SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Problem with my SL600?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Problem with my SL600?

Not much to complain about during my first two months and 1,600 miles of ownership. The SL600 provides a quiet comfortable ride, it handles well and accelerates like a demon. Even the brakes are a pleasant surprise given the mostly negative commentary about SBC.

Yesterday something unexpected happened. I was merging onto the highway from the on ramp, probably travelling at 20 mph or so, and given that the road ahead was clear, I thought I would see how this thing accelerated. I mashed the gas pedal to the floor, and much to my surprise, instead of rocketing to 70 mph, it felt as if the car was going to stall. It didn't stall but it gave a couple of jerks. I quickly eased off the gas, and gently brought it up to highway speed. I tried to replicate the anomaly, but was unable to. The car operated normally for the rest of the trip home.

I have experienced sluggishness on occasion as I have accelerated, but nothing like this. I attributed the previous sluggishness to the adaptive transmission or possibly the turbo lag, but I don't know what to make of my experience yesterday. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was the engine/gearbox still cold? The engine management may have wanted to avoid downshifts so that the engine is not thrashed when cold. Either that or the gearbox couldnt downshift because it was cold, too much torque not enough revs or something like that.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:32 AM
TCM

2001 BMW M5
Could this have been caused by wheelspin and ESP snapping in to avoid it? Many times, that will cause the jerkiness/hesitation in the acceleration as it alters the engine dynamics to avoid more wheelspin.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Twinturbo-- yes the car was warmed up when the incident occurred.

TCM-- I considered that it might be the ESP system, but if it was, it was a pretty rude (and dangerous) way for the system to intervene. There was no wheel spin when it happened. It did feel more as if the car was going to stall.

I drove the car again today and it behaved flawlessly; I guess I am going to have to try to recreate the situation to see if it recurs.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Just take it in for service and let the expert techs handle it. Keep messin with the thing and you might cause more problems.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:44 PM

11 ML350
Defently let the dealer take a look at it, couldn't hurt.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I got back my car yesterday from a SBC upgrade. I noticed 3 things that is driving me nuts. I never had these problems until after the SBC upgrade.

1. My car stall when I drove on the main street from the dealers drive way.
2. The car stall today when I accelerated from a stop sign.
3. We have to press the brakes to the stopper in order to stop. I almost rear ended someone. In the past, we just barely press on the brake and the car would stop.
4. The car seems to be more bouncy.

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2004, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Surprises me - the work done on my brakes has greatly improved them - the items like stalling should not have happened. Take it back to the dealer!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:14 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
but Tigger...when you take it back to the dealer....don't drive fast!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I got back my car yesterday from a SBC upgrade. I noticed 3 things that is driving me nuts. I never had these problems until after the SBC upgrade.

1. My car stall when I drove on the main street from the dealers drive way.
2. The car stall today when I accelerated from a stop sign.
3. We have to press the brakes to the stopper in order to stop. I almost rear ended someone. In the past, we just barely press on the brake and the car would stop.
4. The car seems to be more bouncy.

vac leak? or fluid leak? That seems very odd.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,289 Likes on 2,043 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I had the SBC brake update done as well (took quite long as the recall required to bleed the brake lines; apparently required on some cars).

The car drives as before but the brake feel is harder. While the physical braking is the same, the perceived pedal feedback is actually more like a standard hydraulic brake. I does grip very hard when pressed.

Like tiggerfink I had to get used to it because the brakes used to respond on a much lighter touch, which I didn't necessarily minded.

But again, this is what so many people had griped about earlier. Now the car feels like it has normal brakes.

Wolfman
Old 11-05-2004, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
The brakes felt better on my way to the dealer today. Dealer ran the diags and everything is fine. I just do not like the new feel of the pedal. Now I have to press a little further on the pedal to stop the car at 30 MPHs. On my car, the SBC software just needed to be upgraded. Car was made in March 2004. I tested the brakes this afternoon on my SLK320, SL500, and my Monto Carlo rental, and the brake pedal on the SL500 does not feel as firm as the other cars anymore.

My wife made a comment that she does not get whip lash anymore when she drives the SL500.

Dealer also told me that the cold weather may delay the transmission for accelerating.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 11-05-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The change in the brake pedal feel is interesting because the feel is created artificially and will not have been changed by the upgrade. What may have changed is the relationship between brake pedal position and the braking force generated and hence retardation.

Seems to me the perception of brake feel is linked to how hard (and therefore far) you have to press the brake pedal to achieve a given braking effect, rather than the absolute level of resistance offered by the pedal. If the braking force now increases more rapidly with brake pedal depression than it did, you will not have to press the pedal as far, the resistance offered will be less and the brakes will appear softer. Conversely, if you need to press the brake pedal further to achieve the same braking effect, the brakes will appear harder.

It's possible the software update has re-mapped the relationship between pedal distance and braking pressure. For us with older cars, it's good news because the brakes now inspire great confidence.