SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Looks like a leaking front ABC Strut by Arnott

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
SL55 AMG, Audi S6 V8TT, Audi Q7 3.0 SC
Looks like a leaking front ABC Strut by Arnott

This I did not expect. Back in early 2016 and about 35k miles ago, all four ABC struts on my 2003 SL55 were replaced with Arnott units.
That was only 5 years ago!!!

Well, this past weekend I noticed a small drip on the inside of the front pass side wheel. I saw a drop of oil hanging from the bottom of the strut.
I cleaned it really well, visually inspected the strut, saw NO obvious leaks or wet spots, the protector cover is intact. I drove for a few miles, parked the car in the garage, and this morning I see another drop hanging and a small wet spot under it.

Unless I am missing something, the actual Arnott rebuilt strut must be leaking. The hydraulic line to the strut is dry and healthy, so it has to be the strut itself.

So what are my options...

1. For those who have had leaky ABC struts ... do these leaks get bad quickly or is it more of a keep an eye on the ABC fluid and add a bit more from time to time? My leak is VERY small at this moment. The corner with the leaky strut does not sag, even if the car is parked for a week. I don't drive the car a lot on long trips. Once a week or so. Do I stop driving it until I replace the strut to prevent catastrophic sudden failure ... or can I drive it for a while as is, watching the fluid level?

2. I know that Arnott offers a "lifetime" warranty on their struts. I guess I should contact them directly and ask for help. I do not have the original purchase receipt since the units were replaced 5 yrs ago by a private shop. Any good/bad experience with Arnott anyone wants to share?

3. If I do need to get a new/rebuilt strut and Arnott is not helpful, what are my other options for an affordable solution? I see Strut Master sells rebuilt struts as well at decent price.

4. Yes or No ... on getting a used ABC strut from another car without knowing the age/mileage and condition of them? I see often people sell their used ABC parts due to Coilover conversion.

Some pictures below for reference.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by danmm7; 12-01-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
Do my recipe, then forget about the case for next 5 years.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tommyboy928
Do my recipe, then forget about the case for next 5 years.
Remind me again of the details.

I did put ONE bottle (4oz) of the Full Throttle Multi-System Sealer in the ABC fluid tank. That was 3 days ago. I drove the car just for 1-2 miles after and let it run on my driveway for 15min. The leak is still present on the strut.
The ABC fluid in the system is clean and fresh since I flushed the whole system 6 months ago.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:47 PM

89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
Originally Posted by danmm7
Remind me again of the details.

I did put ONE bottle (4oz) of the Full Throttle Multi-System Sealer in the ABC fluid tank. That was 3 days ago. I drove the car just for 1-2 miles after and let it run on my driveway for 15min. The leak is still present on the strut.
The ABC fluid in the system is clean and fresh since I flushed the whole system 6 months ago.

1 til 2 miles is to little, need drive good trip like 1 hour, heat ABC system up to 80 C, and lift many times on ABC up and down. is the heat that start reaction with expand seal . Do it correct and it will seal up. Will not fix ripped seal, but i think that is not the issue. Go for solid drive, and in a day or 2 its ok. , let me know how it goes. I also think it stored oil from your leak, inside the dust protection ,that also will drip out slowly, so it look like you still have a leak..

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 12-03-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:48 AM

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 SL550, 2006 E350
This I did not expect. Back in early 2016 and about 35k miles ago, all four ABC struts on my 2003 SL55 were replaced with Arnott units.
That was only 5 years ago!!!

Well, this past weekend I noticed a small drip on the inside of the front pass side wheel. I saw a drop of oil hanging from the bottom of the strut.
I cleaned it really well, visually inspected the strut, saw NO obvious leaks or wet spots, the protector cover is intact. I drove for a few miles, parked the car in the garage, and this morning I see another drop hanging and a small wet spot under it.

Unless I am missing something, the actual Arnott rebuilt strut must be leaking. The hydraulic line to the strut is dry and healthy, so it has to be the strut itself.

So what are my options...

1. For those who have had leaky ABC struts ... do these leaks get bad quickly or is it more of a keep an eye on the ABC fluid and add a bit more from time to time? My leak is VERY small at this moment. The corner with the leaky strut does not sag, even if the car is parked for a week. I don't drive the car a lot on long trips. Once a week or so. Do I stop driving it until I replace the strut to prevent catastrophic sudden failure ... or can I drive it for a while as is, watching the fluid level?

2. I know that Arnott offers a "lifetime" warranty on their struts. I guess I should contact them directly and ask for help. I do not have the original purchase receipt since the units were replaced 5 yrs ago by a private shop. Any good/bad experience with Arnott anyone wants to share?

3. If I do need to get a new/rebuilt strut and Arnott is not helpful, what are my other options for an affordable solution? I see Strut Master sells rebuilt struts as well at decent price.

4. Yes or No ... on getting a used ABC strut from another car without knowing the age/mileage and condition of them? I see often people sell their used ABC parts due to Coilover conversion.

Some pictures below for reference.

Thanks in advance!
A year ago, I bought two front Arnott struts for my 07SL from buyautoparts.com
After a few months, one of the struts leaked from the bottom, just as in your picture. I called Arnott and they told me that even though they have unlimited lifetime warranty, replacement should be handled by the selling party. I called buyautoparts and they sent me the replacement strut and the return shipping label for defective one. So contact whoever sold you the struts originally.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:04 AM

How did it go ? guess its sealed up now ?
Old 12-08-2020, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tommyboy928
How did it go? guess its sealed up now ?
Unfortunately, the leak is still here. It is not better and it is not worse. A very slow leak, drop by drop, but still a leak from the strut.
I drove the car for close to 100 miles.....lifted up and down at least 30 times, it made no difference.
I just wiped a drop of fluid again from the strut, after I wiped it clean 4 hours ago. I bet there will be another drop or two tomorrow morning.

This "magic" liquid is not so magical after all. So far - did nothing for my ABC leak.

I Called Arnott to ask for a warranty replacement for the leaky strut. They are asking for an "original receipt", showing the purchase of Arnott replacement parts, etc. Who keeps receipts from a shop for more than 5 years??
I can try to get it from the shop, but it will be a long shot...if they are still in business and if they keep old records.
Arnott's lifetime warranty is pretty useless. It's clearly their strut that's leaking. It has a date of production stamp on it (2015), bar code, their logo, part number..... it is clearly one of their products that failed. I am not trying to trick them and get some cheap Monroe strut replaced with an Arnott unit. They are just looking for a way to not stand behind their warranty.

Last edited by danmm7; 12-08-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:28 AM

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts
R230 350SL
Unfortunately, the leak is still here. It is not better and it is not worse. A very slow leak, drop by drop, but still a leak from the strut.
I drove the car for close to 100 miles.....lifted up and down at least 30 times, it made no difference.
I just wiped a drop of fluid again from the strut, after I wiped it clean 4 hours ago. I bet there will be another drop or two tomorrow morning.

This "magic" liquid is not so magical after all. So far - did nothing for my ABC leak.

I Called Arnott to ask for a warranty replacement for the leaky strut. They are asking for an "original receipt", showing the purchase of Arnott replacement parts, etc. Who keeps receipts from a shop for more than 5 years??
I can try to get it from the shop, but it will be a long shot...if they are still in business and if they keep old records.
Arnott's lifetime warranty is pretty useless. It's clearly their strut that's leaking. It has a date of production stamp on it (2015), bar code, their logo, part number..... it is clearly one of their products that failed. I am not trying to trick them and get some cheap Monroe strut replaced with an Arnott unit. They are just looking for a way to not stand behind their warranty.
I think you’re being a bit unfair. If you bought a part with a lifetime warranty but didn’t keep the receipt, or photo it and put on your phone for example, how do you expect them to honour the lifetime warranty? That’s the deal when you buy the part. I think it’s reasonable for any business to require proof of purchase before supporting a warranty claim. If you can’t provide that proof then that’s a responsibility you have to take a share of.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:56 AM

Is bad if they not stand behind a failed product, 5 year is not long time for this struits, when you say macic dont work, with liqseal , it can be that you still have oil trapped behind the dust boot, that still trapped there, in a month time you will know , anyway this stuff protect the rest of seals and inside rubber the hoses, if its not to late. 2003 is borderline on life hoses.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by matk
I think you’re being a bit unfair. If you bought a part with a lifetime warranty but didn’t keep the receipt, or photo it and put on your phone for example, how do you expect them to honour the lifetime warranty? That’s the deal when you buy the part. I think it’s reasonable for any business to require proof of purchase before supporting a warranty claim. If you can’t provide that proof then that’s a responsibility you have to take a share of.
I hear your point and I don't disagree, but look at this from a different angle. The item in question, a very expensive rebuilt strut, has been clearly rebuilt by Arnott, it has all of their markings, labels, and more importantly, a DATE of rebuilt stamped on it, all clearly visible. There is no question this is an authentic Arnott strut and it is barely 5 years old. The company (Arnott) also advertises very proudly that they offer a LIFETIME warranty on their very expensive struts.
Well.... this is a 5-year-old Arnott strut and it has failed early. Why do I need a piece of paper to prove this?? ALL of the proof is on the strut itself. It's an Arnott strut, 5 yrs old and it is leaking. Simple.
What else will a receipt prove? Fact is - The unit FAILED too early (5yrs & 35k miles only on a well-maintained car), this is the main issue here! Arnott, IMO, should stand behind their products better, given their prices and promises.

Last edited by danmm7; 12-08-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:56 PM
SPONSOR

Received 845 Likes on 655 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
I would email them then send the link to this thread
It worked for me with a similar problem, after all, lifetime is lifetime, unless they are liars
Old 12-08-2020, 01:47 PM

R230 350SL
I hear your point and I don't disagree, but look at this from a different angle. The item in question, a very expensive rebuilt strut, has been clearly rebuilt by Arnott, it has all of their markings, labels, and more importantly, a DATE of rebuilt stamped on it, all clearly visible. There is no question this is an authentic Arnott strut and it is barely 5 years old. The company (Arnott) also advertises very proudly that they offer a LIFETIME warranty on their very expensive struts.
Well.... this is a 5-year-old Arnott strut and it has failed early. Why do I need a piece of paper to prove this?? ALL of the proof is on the strut itself. It's an Arnott strut, 5 yrs old and it is leaking. Simple.
What else will a receipt prove? Fact is - The unit FAILED too early (5yrs & 35k miles only on a well-maintained car), this is the main issue here! Arnott, IMO, should stand behind their products better, given their prices and promises.
Im certain they would stand by their warranty............... if you’d kept the proof of purchase. You haven’t.

You’ll have to contact them and discuss further with them. I understand your frustration, but venting on the forum against Arnott, is not doing you any favours. No one on here (including me) is disagreeing that the product appears faulty.

You discuss what is reasonable? Well I have to say that if I bought an expensive part for my car and it came with a lifetime warranty I would consider it a reasonable expectation to retain the receipt, if for no other reason than I’d want it to help a resale if the car and as part of evidence of service history.

Have Arnott actually told you no? Well all I can see is you made contact and they asked for proof of purchase. I’d say that’s a very reasonable request from them. If you can’t meet that request then I’m assuming you are maintaining dialogue with them to seek a solution and have emailed them other proof, photos of part, stickers, serial numbers etc? The time to attack them is after that process has concluded....... not before!!! Hence I stand by my assertion that you are ( as it stands on based on what you’ve written) being unfair. It’s not the fault of Arnott you have not retained proof of purchase and in the circumstances I’d expect any parts manufacturer to want more evidence before providing what you want. If Arnott are clearly refusing point blank to help you, then (and only at that point) I would be supportive of your case.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by matk
Im certain they would stand by their warranty............... if you’d kept the proof of purchase. You haven’t.

You’ll have to contact them and discuss further with them. I understand your frustration, but venting on the forum against Arnott, is not doing you any favours. No one on here (including me) is disagreeing that the product appears faulty.

You discuss what is reasonable? Well I have to say that if I bought an expensive part for my car and it came with a lifetime warranty I would consider it a reasonable expectation to retain the receipt, if for no other reason than I’d want it to help a resale if the car and as part of evidence of service history.

Have Arnott actually told you no? Well all I can see is you made contact and they asked for proof of purchase. I’d say that’s a very reasonable request from them. If you can’t meet that request then I’m assuming you are maintaining dialogue with them to seek a solution and have emailed them other proof, photos of part, stickers, serial numbers etc? The time to attack them is after that process has concluded....... not before!!! Hence I stand by my assertion that you are ( as it stands on based on what you’ve written) being unfair. It’s not the fault of Arnott you have not retained proof of purchase and in the circumstances I’d expect any parts manufacturer to want more evidence before providing what you want. If Arnott are clearly refusing point blank to help you, then (and only at that point) I would be supportive of your case.

First, I am NOT attacking anyone, I am just sharing my disappointment and personal experience with how a "lifetime" warrantied product has failed only after 35k miles on a well-maintained car and the warranty is useless because of a missing piece of paper. If nothing else, it will help others from dealing with the same situation in the future.

Second, I called Arnott and they specifically told me "no", unless I produce a receipt. No other options. No willingness to work with me, no flexibility, no partial credit, no exception, etc. I wish the shop who installed the struts 5 years ago somehow told me how valuable this receipt is so I can frame it or put it in a safe.

Third, why I have or don't have the receipt is a different issue. Likely misplaced. Still looking for it. The shop may be able to help but it's a long shot. Bottom line - These cars need lots of work/parts and not having a few paper receipts around is not a crime, but clearly, I am learning a lesson.
At the same time, if my struts have the Arnott brand on them and the date of manufacture marked on them is 2015, why is it so crazy and so unreasonable for me to ASK for that lifetime warranty coverage?? It's not like I am showing them some "no-name" beat up strut and claiming that Arnott needs to cover it. It's their work, their part, their stamps and it failed prematurely. I asked them for help, they said "no" without receipt = I am not happy about it and venting.

Fourth, this is a FREE speech forum, last time I checked. Am I expected to ask for your approval or "support of my case" before I vent about a faulty expensive car part that happens to come with so-so warranty coverage? Is that a new rule? I am not sure why you're so fired up about defending Arnott and ignoring the fact that a $600 part they sell with a "lifetime warranty" failed so early and now they are hiding behind a piece of paper instead of working with the person who trusted their brand/claims.
I have to agree with BenzNinja - "lifetime is lifetime" ....everything else is, well not true lifetime.

Last edited by danmm7; 12-08-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:43 PM

R230 350SL
First, I am NOT attacking anyone, I am just sharing my disappointment and personal experience with how a "lifetime" warrantied product has failed only after 35k miles on a well-maintained car and the warranty is useless because of a missing piece of paper. If nothing else, it will help others from dealing with the same situation in the future.

Second, I called Arnott and they specifically told me "no", unless I produce a receipt. No other options. No willingness to work with me, no flexibility, no partial credit, no exception, etc. I wish the shop who installed the struts 5 years ago somehow told me how valuable this receipt is so I can frame it or put it in a safe.

Third, why I have or don't have the receipt is a different issue. Likely misplaced. Still looking for it. The shop may be able to help but it's a long shot. Bottom line - These cars need lots of work/parts and not having a few paper receipts around is not a crime, but clearly, I am learning a lesson.
At the same time, if my struts have the Arnott brand on them and the date of manufacture marked on them is 2015, why is it so crazy and so unreasonable for me to ASK for that lifetime warranty coverage?? It's not like I am showing them some "no-name" beat up strut and claiming that Arnott needs to cover it. It's their work, their part, their stamps and it failed prematurely. I asked them for help, they said "no" without receipt = I am not happy about it and venting.

Fourth, this is a FREE speech forum, last time I checked. Am I expected to ask for your approval or "support of my case" before I vent about a faulty expensive car part that happens to come with so-so warranty coverage? Is that a new rule? I am not sure why you're so fired up about defending Arnott and ignoring the fact that a $600 part they sell with a "lifetime warranty" failed so early and now they are hiding behind a piece of paper instead of working with the person who trusted their brand/claims.
I have to agree with BenzNinja - "lifetime is lifetime" ....everything else is, well not true lifetime.
I think you’re completely missing my point and it’s not my fault you’ve only now produced further background on your communications with Arnott. I made it clear in my previous posts that in the circumstances you are only now explaining, that I’d support your stance.

I don’t recall ever trying to censor you or prevent you saying anything. I simply communicated my opinion much as you have done. Unfortunately you are now coming across as someone very happy to force their own opinion and not even listen to others. I’ll happily bow out of this thread and leave you to carry on venting, hope you feel better soon.
The following users liked this post:
danmm7 (12-08-2020)