerate, among others. This means in my world that it lowers the A/F ratio, also changing the Lambda setting.

Although the stoichiometric value of 14.5 is optimum for perfect gasoline combustion, it don't give maximum power, 12.8 does that, but also pollutes more.
One explanation though, could be, that a more rich mixture prevent knocking, so if you run low octane fuel, you can regain some power buy enriching, and getting more spark advance.

Anyway, I intend to find out what the limitations on this setting is, and why it is there. May take some time.

Last edited by SLcharge; 09-07-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Editing pictures
Old 09-07-2019, 11:53 AM

According to the description in the below picture, it do enrich the mixture when you accelerate, among others. This means in my world that it lowers the A/F ratio, also changing the Lambda setting.

Although the stoichiometric value of 14.5 is optimum for perfect gasoline combustion, it don't give maximum power, 12.8 does that, but also pollutes more.
One explanation though, could be, that a more rich mixture prevent knocking, so if you run low octane fuel, you can regain some power buy enriching, and getting more spark advance.

Anyway, I intend to find out what the limitations on this setting is, and why it is there. May take some time.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Banned

It's surprising to me how little discussion there seems to be about these settings on the Internet, though web pages which discuss tweaks and changes that can be made with Developer mode are readily found.

In regard to the octane setting that you changed, that is discussed to some extent in a WIS tech document. Hopefully you can make more sense of it than I can. I believe you may find it if you search for "RON switch".

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
sl600
yeah placebo effect can definitely happen around these cars, but I would think the new software updates atleast cleared some bugs in the software and better efficiency of the electric motors and other various components which will prolong the life. Like someone sat around spending the time debugging the code in the software, I doubt it be for nothing.

But that fuel enrichment intrigues my interest. Like ability to self tune the car for more boost. (but a tuner probably get better results) but see if you get better gas mileage from different settings. (then the update woulda have paid for itself)

But the question is, Is worth 300$................ FOR ME NOPE.(it should be for free or cheaper)