SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: New to me SL500 OBD2 Scanner?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 12:07 PM

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts
2005 SL600
I was having problems getting my Xentry system going and found that the OBD2 port on my car is a little problematic. As it's mounted in the dash, the connector plug can't be completely firmly seated into the port. No matter what I did, it felt like it was very loose and about to fall off, and the interface wasn't connecting. I removed the two torx screws holding the port into the lower dash and then removed the plastic bezel that surrounds the port/plug; this is really easy to do, once you remove the two screws there's plenty of extra length in the wiring harness so the plug can hang down well away from the dash, and the port/plug is held into the bezel with a simple releasable clip. Anyway, once the port/plug is removed from the bezel I could completely seat the plug for my interface into the OBD2 port and everything works fine.
The following users liked this post:
Frederick NL (08-25-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 12:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2004 SL500; 2016 E400; 2019 GLC300
I was thinking that too with the obd port. I connected my other scanner and it was fine.

I was pressing pretty hard with the multiplexer cable to see if there was a change. I will probably do what you did tonight.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:42 PM

Latest response from China...I don't know why I think this is somewhat comical. I don't want my network infiltrated, but i might give in.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:50 PM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by MBMidas
Latest response from China...I don't know why I think this is somewhat comical. I don't want my network infiltrated, but i might give in.

I know, they secure the whole junk system with a activation bootloader, once they disapear and your system locks for some reason, you can trash it
Old 08-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Latest response from China...I don't know why I think this is somewhat comical.
They do not seem to understand that the system worked initially, and therefore there are no activation issues. If they require a remote session for you to receive a refund or an exchange, then why not take your laptop to a Starbucks and use their network while the Chinese remote in? Incidentally, countless people have gone through a Teamviewer session with the Chinese and gotten assistance with no consequence.

As an alternative to Star Diagnosis, the $135 N510 Elite is the best value available. It will do everything you would likely use a full-blown Star Diagnosis to do; what it can not do you likely would never have use for anyway. (Someone here may tell you that it won't handle "SCNs" -- and they'd be correct -- but what they don't know is your car has no use for SCNs (Software Calibration Numbers).

Originally Posted by pmercury
I know, they secure the whole junk system with a activation bootloader...
We know you're here to skirt MBWorld policies and try to convince members to spend $800 on a system which can not compete with the Chinese. So you spread misinformation about Chinese products to gin up fear over trojans and other mishaps.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:41 AM

CL
Originally Posted by bobterry99

We know you're here to skirt MBWorld policies and try to convince members to spend $800 on a system which can not compete with the Chinese. So you spread misinformation about Chinese products to gin up fear over trojans and other mishaps.
my reputation has been proven in hundreds of reviews and posts

Old 08-21-2020, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pmercury
my reputation has been proven in hundreds of reviews and posts
This will be my last post addressed to you.

I have told you repeatedly that I believe the quality of your product and service to be exemplary. The problem is the cost. I've also told you that if you admit the $250 Chinese systems are quite good and quit spreading lies about them, then I would support you, since I believe there is a very small niche in the marketplace for you to serve.

At any rate, there exists a simple solution to concerns of alleged trojans and other horrors associated with Chinese software: the free 2008 Star Diagnosis software. That release is the very best for older M-Bs, and one would then have a clean Windows XP install and a clean Star Diagnosis install running directly under XP with no virtual machines to slow things down.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:04 PM

So this is probably going to take forever before they are even going to be able to remote into my laptop to activate the software(as they keep suggesting). They just keep asking what software it is before they can get a professional to help. I keep telling them the DAS software, what was preinstalled on the drive, and the version. Maybe a slight communication barrier, or I just don't know what they are specifically asking for...I don't know..

As for another type of OBD tool, I work on other cars and just want to see if I can upgrade to something that will actually work on the issues I got here with this car too. I pretty much narrowed it down to the autel 906bt anyways for my other vehicles. My NT510 that I currently have came in handy for some previous cars, especially a mini cooper, but it does have its disadvantages. Plus its not cheap to keep adding additional makes and its kind of a pain.

I am all about trying to help others as well, so if me getting the Autel and giving back some constructive feedback for some others in the same pickle, then even better.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by bobterry99
They do not seem to understand that the system worked initially, and therefore there are no activation issues. If they require a remote session for you to receive a refund or an exchange, then why not take your laptop to a Starbucks and use their network while the Chinese remote in? Incidentally, countless people have gone through a Teamviewer session with the Chinese and gotten assistance with no consequence.

As an alternative to Star Diagnosis, the $135 N510 Elite is the best value available. It will do everything you would likely use a full-blown Star Diagnosis to do; what it can not do you likely would never have use for anyway. (Someone here may tell you that it won't handle "SCNs" -- and they'd be correct -- but what they don't know is your car has no use for SCNs (Software Calibration Numbers).

If you wouldn't mind explaining. " try to convince members to spend $800 on a system which can not compete with the Chinese." are you saying that his system cannot compete technically? Since in your next post you say his system is exemplary. As for purchases in China for these systems I noticed systems selling in the 250 dollar range and others selling in the 370 dollar range. IS there a difference you think does not exist since PMercury recommends buying the more expensive system. Are you saying PMercury has an interest in people buying a more expensive system? Please clarify as many of us are interested in getting these systems. Thank you in advance Gene
Old 08-22-2020, 07:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gene Fiorot
If you wouldn't mind explaining. " try to convince members to spend $800 on a system which can not compete with the Chinese." are you saying that his system cannot compete technically?
Technically, his installation is essentially the same as the Chinese, though he would try to argue otherwise. Peter (pmercury) has a graphic which contrasts software provided by him with that of the Chinese and shows the Chinese to be inferior. However, Peter is either misinformed about his Chinese competition or is outright lying, for he cites differences which do not exist. Example: Peter claims software from China can not perform offline programming, yet this forum has demonstrated that it quite definitely can. It's my strong belief that Peter can not compete in the marketplace with a shopper who is properly-informed about the difference between buying from him and buying from China.

With Peter you are paying for customer service. Need an SCN for a MY2006 or newer car? (Likely most owners never do.) Peter will provide an SCN for you. Have a question or need assistance with Star Diagnosis? Peter will supply your needs to the best of his ability, and he will even remote-in to your PC. But the rarely-needed SCN can be had for $30 from eBay or a member of the ******* website for use with Chinese-sourced software, and questions are answered and assistance provided for free here on MBWorld and other forums (often from Peter himself!)

Originally Posted by Gene Fiorot
As for purchases in China for these systems I noticed systems selling in the 250 dollar range and others selling in the 370 dollar range. IS there a difference you think does not exist since PMercury recommends buying the more expensive system. Are you saying PMercury has an interest in people buying a more expensive system?
For $370 you get a wireless "C4" multiplexer instead of the wired C3 as was purchased by MBMidas. A C3 is not compatible with models that were introduced after c. MY2014. And while the build quality of all hardware from China is generally dodgy, there is evidence that the C4 may be particularly so. That was certainly the case a couple of years ago as documented on the ******* website. Finally, used wirelessly a C4 requires a communication program integral to Star Diagnosis, while the C3 does not. I have the notion that that added layer of complexity is a problem for some buyers to get working.

It would be refreshing and very beneficial to have an honest and open debate about the different diagnostic products available to R230 owners. Unfortunately that seems not possible to have with Peter, since since he is biased with a strong financial interest.

I believe Peter recommends a multiplexer to purchase and offers none himself. He might get a little kickback from the seller and therefore have an interest in buyers getting the more expensive C4, but I presume that is not the case. I think it is unfortunate that Peter does not share with the forum his advice on which vendors from which to purchase multiplexers. That advice is reserved for members who pay him.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:57 AM

CL
You have no Idea of what you are talking about.

Why would big workshops, professionals, those who do this for living and as in all the reviews have had all kind of installs/hardware acclaim my setup
as the best and only 100% reliable system and service they ever had.

I do not need to repeat hundreds of times explained details more. Trust professionals and members, or just one hater who never ever had the system.

You can turn it around like as you want, but you will never ever get all the functions I provide from any Chinese system.
You will be satisfied if you where lucky that you never needed or as many, regret your buy.

Absolutely NO negative feedback ever, a 100% more than satisfied review score.

I have absolutely no interest on any hardware sales, my links, I provide multiple, are only based on hardware components research

Personally, I prefer giving the less as possible to a dictatorship country that is destroying our economy since years now and gave us Covid19
but that is my personal opinion

PDF with latest reviews attached (workshops and MBworld users)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
reviews.pdf (194.4 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by pmercury; 08-22-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:18 AM
Banned

I ordered my Star Diagnosis in 2008 from a Chinese seller who had previously sold two kits to Renntech. It's worked beautifully ever since.

With a few exceptions everyone on the forums use a Star Diagnosis System sourced from China either via eBay, aliexpress, or dhgate. Satisfaction is practically universal. To wit, just google "Got My MB STAR C4 Diagnostic Tool Today!" and look for a result that links to a Mercedes forum. The thread with that title has been going for more than 5 years and has over 1000 replies. You'll see that everyone is using Star Diagnosis sourced from China.

I'm no longer going to link to any specific items for sale. Instead, post the search parameters which I use to find a Star Diagnosis System for sale. Those include evidence of new relays, price, and feedback from buyers.

Last edited by bobterry99; 08-22-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:38 AM

I can tell you that my time spent trying to deal with the Chinese vendor right now is getting a little taxing. Especially since I am only receiving one response a day with no real attempt to resolve the problem. The response is that the professional needs to know what software to activate. Which I sent many times and with lots of pictures now. I can tell you that I am cheap when it comes to spending my money andI always tend to go the least expensive route...which most of the time it does not work out and I end up having to spend more anyways. Can't seem to break the habit. Case and point with this thread.

Anyhow, I just ordered the Autel MS906BT. Have to wait a week to get it though.

Still not going to give up on the C3 though.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:47 AM

CL
I can tell you that my time spent trying to deal with the Chinese vendor right now is getting a little taxing. Especially since I am only receiving one response a day with no real attempt to resolve the problem. The response is that the professional needs to know what software to activate. Which I sent many times and with lots of pictures now. I can tell you that I am cheap when it comes to spending my money andI always tend to go the least expensive route...which most of the time it does not work out and I end up having to spend more anyways. Can't seem to break the habit. Case and point with this thread.

Anyhow, I just ordered the Autel MS906BT. Have to wait a week to get it though.

Still not going to give up on the C3 though.
autel 906 - 908 is the best option for multiple cars
but it's not cheap
the online versions also provide coding but on MB you might have some small issues with online on headlights for example
Old 08-22-2020, 12:11 PM

Cool! I am really excited for it now. I have a tire machine too, this should also give me the ability to do the some tpms sensors as well. With additional equipment of course.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:35 PM

CL
Cool! I am really excited for it now. I have a tire machine too, this should also give me the ability to do the some tpms sensors as well. With additional equipment of course.
don't worry
you made a good choice

About your Chinese junk install, I would really help you if I could, but as I explained many time, those are not just installs then cracked, the whole stolen fake licence windows system has been manipulated and a bootloader has been added that must be activated. So its not about activating Xentry, its about activating parts in Windows. They steal the stuff, but they try to protect it from being stolen. a real joke
Members here can testify, I've tried
Nobody really knows what else has been modified. Only thing professionals noticed, is that logins to SCN accounts got mysteriously stolen when logging in on them.
only the Chinese know how to fix it , once they are gone and opened a new store with another name, its game over

Last edited by pmercury; 08-25-2020 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:58 PM

From one piece of Chinese equipment to another. Its amazing how much actually comes from there really.

I went to harbor to see about getting the Zurich pro scanner but they didn't have any...they even looked at other stores and nothing. That just made the decision easier with the autel purchase.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:00 PM

CL
From one piece of Chinese equipment to another. Its amazing how much actually comes from there really.

I went to harbor to see about getting the Zurich pro scanner but they didn't have any...they even looked at other stores and nothing. That just made the decision easier with the autel purchase.
autel is better
Old 08-24-2020, 12:51 AM

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts
'07 S65 '05 SL65 '07 GL450 '03 SL55 (sold)
I have an Autel system for my other cars, but when I purchased my (new to me) S65 and SL's, I wanted a diagnostic system that would work when I wanted it to and have support if I needed it. Pmercury is your man if that's what you want too. He can guide you on the various systems to buy and can give guidance on the software system. Contrary to what Bobterry99 has stated above, LOTS of folks have found the Chinese cloned software to have problems and frustration. I do a lot of DIY on my cars, but I don't have time to spend sorting out a software system that has bugs and virtually no support after you receive it. If you want to get educated on a solid software system that will work every time you find the time to work on your car, then reach out to Pmercury. He has helped me and hundreds of other MBWorld members.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JamesMitchell
Contrary to what Bobterry99 has stated above, LOTS of folks have found the Chinese cloned software to have problems and frustration.
Can you cite three members who bought C3-based systems that had problems with the software? (NOT problems activating the software, since that is a trivial task which nevertheless some people have trouble tackling.)

Look, I have the October 2008 release of Star Diagnosis. It is the finest release to have for an older M-B like the R230. It's what I use even though I have a perfectly-working copy of a mid-2014 release which I had been using for three years. So the free path to Star Diagnosis bliss is the way to go. Still, if you bought a Dell with no hard drive from eBay, why not pay $50 for a hard drive loaded up with recent releases of the full suite of M-B software products?
Old 08-24-2020, 05:48 PM

So since the chinese are not being very helpful. I have another 80gig hardrive. What are the chances if I install the 2008 software on it that I could at least connect to the car?
Old 08-24-2020, 06:27 PM

CL
So since the chinese are not being very helpful. I have another 80gig hardrive. What are the chances if I install the 2008 software on it that I could at least connect to the car?
a very big chance if you know how to
those old version need XP and multiple partitions before install

The finest release for C3 is 2014 and not 2008 (that version is just a myth).
People are free to get what they want from vintage to 50$ other brand scanners.
You may even chose a 1100-2900 $ multi-brand Autel if you have multiple cars
All these have their limits from years to functions. Complete & Perfection is not in those.

Be aware that with this old Russian made version below (yes Russian, just scroll the folders once installed) ,
you will get in no way the full functions that you could get with a pro modern install
Especially that this cracked version below is only partially patched
You will not be able to SCN online if needed, update your modules to latest as it has no actualized database and many more functions
and those are the base to save money.
It's all about NEVER needing the dealer again. not "I hope that nothing will happen where I would need a function that I don't have"

The problem here is that this thread confirms that the actual Chinese software is junk and that you will get no support.I have been telling this since ever.
Then, when Truman Terry decided to jump subject to C3, just understand that you can not upgrade software with this hardware ever. you will be stuck in time like him.
so once you understood this, you'll have to get rid of the C3 as hundreds here that listened to him.

Amateur opinion versus pro and advanced users, just read before buying.

Last edited by pmercury; 08-25-2020 at 03:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MBCO (08-27-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 06:38 PM

I have pretty much every version of windows. Got me an i.t. degree under my belt...not saying I am smart, but I use to setup computers for a big company. Worth a shot.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:43 PM
Banned

The download of the software package includes a video detailing the setup of the four partitions (attachment), so you'll have no trouble with that. As stated before, I think yours is a hardware issue, but from what you describe it's certainly worth a shot trying the older software. If you have any problems installing the 2008 software, then I very much want to learn of them and can try to assist either via this forum or phone.

Last edited by bobterry99; 08-24-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:49 PM

Well i got the autel sooner than expected. Looks like its able to do most of what I am after so far. Here now is the pesky code that is triggering the srs light. N1262 is the one that remains.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: New to me SL500 OBD2 Scanner?