SL/R230: 2005 SL600 Wood Steering wheel and shifter buttons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
2005 SL600 Wood Steering wheel and shifter buttons

When you order the SL600 with the AMG Sports package it says you get fingertip shift contols on the steering wheel.

I have this on my SL55 which has an all black steering wheel with the shifters on the back.

I have seen pictures of new 2005 SL600's with Sport packages and they have the wooden steering wheel. Are the shifter buttons still located on the steering wheel?

In other words, do the 2005 SL600's with sport packages come with shifter buttons on the back of a WOODEN steering wheel?
Old 10-16-2004, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL 500
The stearing wheel gearshift controls are located just in back of the stearing wheel on the left and right. There are no gear shift buttons on the stearing wheel itself. You can use these buttons to either upshift or downshift. You can also select gears by tapping the gearshift lever right and left. I am still waiting for my car, so this is not coming from hands on experience; however, what I gave you is strait from the 2005 operator's manual.

The touchshift system on the SL 500 and 600 are not true "manuals". Only the 55 and 65 have true manual shift programs. I am not sure about the specifics of this, but maybe one of the more experienced forum members can explain.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks but if you look at the sales brochure they show the buttons on the back of the steering wheel for the SL600 sport package. Are you saying there are controls just past the back of the steering wheel?

On the AMG they are on the back of the steering wheel but it is an all black leather wheel and the SL600 comes with a wooden wheel.

There is someone on here that just got a SL600 with a sports package and I hope he reads this thread so he can tell us for sure.

Thanks and we will see what happens.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
The answer to your question is yes.

The wooden steering wheel comes standard on the SL600-- specifying the sport package will not change that. However, if you opt for the heated steering wheel, you will not be able to get the steering wheel mounted shift buttons, but you can still have the rest of the sport package features.

My view is that without the steering wheel shift buttons, the sport package does not add alot, except cost, and the wheels actually detract. Choices, choices...

Last edited by JackStraw; 10-17-2004 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JackStraw
The answer to your question is yes.

The wooden steering wheel comes standard on the SL600-- specifying the sport package will not change that. However, if you opt for the heated steering wheel, you will not be able to get the steering wheel mounted shift buttons, but you can still have the rest of the sport package features.

My view is that without the steering wheel shift buttons, the sport package does not add alot, except cost, and the wheels actually detract. Choices, choices...
I am sorry but what you are saying is not correct. You do not have a choice about the shifter buttons on the sports package. They come with this package and you can not delete it. It is true however that if you get the sports package, you can not get the heated steering wheel.

So, then I assume what you are saying is that the shifter buttons are in fact on the wooden steering wheel in the sports package? Do you know this for sure or are you just supposing?

Thanks, not trying to be difficult, just what you said is not correct.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
For Sure

I have a 2005 SL600 with the AMG Sport Package, this steering wheel has wood one it, that matches the other wood in the interior. There are buttons on the back side of the steering wheel on both the left and right side for shifting. If you want a picture of it, just let me know and I can get you one.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
I am sorry but what you are saying is not correct. You do not have a choice about the shifter buttons on the sports package. They come with this package and you can not delete it. It is true however that if you get the sports package, you can not get the heated steering wheel.

So, then I assume what you are saying is that the shifter buttons are in fact on the wooden steering wheel in the sports package? Do you know this for sure or are you just supposing?

Thanks, not trying to be difficult, just what you said is not correct.
You might be right about not being able to delete the shifter buttons from the sport package, but I'd be surprised. The only reason they are offering the shifter buttons with the sport package this year is that they have overproduced other less desirable components of the package (i.e. the wheels) that they need to move. I suspect that the request to delete the shifter buttons from the sport package has actually never been made, since the shifter buttons are highly desirable, more highly desirable than the heated steering wheel, in my opinion.

StephenK is correct (of course-- he has first hand knowledge) and no, I was not supposing.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JackStraw
You might be right about not being able to delete the shifter buttons from the sport package, but I'd be surprised. The only reason they are offering the shifter buttons with the sport package this year is that they have overproduced other less desirable components of the package (i.e. the wheels) that they need to move. I suspect that the request to delete the shifter buttons from the sport package has actually never been made, since the shifter buttons are highly desirable, more highly desirable than the heated steering wheel, in my opinion.

StephenK is correct (of course-- he has first hand knowledge) and no, I was not supposing.
StephenK has the car and he has given us the definative answer. With respect to the shifter buttons, I was at the dealer today and you can not delete these buttons. When we went into the OnStar ordering system and added the sports package, a screen came up and said that you can not have the sports package with the heated wheel. Once we deleted the heated wheel, he was able to process the change to a sports package. There is no option to delete the shifters with the sports package.

Thanks for your help thought. Much appreciated.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StephenK
I have a 2005 SL600 with the AMG Sport Package, this steering wheel has wood one it, that matches the other wood in the interior. There are buttons on the back side of the steering wheel on both the left and right side for shifting. If you want a picture of it, just let me know and I can get you one.
Thank you very much for clearing this up. It is greatly appreciated. I decided today to get the sports package so I added it at the dealer.

Hoping this car comes soon. Scheduled for production in the third decade of November. Seems like light years away.

Again, many thanks,