SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Steering wheel buttons facelift vs pre facelift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 09:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sl500
Steering wheel buttons facelift vs pre facelift?

Guys,

My Android 7 Seicane head unit is out, a new Android 11 unit is in.
This new unit is NOT suited for the pre-facelift car, but i modified the topcover of the console, so it does fit now.
Works like a dream, very qiuck response and start up, most important: Great FM stereo radio reception! (Seicane rubbish)
The only thing that does not function, is the volume up-down buttons on the steering wheel.
Tune up/down does work and when you open a door, the display shows a car with an opened door, so there must be some can communication going well.
In the CAN interface menu you can select several MB models, but none seems to work completely well.
Does someone know if the resistance values of the buttons from the pre-face lift steering wheel, differ from the facelift one?
Are there universal steering wheel can adapters that could do the trick?

The following users liked this post:
Frederick NL (07-27-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB SL350 Sport/Infiniti FX35
Originally Posted by Boomerang32
Guys,

My Android 7 Seicane head unit is out, a new Android 11 unit is in.
This new unit is NOT suited for the pre-facelift car, but i modified the topcover of the console, so it does fit now.
Works like a dream, very qiuck response and start up, most important: Great FM stereo radio reception! (Seicane rubbish)
The only thing that does not function, is the volume up-down buttons on the steering wheel.
Tune up/down does work and when you open a door, the display shows a car with an opened door, so there must be some can communication going well.
In the CAN interface menu you can select several MB models, but none seems to work completely well.
Does someone know if the resistance values of the buttons from the pre-face lift steering wheel, differ from the facelift one?
Are there universal steering wheel can adapters that could do the trick?
Hi!
On my SL350 2010, I installed Mekede Android and the steering wheel buttons didn't work. I went into the device's Factory Setup and located the make of the car, it was marked for Mazda. I changed it to MB is working perfect.
I needed to ask the code for the seller to enter the Factory Settings.
Maybe it is that.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:45 AM

Sl500
Hi, thanks for your response.
my Mekede was already set to “Mercedes”.
I entered factory settings also and tried all listed MB models, without success.
Think resistance values steering wheel volume buttons differ between facelift/ pre facelift.
Jrampon (08-01-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Hi, thanks for your response.
my Mekede was already set to “Mercedes”.
I entered factory settings also and tried all listed MB models, without success.
Think resistance values steering wheel volume buttons differ between facelift/ pre facelift.

It is not clear (to me) what you mean by "Facelift" and "pre-facelift". At one point, it seems that you are using model year 2005 as "facelift" (and your 2003 or 2004 as "PRE"). From my understanding, there were 2 R230 facelifts (for model year 2007 and 2009). The later (2009) did get a new steering wheel/air bag (3-spoke), but it (the wheel and bag as a pair) is/are 100% backward compatible to 2003. And, the change for 2007 (in the steering wheel) has nothing to do with how the buttons were handled, but rather how the paddles were handled (starting in 2007, AMGs used the same set-up as the "option 428" set-up in non-amgs that had shift buttons/paddles) BUT, in any case, these 2007-2008 AIRBAGS/buttons were 100% interchangeable with ALL previous years of R230s.

While the R230s (ALL years, 2003-2012) do use some old-school voltage coding in the buttons on the wheel, these signals are ALL converted to CANBUS signals in the N80 module BEFORE your aftermarket radio reads them (with its CANBUS decoder). Some of these aftermarket units come with CANBUS boxes that have dip-switches on them (with different configurations for specific models). Have you confirmed that yours either does not have these or has them set correctly? Over the years, I have installed 2 R230 android units, the first did NOT have dip switches on the CANBUS box, but the second DID have dip switch settings for specific mercedes models on its CANBUS box ... AND, it was made by hualingan (the same company that makes the Seicane and many others). Have you reached out to the manufacturer?

I looked online for a pic of the canbus box that comes with a Mekede, and the pic they had was the same unit that came with the Hualingan (which had dip switch settings for specific mercedes models). Here is a pic from the Mekede info I found at aliexpress (note circle I added for dipswitch location). The second picture is that of the Dip switch setting "instructions" that were on the back side of the CANBUS box.

hope that helps

On a related note, I DON"T want to sound like a wise-guy, but as someone who tries to help where I can, it seems like a poor use of my time to try and figure out what year of R230 someone is looking for help with (as there were substantive changes to this model over the years). It would be SO helpful, if those seeking help could include the year in their vehicle description (in the area below their forum name).
Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 08-02-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Jrampon (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 04:22 PM

Sl500
Hi Chris, thanks a lot for your explanation!
it is clear to me now, that i made a mistake.
Because of the pictures that Mekede shows as a warning to which model R230 fits with the Mekede head unit, and which not, I presumed that the later version, the one that NOT has the one piece console cover, was already the first update car.

And the warning that Mekede gave, that their unit only fits the later cars (with the console cover that stops below the cup holder), is probably not only given just for that reason alone.
Things not only differ mechanically, but electronics could be different as well.
Am I right, that the R230 with the short console cover and the wider cup holder, is always the <2008 model with the different steering wheel?
And that the “in between model” still had the one piece console cover AND the early steering wheel? (When the 7 speed gearbox was introduced)

Back to my observations regarding the can bus decoder;
A few years ago a mounted the Seicane unit.
it came with a dip switch decoder.
Setting according it’s reading on the sticker, for SL500, worked ok.

Now the Mekede is mounted, with its own decoder as is delivered with the unit.
No dip switches anymore, selection should be made in the head unit menu now.
In the head unit menu, the B200 model of MB should be selected according to Mekede.
But this does not work for the volume buttons.
All of the other listed models in the menu, do not work either, tried them all.
There is no SL listed!
Mekede states that B200 model and (> 2008) R230 work with the same setting.

I also tried the old dip switch decoder from the seicane.
Same story.

So everything works fine, with both decoders, only volume up/down does not work.
Mekede is looking into this, they say.
I did not tell them yet, that despite their warning, I mounted their unit in an early car......
Maybe this will never work.
As I am thinking now, with the little knowledge I gathered, I would need a decoder that understands the early steering wheel signals AND the new Mekede head unit.
But as I read your comment yet again, you state that the volume up/down signals of a2002 car will not differ from those of a 2009 car.....
Could that later N80 unit be different maybe?

Last edited by Boomerang32; 08-02-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Hi Chris, thanks a lot for your explanation!
it is clear to me now, that i made a mistake.
Because of the pictures that Mekede shows as a warning to which model R230 fits with the Mekede head unit, and which not, I presumed that the later version, the one that NOT has the one piece console cover, was already the first update car.

And the warning that Mekede gave, that their unit only fits the later cars (with the console cover that stops below the cup holder), is probably not only given just for that reason alone.
Things not only differ mechanically, but electronics could be different as well.
Am I right, that the R230 with the short console cover and the wider cup holder, is always the <2008 model with the different steering wheel?
And that the “in between model” still had the one piece console cover AND the early steering wheel? (When the 7 speed gearbox was introduced)

Back to my observations regarding the can bus decoder;
A few years ago a mounted the Seicane unit.
it came with a dip switch decoder.
Setting according it’s reading on the sticker, for SL500, worked ok.

Now the Mekede is mounted, with its own decoder as is delivered with the unit.
No dip switches anymore, selection should be made in the head unit menu now.
In the head unit menu, the B200 model of MB should be selected according to Mekede.
But this does not work for the volume buttons.
All of the other listed models in the menu, do not work either, tried them all.
There is no SL listed!
Mekede states that B200 model and (> 2008) R230 work with the same setting.

I also tried the old dip switch decoder from the seicane.
Same story.

So everything works fine, with both decoders, only volume up/down does not work.
Mekede is looking into this, they say.
I did not tell them yet, that despite their warning, I mounted their unit in an early car......
Maybe this will never work.
As I am thinking now, with the little knowledge I gathered, I would need a decoder that understands the early steering wheel signals AND the new Mekede head unit.
But as I read your comment yet again, you state that the volume up/down signals of a2002 car will not differ from those of a 2009 car.....
Could that later N80 unit be different maybe?
They could I suppose since they used different head units, but if I recall the R230 only used 2 N80s

0285456932 for AMGs through 2006 (and non-paddle non-amg)
and
0335456232 for all non amgs w/paddles for all years and all amgs after 2008

perhaps there is a choice/opportunity to program them differently for later cars?

If your radio is supported by the axxis aswc-1 (which DOES read the CAN in my 2003 SL55) that will work in your car (to allow you to use all 4 buttons on the right of the wheel for volume+, volume- and 4 other funtions (2 functions per button on buttons NOT used for volume, so total of 6 functions which includes volume)

Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 08-02-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
7-speed was introduced in 2004 US, so not sure it has ANYTHING to do with this mystery.
steering wheel change was cosmetic so its relationship to this mystery is only incidental.

2003-2004 US (2002-2003 europe?) had the cover that went around the radio, D2b fibre optic, and NO external Audio Gateway
starting in 2005(-?) US (2004-? europe?) had the cover only went to the bottom of the (wider) cup holders, the fibre optic was now "MOST" and there was an "Audio Gateway" that (if I understand correctly) controlled all of the Audio Inputs and outputs (mounted in a hatch behind the seat IIRC)

I don't know much about changes made after the 2006 US version ... but here are a few thoughts.

Most aftermarket setups I have seen were sized so they could fit in a 2003-2004 US and marketed as "2001-2007" .... Your unit looks to be sized for a 2005 + WITH the cupholders removed (this seems odd that they would even make this product).

perhaps you could post a link to the unit you bought so we could get a better Idea of the intended use?
Old 08-03-2021, 03:00 AM

Sl500
This is the head unit:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10050...495f4c4dSBfud7

(the 6G/64G variant)

And indeed, the cup holder had to go and my console cover had to be shortened and altered.

Last edited by Boomerang32; 08-03-2021 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:21 AM

Sl500
Maybe relevant to mention; my car is a LHD Japan version. (Bought it because of excellent condition and very low milage)
Japanese cars have a different head unit.
But the Seicane and steering wheel buttons worked fine. (after changing the main amp and speakers)

Also maybe relevant to mention; The Mekede head unit is connected with only 4 wires; Ground, Batt + and the two CAN wires.
If I open a door, the Mekede shows a car with an opened door, if I switch the lights on, the buttons in the Mekede are lit as well, if I pull out the ignition key, the Mekede turns of etc.etc.
So a lot of things seem to work very good over the can communication line.

question; the picture of the dip switch can converter shows two settings for SL500.
The Seicane converter was set: up-down-up-down.....yours shows a second setting also!
Why is that?
Should I try that setting again with the Seceine converter maybe?
Old 08-03-2021, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Maybe relevant to mention; my car is a LHD Japan version. (Bought it because of excellent condition and very low milage)
Japanese cars have a different head unit.
But the Seicane and steering wheel buttons worked fine. (after changing the main amp and speakers)

Also maybe relevant to mention; The Mekede head unit is connected with only 4 wires; Ground, Batt + and the two CAN wires.
If I open a door, the Mekede shows a car with an opened door, if I switch the lights on, the buttons in the Mekede are lit as well, if I pull out the ignition key, the Mekede turns of etc.etc.
So a lot of things seem to work very good over the can communication line.

question; the picture of the dip switch can converter shows two settings for SL500.
The Seicane converter was set: up-down-up-down.....yours shows a second setting also!
Why is that?
Should I try that setting again with the Seceine converter maybe?

Well, looking over the link that you provided, it is NOT clear that it WON'T work in your car. The description says, "

Android IPS 9 inch Car GPS Navigation Radio Multimedia Player For Mercedes SL R230 SL350 SL500 SL55 SL600 SL65 2001-2007"

2001-2007 includes your car , I think that when they say, "wont fit" they are purely talking about from a mechanical standpoint (which you corrected by cutting your console cover). It would seam that this head unit was intended for 2005 and later (US SPEC, 2004 and later European spec).

Since your system interface seems to be fairly high-functioning (relative to how the canbus is communicating power messages, etc) it sounds like you could already be at the best setting for you car. It occurs to me that it might be worth it to make a call to https://www.commandonline.co.uk/help...us&mode=update . If there were any changes made to the programming of the car's Canbus interface (N80 module) between 2001 and 2004 R230s, they would likely be familiar with them. I am grasping at straws here, but updated programming in your N80 might be needed for upgrading from the 2001 factory system your car came with to the 2004 factory system that your new radio wants to communicate with (I hope that makes sense). I usually talk with Richard there (he is quite knowledgeable).

as to your question about the second "sl500" dip switch option ... I don't recall which specific settings worked for me, but there are only 16 choices (so you could try them all : ) HOWEVER, it seems likely that the seicane unit wont interface with your new unit.

HTH,
Chris

Old 08-03-2021, 12:35 PM

Sl500
Thanks a lot Chris, I will contact Richard as soon as I am back from Hollidays.
We are in the Genua region at the moment, enjoying the SL to the max.
What a blessing it is, driving along the Italian riviera in this type of car

Another thought, I could ask benzninja for help, trying to update the software of the N80 module maybe?
Is it possible to update software in that module you think?
Overall, the Mekede unit is a huge improvement over the Seicane.
Resolution in sound is great, especially when Tidal is playing via android auto.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Thanks a lot Chris, I will contact Richard as soon as I am back from Hollidays.
We are in the Genua region at the moment, enjoying the SL to the max.
What a blessing it is, driving along the Italian riviera in this type of car

Another thought, I could ask benzninja for help, trying to update the software of the N80 module maybe?
Is it possible to update software in that module you think?
Overall, the Mekede unit is a huge improvement over the Seicane.
Resolution in sound is great, especially when Tidal is playing via android auto.
Once (if) you find out that there is an update that addresses this (could also be an option setting in Star), I would think that Peter (Benzninja) would certainly be able to help you with that.
Enjoy the Holiday,
Chris
Old 08-04-2021, 04:31 AM
SPONSOR

Received 791 Likes on 613 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Once (if) you find out that there is an update that addresses this (could also be an option setting in Star), I would think that Peter (Benzninja) would certainly be able to help you with that.
Enjoy the Holiday,
Chris
even when you are on the road by connecting my system to your mobile hotspot
i'm with you live remote, wherever you go

Last edited by BenzNinja; 08-04-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:27 AM

Sl500
Well, Peter helped me out again, by confirming that the N80 module of my car has the same ordering number as the unit from a 2005 EU car.
So no need for exchanging modules.
Problem has to be found in the head unit software or can decoder.
BenzNinja (08-04-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 03:31 PM

Sl500
Plugged Star diagnose back on today. Checked “ information and communication” and went to “actual values”.
Bizar; Volume down now only seldom responds, volume up: not at all!
So, big dumb mistake, not to check this thoroughly first.
Strange coincident as well, buttons starting to fail AFTER exchanging the head unit.
Will be continued.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:12 PM

Sl500

It was the grey connector that had quite a few bad soldering points.
Did them all...FIXED!!
Jrampon (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 02:14 PM
SPONSOR

Received 791 Likes on 613 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
It was the grey connector that had quite a few bad soldering points.
Did them all...FIXED!!
lol so it was just that
great job !
Jrampon (08-18-2021)