SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: All buttons on steering wheel sound (honk) horn...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL500
All buttons on steering wheel sound (honk) horn...

Always try a search first, and may be missing something, but no dice...What's the fix?
Old 12-03-2023, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
That's a new one. The buttons are really small modules that transmit data over the clock spring. This allows you to have all of the switches on the wheel without an extremely complex rotary connection. The right side is the master that is actually connected to the clock spring. The left side transmits data to the right side switch module. The data is read by the steering column module and distributed to other modules over CAN. My first guess would be a problem with the clock spring since it is the moving part and likely the most prone to failure. After that, I would suspect the right side switch and then the steering column module. The clock spring is three conductors: power, ground, data. There are actually two clock springs, one for the switches and one for the airbag ignitors (steering wheel bag has two ignitors).
Old 12-03-2023, 08:34 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by MikeJ65
That's a new one. The buttons are really small modules that transmit data over the clock spring. This allows you to have all of the switches on the wheel without an extremely complex rotary connection. The right side is the master that is actually connected to the clock spring. The left side transmits data to the right side switch module. The data is read by the steering column module and distributed to other modules over CAN. My first guess would be a problem with the clock spring since it is the moving part and likely the most prone to failure. After that, I would suspect the right side switch and then the steering column module. The clock spring is three conductors: power, ground, data. There are actually two clock springs, one for the switches and one for the airbag ignitors (steering wheel bag has two ignitors).
Mike, I feel like the first time I hit the left scroll buttons a couple of weeks ago, this did not happen (nothing happened, actually - assumed they were out somewhere along their route). On two drives this week I just out of curiosity try all 4 buttons (this car is new to me) and they all "HONK" just breezing over them 😆
Old 12-04-2023, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 191 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Don't know what breezing over means here, but aren't your buttons dead and aren't you just pushing them so hard that you're actually pushing the 'big' pad that is supposed to activate the horn?
Old 12-04-2023, 11:13 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by Frederick NL
Don't know what breezing over means here, but aren't your buttons dead and aren't you just pushing them so hard that you're actually pushing the 'big' pad that is supposed to activate the horn?
'Fraid not. Breezing over implying not mashing them. Typical gentle press = "honk". All 4 buttons.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
SL55 AMG
I’ve had this issue on two different SL55’s and from memory give you the fix that worked for me. I did a quick search and cannot find this again but here goes from memory. My friend’s SL55 got so bad the horn would come on permanently until the fuse was pulled.

Disconnect the Consumer battery
There’s 2 screws on the back of the steering wheel to remove the airbag. Seems like they were star screws but can’t really remember.
Pull off cover and carefully disconnect airbag wires ( I’m sure you can find a better description / video how to do this).
There’s 4 springs at the ‘corners’ that are likely collapsed that they allow constant or intermittent contact of the horn with little or no pressure. With your hands elongate / stretch the springs.
Put everything back together.

I did this about 5 years ago and it’s been fine ever since. Let us know if this works for you as well.

Last edited by Wings55; 12-05-2023 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:08 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by Wings55
I’ve had this issue on two different SL55’s and from memory give you the fix that worked for me. I did a quick search and cannot find this again but here goes from memory. My friend’s SL55 got so bad the horn would come on permanently until the fuse was pulled.

Disconnect the Consumer battery
There’s 2 screws on the back of the steering wheel to remove the airbag. Seems like they were star screws but can’t really remember.
Pull off cover and carefully disconnect airbag wires ( I’m sure you can find a better description / video how to do this).
There’s 4 springs at the ‘corners’ that are likely collapsed that they allow constant or intermittent contact of the horn with little or no pressure. With your hands elongate / stretch the springs.
Put everything back together.

I did this about 5 years ago and it’s been fine ever since. Let us know if this works for you as well.
Wings! Thanks man! This is precisely what I did this morning. I think I recall the removal of the airbag requiring a thin-shaft, 4" long 27T torx (for future readers - kind of specifically required). A spring stretch seems to have done the trick for me as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by RNLD:
g0rsq (12-06-2023), Wings55 (12-06-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 12:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2007 Gl450 2006 cls55
i had the same problem and to fit i backed the 2 screws that attach the airbag to the steering wheel then retighten them but not so tight problem solved
Old 12-23-2023, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kia picanto
The wire runs inside the controlling center and down the segment. Some place in there it has scratched against the metal enough to wear the protection off the wire. I would wager cash that in the event that you pull the haggle (need a guiding wheel puller and the right estimated ring nut attachment to get the center point off) you will effectively find the spot that is worn. I'm certain it's up close to the top where the wire moves a great deal when you steer. You could likewise begin by again pulling the horn button and afterward pull a touch of the wire up through the hole in the wheel to check whether it's simply an inch or two down. you should have the option to get another inch or so of wire up into the horn region to investigate, then, at that point, push it back down.

snaptube vidmate

Last edited by sdhayuj; 12-23-2023 at 02:37 PM.